• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc recommendations for my newbie girlfriend

TheC-Hill

Bogey Member
So I have been playing disc golf for several years now and have a new girlfriend that wants to start throwing with me. I took her out to the local course a couple days ago to see how she would do. She has never thrown a frisbee before let alone a sporting disc so it wasn't a surpise when she wasn't able to throw very well/far. She was actually a pretty decent putter from about 10 feet though :clap:

Anyways, I am looking for disc recommendations for her. Should I start her with a putter so she can focus on her form? Or should I get a light/understable disc for her?

Also, any other tips from people who have experience helping a new player learn the sport would be greatly appreciated.

Putter is always nice to have but some mids could be used the same or vise versa with putters being mids.

Don't force her to learn anything and just let her try out different stuff. Form is whatever until you can understand more about the actual flight of a disc.

Anything understable and slower will work fine. It might be a good idea to get a light putter and play some catch. Lots of very lid-like ones too which will fly easily. Comets are popular, I like the MVP tangent, Salient antidote, innova stingray, legacy gauge, many different putters... anode, spike, summit, wedge, magnet and so on.

I would say something understable in the midrange category would be your best bet. Aim listed quite a few excellent choices. Pair that with a putter, and she should be set. When she's throwing competently, move onto a driver like a Leopard, Cheetah, Patriot, Diamond, or Underworld.

Hi there from your hometown!

In your shoes, I'd get her a Ruby or a Pearl (then maybe a lighter Fuse) from Lat64, and not look at anything above a mid yet. Focus on level throws and encourage her for every shot she keeps in the fairway. Wait to be asked, don't be pushy with tips and advice. If she wants to be competitive with you, tell her you've been looking for an opportunity to try shots with your off hand, and the two of you can essentially learn anew together. You're not being condescending with that, because you never know when it might come in handy for you in a rough spot, anyway.

Good luck! Sounds like a 'keeper'! :hfive:

DX Shark or something like that can be good too. It's nearly as overstable as a Roc at low speeds...so it won't go straight the whole time but the dependable straight then fade is very consistent. You know it'll do the same thing every time, so that means that the shot can be planned out. Otherwise a putter like beaded Aviar/Wizard that does the same thing but slower would have the same outcome.

I second the ultra light leopard. First disc my wife was able to get a good flex/s shot out of. I think my wife's Leo is around 138g. My wife gets a consistent 200-250 out of her 150 maximizer and now prefers it over the Leo . It took the wife about a year to be able to see par on baskets around 300 ft. We used to handicap her 1 shot per hole to keep it fun for her, then only on baskets over 250 and now only on stuff over 300. She only takes her free stroke if over par on the hole or ob. She also throws 150 class buzz, spider, stingray and wedge. She now understands when I tell her to put a little anny on a shot to get a little turn out of it, can turn her stingray easily, and gets competitive with a little trash talk. We will even have a few beers a practice some putting in the back yard together. Most women/girlfriends/wife's will never get as obsessed with the game as we might, but the wife and I enjoy a round or two a week.

Another good thing to keep in mind is course selection. Heavily wooded , difficult terrain and 400 ft baskets is great way to make the game not fun for beginners. Groomed park style, good.... Natural un groomed = bad. The wife was also uncomfortable playing with large groups, strangers that might join the group, or players way above her skill. Makes her feel like she is holding the group back and subtracts from the relaxation/fun factor.
We have a great beginner course with minimal obstacles , no water and distances under 300 that is a great place for the wife and kids. I get to work on my short game and the beginners can find par and a few birds to keep them in the game. We also have fun exploring new courses and trying new restaurants . If we are going out of our area for shopping, birthdays, BBQ or what ever , we explore new courses with out making a special trip just for disc golf .

I started my gf off with a dart, a stingray, and a leopard.

sub 150s dx leopard, cheap, easy to throw and will help teach proper form.
pair that with a lightweight mid of your choosing like a 150 dx roc and a putter in her favorite color.

DX Cheetah
ABC secret weapon

or get her some jewels. All girls love Diamonds or Jade

Thanks for all the input everyone. Im leaning towards a light leopard and a midrange as alot of you have suggested this. Again thanks for all the responses!

Lat 64 Diamond and any putter she's comfortable with or a light D-Buzzz.

Has she ever had a background in Softball? If so get her an Epic and tell to chuck it like a baseball, she might just start crushing them.

I've had success giving girls a 165g Anode and a 150g Stingray for DG dates. If they get into it go from there, if they're just out to be out it will do the job.

This one always comes up and it seems like nobody ever learns. I guess it's infrequent enough to where it's hard to search for the answers.

Just bring two nearly identical discs to the outing and hand her one or let her pick one. then just go have fun. don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. just laugh.

My wife has been playing for a couple of months now, seems to be having the best results with a Wolf and a light Shark.

I've had success giving girls a 165g Anode and a 150g Stingray for DG dates. If they get into it go from there, if they're just out to be out it will do the job.

Stingray fo sho. Any newer players I've played with have done pretty well with a stingray.

They say Diamonds are a girls best friend. And my wife would agree. She loves her Diamond. And she also throws a 150g Champion Leopard. Either of those along with a putter should work.

Latest posts