• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Prices Out of Control

for a disc that 99.5% of the population has exactly zero need for.

Not sure I agree with this completely. I found myself throwing it 4 times last weekend. 3 times to get out of jail and do a 90 degree bend around some trees and once to make throwing the grenade super easy on a crazy hole layout that had me going down a 150 foot sheer drop off down hill over some trees.

It's uses are really limited, but the Tilt does come in handy situationally.

Not sure I agree with this completely. I found myself throwing it 4 times last weekend. 3 times to get out of jail and do a 90 degree bend around some trees and once to make throwing the grenade super easy on a crazy hole layout that had me going down a 150 foot sheer drop off down hill over some trees.

It's uses are really limited, but the Tilt does come in handy situationally.

So does a Groove....or Aerobie Epic. :|

So this is an honest question, and I know the general consensus around here is that anything dg related with the intent of making money is evil. Dg is this niche sport where any profit is obligated to get rolled right back into growing the sport so we can finally make it big time at some undefined point in the future.

My local shop is a PIAS, so dg is only a small portion of their overall income for the month. And from my understanding dg isn't quite as profitable as their other new sports gear. They've got a pretty solid selection typically, which is erratic for everybody right now but previously they always had a solid selection across brands.

The point is, they have other sports to help cover sales targets and keep them profitable. In the case of this local shop in NM, the owner knows what their fixed costs are just to have the shop open for business. If they can't receive enough inventory to cover those costs do they do what they currently are and close indefinitely until things change, or do they increase prices by a couple bucks in order to help offset the lack of volume?

I know the secondary market is a hot topic right now with flippers and whatnot, but this is an instance of somebody keeping their business open. If that $18 star destroyer becomes $20 and that helps the owner stay afloat is it a bad thing? Or worse than them closing the shop? Shops that sell other products are insulated from this, they have other means of revenue.

Most I ever paid for a disc was $18 and that was with funny money. I don't think tie dyes and signature disc make my game any better and i could care less about trying to impress with cool discs. KISS

In the case of this local shop in NM, the owner knows what their fixed costs are just to have the shop open for business. If they can't receive enough inventory to cover those costs do they do what they currently are and close indefinitely until things change, or do they increase prices by a couple bucks in order to help offset the lack of volume?

I don't own a disc golf store and would love to hear from someone who does. But I wonder if the issue is:

Contracts with the manufacturers: ie. you can only charge x amount over what we sell them to you for.

or

Competition: if the store raises their prices, what will keep people from going to a 'big box' store (Dick's Sporting Goods, Walmart, etc) or online for their discs?

I prefer to support my local disc golf store, but they are 30 minutes away (yeah, I know that isn't far...but) and they don't always have what I'm looking for...so if I drive there looking for a specific disc and they don't have it...I've wasted the hour drive. So sometimes I will go online to order a disc that I've thrown before (ie. I need a new Teebird, I might buy it online)....and go to the store if I'm looking for something new (ie. I've never thrown a Warship, but someone suggested I try it). If the store raised their prices, I would probably tend to do more buying online elsewhere.

((Side note: my "local" disc golf store started putting 'What's in stock' on their website so you can quickly see if something is available or not - so I now check that before making the drive)).

From what I've seen, I don't think it is the slim profit margins. It is the lack of product. If you are getting a shipment every couple of weeks and you sell that shipment out in a couple of hours, it doesn't really make business sense to turn on the lights and pay someone to sit in front of empty shelves and tell everyone that walks in that you have no idea when/what the next shipment will be.

I don't own a disc golf store and would love to hear from someone who does. But I wonder if the issue is:

Contracts with the manufacturers: ie. you can only charge x amount over what we sell them to you for.

or

Competition: if the store raises their prices, what will keep people from going to a 'big box' store (Dick's Sporting Goods, Walmart, etc) or online for their discs?

I've been running my store for close to 10 years now. There is no contract about how high you can sell a disc for. Only how low you can sell it for. Discmania last year did give dealers a nudge in that direction, though, since the facebook hobbyists mostly sold their allotment of Cloudbreakers at 3-5X msrp.

I have seen quite a few people post that dealers are under contract to not sell higher than X amount. Definitely not true. If I wanted to take all of my XYZ super hot new discs and sell them for $100 a piece, I could. It definitely wouldn't be a good business practice though, although the facebook wannabe dealers sure can convince buyers somehow that that's what they should pay.

Pricing discs is a tough line to walk. In the past 2 years, EVERY manufacturer has raised wholesale prices. Wholesale pricing has been about the same for at least a decade. Not sure why prices never inflated. Maybe the plastic supply/costs never fluctuated much, and now it is. My prices have gone up $2-3 per disc in the past 18 months, just to keep the same profit margin that I've always had.

I'm usually pretty open about my business so if you have any related questions, feel free to ask. I try to get on here a few times a week to lurk around.

From what I've seen, I don't think it is the slim profit margins. It is the lack of product. If you are getting a shipment every couple of weeks and you sell that shipment out in a couple of hours, it doesn't really make business sense to turn on the lights and pay someone to sit in front of empty shelves and tell everyone that walks in that you have no idea when/what the next shipment will be.

Lack of product has definitely had a negative effect on my sales. The Trilogy brands have given dealers next to nothing for the past 12+ months. Innova and Discraft heavily limit how much we can order. I need 5X more from them than what they allow. It's nuts.

Last edited:

Latest posts