• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc modification, what am I missing?

Al Dente

Par Member
"A disc which has been modified after production such that its original flight characteristics have been altered is illegal, excepting wear from usage during play and the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrapes. Discs excessively sanded, or painted with a material of detectable thickness, are illegal."

This rule seems unnecessary to me, and impossible to enforce. Have any of you successfully modified a disc? Have any of you been the victim of a player who you suspect modifies their discs? I have purchased a couple of meathooks and tried to break them in more quickly. I employed the usual techniques of heating, bending, sanding, tumble drying and found them to be a waste of time. It didn't seem that a reliable outcome could be produced or reproduced. Frankly, I don't care whether you've taken 10 years beating in your disc or spent 10 minutes running it over with your car. You still have to throw it well. If you can beat me with a disc that has been run through a wood chipper and has a quarter size hole in its top, good for you. What circumstance prompted this rule to be written?

Regardless of the sport, there always seem to be silly rules; unenforceable, vague or simply ignored.

I've successfully modified many discs, just to see what would happen. The rule might have come from the ancient practice of adding weight to the rim, I don't know. Anyway, it's another of the several rules I don't care about, and I wouldn't complain if I knew my competition was using illegal discs.

It's not as much about performance but "safety" considerations. Modifications like punching holes in the flight plate might weaken the disc making it more vulnerable to come apart. Sharpening an already sharp rim or carving out little notches around the rim like the now banned Turbo Putter would make the rim less safe. In addition, what would prevent someone from shaving the rim all the way around so the disc diameter is less than 21 cm.

If you can beat me with a disc that has been run through a wood chipper and has a quarter size hole in its top, good for you.

And if you beat me with that disc I'd snitch. The rules are cut and dry about that part.

"A disc which is cracked or has a hole in it is illegal."

I've got nothing else.

It's not as much about performance but "safety" considerations. Modifications like punching holes in the flight plate might weaken the disc making it more vulnerable to come apart. Sharpening an already sharp rim or carving out little notches around the rim like the now banned Turbo Putter would make the rim less safe. In addition, what would prevent someone from shaving the rim all the way around so the disc diameter is less than 21 cm.

Honestly, I hadn't thought about safety considerations. I was focused on performance enhancing changes. None of what you've suggested sounds like it would improve a discs flight, but that doesn't mean that some fool wouldn't turn their disc into a flying guillotine. I live in a bubble of reasonable, thoughtful people. I need to spend more time on social media watching people abuse themselves and others for likes, views and subscribers.

Many rules exist for worst case scenarios, including ones you can't imagine. What might someone do, with free reign to modify discs? (I once wanted to cut a wedge out of a disc, to create a rollaway-proof disc for steep slopes, though that would have probably violated the broken plate rule).

There wasn't a rule about the shape of discs, until they came out with weird things like the Turbo and Wheel. Why? Because nobody imagined someone would do such a thing. No telling where that trend might have gone if the PDGA hadn't stopped it.

On the benigner side, this may just be a relic of a time when there were few molds, and the fear that tournaments might become contests of who could soup up their discs the best. These days, I can't imagine you can change the flight characteristics in any way that doesn't match a disc that's already on the market.

Many rules exist for worst case scenarios, including ones you can't imagine. What might someone do, with free reign to modify discs? (I once wanted to cut a wedge out of a disc, to create a rollaway-proof disc for steep slopes, though that would have probably violated the broken plate rule).

There wasn't a rule about the shape of discs, until they came out with weird things like the Turbo and Wheel. Why? Because nobody imagined someone would do such a thing. No telling where that trend might have gone if the PDGA hadn't stopped it.

On the benigner side, this may just be a relic of a time when there were few molds, and the fear that tournaments might become contests of who could soup up their discs the best. These days, I can't imagine you can change the flight characteristics in any way that doesn't match a disc that's already on the market.

Have you ever been to a pinewood derby? Dads go way out of their way to soup up (isn't that a dukes of hazard term?) the kids cars. Even with rules, they still find ways to circumnavigate.

These days, I can't imagine you can change the flight characteristics in any way that doesn't match a disc that's already on the market.

Rockets. CO2 cartridges. Drone propellers. Lead tape around the inside of the rim. Sharp metal edges. Flywheels. Spring-loaded drop weights. Wings that pop out. Ablative materials. Pink paint. Neodymium magnets on putters. Viscous putters. Carving in or adding on barchan dune shapes.

Rockets. CO2 cartridges. Drone propellers. Lead tape around the inside of the rim. Sharp metal edges. Flywheels. Spring-loaded drop weights. Wings that pop out. Ablative materials. Pink paint. Neodymium magnets on putters. Viscous putters. Carving in or adding on barchan dune shapes.

Your post makes me feel embarrassed for my lack of imagination. If I meet a disc golfer whose employed any of the above, I'm just going to assume that he's a Bond villain.

Haha that's a heck of a list! I've messed with some discs but not like that... I do have my rotating basket though so Muuuuhahahahaha!

I've had success messing with discs, either unwarping or artificially breaking them in, I've also made a few unthrowable. There's definitely an art to tuning.

It's about fair competition.. If it's not "stock" off the shelf then it's an unfair advantage. I heard a rumour innova or someone did a 20 or 50 disc run at some point just so a pro could throw a custom disc/or plastic. Don't know if it's true...

One of the local legends was talking about when the driver/ putter(?) first came out and he played a tournament (somewhere?) and he was the only guy that had an Eagle(?) Maybe an Aviar... Everyone else didn't have one and he ended up blowing the doors off, just nuked them on distance... They told him if he came back next year he couldn't bring it.

And I thought.. Damn that's an "OG discer" right there!

Last edited:

I'm currently seeking funding for a disc manufacturing company tentatively named Nd Discs. The business plan is to be a boutique manufacturer specializing in metalflake putters.

I'm currently seeking funding for a disc manufacturing company tentatively named Nd Discs. The business plan is to be a boutique manufacturer specializing in metalflake putters.

Will the metal flakes be made of neodymium magnets?

Will the metal flakes be made of neodymium magnets?

Due to ethical and possibly legal constraints I'm unable to say either yes or no. I'll say this: I can't say they "seek" chains; but they are "attracted" to them. Also, if you do hit the cage, roll aways are unlikely.

Due to ethical and possibly legal constraints I'm unable to say either yes or no. I'll say this: I can't say they "seek" chains; but they are "attracted" to them. Also, if you do hit the cage, roll aways are unlikely.

And you may find it difficult to extract the putter from the target

Latest posts