• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Disc Innovations/Unique Molds

Berg is pretty new but it's the most unique disc I've thrown. It's incredibly slow -- a true speed 1 disc. It has a headwind-fighting 0 turn, and yet still fades pretty minimally like your average putter mold. And the shape of the disc is really bizarre...kind of a thumb track with big volcano dome in the middle.

The disc shape and flight characteristics are unique, and the speed class is rare. It's a pretty one-of-a-kind mold in my book.

The berg isn't kastaplast's most unique disc though IMHO, the Rask, with its extra wing is much more unique.

Also, the stego... anybody else think of a precious disc that essentially had a head on the top as well as the bottom?

Nope in 1998 the Max Flight 2 piece mold came out by Wham-O, a unique mold. Was not PDGA approved until 1999, The Two Piece mold being the controversy.

Amongst the falsehoods in the this statement (there is no Max Flight 2 on the PDGA approved list; Wham-O had zero approved discs in 1998 and 1999, etc) there is actually one tasty little morsel of info. Wham-O does indeed have a disc called "Max Flight" which appears to be a two-piece disc, although not in the same way as current overmold design. It is like no other disc I've ever seen, and is PDGA approved: https://www.pdga.com/technical-standards/equipment-certification/discs/max-flight

Who has thrown this Frankenstein's Monster of a disc? How does it fly? I can't believe this thing is actually PDGA legal.

Amongst the falsehoods in the this statement (there is no Max Flight 2 on the PDGA approved list; Wham-O had zero approved discs in 1998 and 1999, etc) there is actually one tasty little morsel of info. Wham-O does indeed have a disc called "Max Flight" which appears to be a two-piece disc, although not in the same way as current overmold design. It is like no other disc I've ever seen, and is PDGA approved: https://www.pdga.com/technical-standards/equipment-certification/discs/max-flight

Who has thrown this Frankenstein's Monster of a disc? How does it fly? I can't believe this thing is actually PDGA legal.

When my friend got one in 1998 birthday, the mold was an overmold but his was not either modern overmold or old overmold version. His Max Flight was closer to the old mold but had a more slanted inward edge that was similar to the original but more slanted inward like that one disc from Snap Disc and not a true lid.

The company Snap Discs had a catch disc in 2000's that was between a lid putter and a catch disc in terms of the mold and was not quite a true lid as the wing/edge was slanted inward a tad. I forget the name of said mold from the company.

I Can think of only one reason the ~160 gram only mold is legal, it is Wham-O the first brand with PDGA approved discs back when one could only use Wham-O Disc and molded disc at PDGA tournaments. That is the only reason the mold is PDGA legal.

The Prometheus is a great example of why drivers don't need a large diameter.

The Prometheus is a great example of why drivers don't need a large diameter.

Same for a mold that Innova made, the Scorpion. It was an odd mold as that was a disc that was great in the distance you could get but from the testimony of long time players on here the mold was less controllable for being a driver then midrange are in 180 gram max diameters.

Banger GT and Nova are a couple I think are unique that haven't been mentioned. Gotta say Berg and Rask are up there for sure.

Banger GT and Nova are a couple I think are unique that haven't been mentioned. Gotta say Berg and Rask are up there for sure.

I mentioned Nova and another person mentioned the Bangor GT.

Another is not for the mold shape but how soft the disc was, every round you needed to cycle in a new disc for the Discwing's Quarter K, they made discs until 2010, but due to the original Quarter K in that soft plastic, the mold was the least durable PDGA approved disc golf disc made besides seeing the old plastic 10 meter Brick shatter if it hit anything too hard including chains, new plastic is now floppier then the Gumputt molds and Blowfly/II.

I didn't feel like reading through the entire thread, to be honest. :p

How about the Sonic?

I did that too mentioning how the mold is the only fastback PDGA approved that is in the smallest Disc Golf Diameter set mentioning that, Hero Discs an Innova company has a few others PDGA appoved, as does Wham-O with the original Fastback, And Latitude 64 with the Bite that is also made for Discmania.

Another uinque mold, the Impact very unpopular and dur to that made OOP due to the hatch marks on the wing.

Shark, for the way the wing has that odd molding to it with the shelf thing, something somebody only pointed out recently. Other similar molds from other companies do not have this molding mark. If I made a mold in this vain like the Shark, I would not put the shelf but rather copy a Magnet wing shape and put that onto a Shark top and nose design seeing what I get, then if it works make a Flat top version called the Level top or something.

The Gator/Mortar/Cayman, then Spider, molds that all are Rounded wing Putter shapes but in a Midrange shape. Not too many do this for the faster 5 speed discs.

Latest posts