• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc on top of basket rule change?

Why? I thought the rules were pretty clear about the disc having to be in the basket.

Personally, I have always thought that landing on top is way more difficult and should definitely count as a made putt.

Why? I thought the rules were pretty clear about the disc having to be in the basket.

Personally, I have always thought that landing on top is way more difficult and should definitely count as a made putt.

Yes. Rule is inside the basket, but a buddy said he heard they were changing the rule so that landing on top counts as in the basket. I couldn't find any support for his rumor so I asked here. I don't expect it should change.

Another buddy has a home course, and he has made it clear on HiS course, on top counts as in.

Makes perfect sense to me.
DROT's simply came in too high.

putts.jpg
**** where did that diagram go... I just saw it, 6 discs I don't know if one was on top... I remember 6 haha... the only one that wasn't in was the one that entered from the front through the cage, unless people saw it cross through the chains/near side . One hanging on the front of the hooks was in... :O

Nm I googled it you lazy _____s

https://www.pdga.com/faq/rules/qa-com

Not in.. Still nubs is good!

Last edited:
seedlings said:
Is there any official talk about changing the rule for a disc landing on top of the basket?

No.

seedlings said:
Yes. Rule is inside the basket, but a buddy said he heard they were changing the rule so that landing on top counts as in the basket.

Stop being his buddy. He is lying to you.

seedlings said:
Another buddy has a home course, and he has made it clear on HiS course, on top counts as in.

I would start to question who your buddies are.

Is his course a mini course? The Mini Disc Golf Federation has a different rule about that.

That picture becomes less needed in 2022.

Why and how so? Has this become a feelgood millennial sport where a good try is enough?!! I need pictures goddammit.. Diagrams are. Better. Spell it out for me haha.

And memes!

Lots of pdga approved memes.

Why and how so? Has this become a feelgood millennial sport where a good try is enough?!! I need pictures goddammit.. Diagrams are. Better. Spell it out for me haha.

And memes!

Lots of pdga approved memes.

2022-ORDG.807.B In order to complete a hole with a basket target, the thrower must release the disc and it must come to rest supported by the tray or the chains below the chain support.

Rule has gone back to being simple in 2022.

Rule has gone back to being simple in 2022.
2022-ORDG.807.B In order to complete a hole with a basket target, the thrower must release the disc and it must come to rest supported by the tray or the chains below the chain support.

So is it correct that the yellow #5 is no longer a good putt? It is neither supported by the chains nor the tray. (Obviously a rare occurrence anyway.)

Last edited:
Obviously a rare occurrence anyway.
...and only becoming even more rare as more and more baskets have Innova style chastity belts around the upper part of the structure:

Disccraft Chainstar Pro
Prodigy
MVP Black Hole
Dynamic Discs
Discgolf Park
Pretty sure even Lat 64 baskets have bands.

DGA newest basket (Mk VII) doesn't have the band,but the upper assy has that bevel that makes hanging up on the upper assy much less likely.

You'd really need to play a course with DGA Mk III's or some relatively obscure basket for that to happen.

Last edited:

So is it correct that the yellow #5 is no longer a good putt? It is neither supported by the chains nor the tray. (Obviously a rare occurrence anyway.)

Way we always played was #3 and 4 were good.. The rest did not count. But you'd hope someone would knock #5 or 1 in for you with their putt.

it's funny, when I play by myself, I'm pretty hard on myself (no mulligans, stepping out of brush, etc). yet I always count my basket top putt. :)

Correct.

#5 should still be good since it is in contact with and technically "supported" by the chains. The revised rule does not say "solely" supported by the tray or chains below the chain support. So, it appears discs landing outside the tray AND in contact with it will now have holed out? Let's say the tray is mounted in a cluster of tree trunks and the disc lands wedged between a trunk and tray. Sounds like that has holed out per the revised rule? Or let's say the disc lands outside the tray but leaning on it in the attached basket photo.

Attachments

• Hole 16 short basket web.jpg
    Hole 16 short basket web.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 58
#5 should still be good since it is in contact with and technically "supported" by the chains. The revised rule does not say "solely" supported by the tray or chains below the chain support. So, it appears discs landing outside the tray AND in contact with it will now have holed out? Let's say the tray is mounted in a cluster of tree trunks and the disc lands wedged between a trunk and tray. Sounds like that has holed out per the revised rule? Or let's say the disc lands outside the tray but leaning on it in the attached basket photo.

5 does not look good as it is only touching the chain support. If it is touching the chains, then it is good.

Is there any official talk about changing the rule for a disc landing on top of the basket?

currently, it is possible for a disc on top of a basket to count.

QA-COM-2: I putted and my disc stayed on top of the basket. Now what?

You have not completed the hole (unless your disc somehow entered the target correctly before landing on top). Mark your lie below the disc and continue.

in 2022, this will no longer be the case.

Latest posts