• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driver Recommendation

kitjv

At the behest of my daughter, I started disc golf about 2 months ago. To date, I am simply practicing my driving technique. The more that I learn, the more I am appreciating all the nuances that have to be mastered to achieve accurate & consistent throws.

With that in mind, I have been practicing with putters only. If I am correct, putters tend to be the most stable of the discs. Therefore, I am assuming that bad throws are likely the lack of good technique on my part. As I have becomes more accurate & consistent with driving the putters, I plan to start using driver discs.

This is where I have a question for those of you that have improved your game beyond that of a beginner. Could you recommend a driver that is considered to be stable? At this point in my game, I am only concerned with throwing straight, accurate & consistent.

Thank you for taking me under your wing.

What putter are you throwing?

If it has to be a driver I'd recommend a DX Teebird. It will fly straight with a reliable fade at the end, especially if thrown under 300 feet. As it breaks in the fade will diminish and eventually the disc will turn right to left, assuming a right hand back hand throw.

Other options would be to look at a midrange, like a Discraft Comet or Lat. 64 Fuse. These 2 are great for keeping your form clean, have good glide, and will get you more distance vs a putter.

I have several Dynamic Discs' Judge. Thank you for the recommendations.

x2 on tee bird, but don't sleep on mids. Buzzz or Envy or Mako 3 are possibles.

Let's take a step back. I get the impression that the word stable is creating some confusion.

A disc throw right hand, backhanded will have a tendency to break left toward the end of the throw. There are disc that are designed to facilitate this left break. We generally consider these to be more stable. Some are designed to resist this left break and carry forward, in a more straight flight line. We generally call these less or understable. Putters are usually the least stable of discs.

I generally encourage beginners to work their way up to drivers. Starting with less stable or neutral midranges can keep you on track with clean form. Discraft Comet is a common suggestion. It is really neither overstable, nor understable. I often hand disc like a Lat 64 Diamond to new players. Again, a fairly neutral disc.

Welcome and good luck with your venture. If you are lucky, like many of us, it will become a lifelong passion.

"Stable" might have been a poor word choice. I just need to concentrate on straight consistent throws. At this stage I have neither the skills nor experience to take advantage of the nuances of many of the available discs.

Thank you for your explanation & recommendations.

"Stable" might have been a poor word choice. I just need to concentrate on straight consistent throws. At this stage I have neither the skills nor experience to take advantage of the nuances of many of the available discs.

Thank you for your explanation & recommendations.

Something to consider is that a truly neutral disc (doesn't exist) is more easily influenced by changes in release angle. A REALLY overstable disc (meathook) is ALWAYS going to fight back so if you throw it with that in mind you are more statistically likely to land in good position. So if you are RHBH, and you aim 30 ft to the right of the target, and you are seven degrees off your line, you still end up OK.

So what I'm getting at is that a neutral disc can be less forgiving than a more predictably biased disc, which will compensate for a less accurate aim IF you aim with that awareness.

Thank you for the info. You recommended the Discraft Comet as a midrange choice. I noticed that there are several models of Comets. Any recommendation here?

Some people love the Comet but I tried one and it was just gross. Super domey, had a weird shape to wing, and just generally felt awkward in my hand. But, maybe you won't find it disagreeable because lots of people like it.

Anyways, if you're really wanting to work on your form and practice throwing straight shots there may not be a better disc than a Mako3. If you can execute a flat, straight shot the Mako3 will go straight. If you're off on what you're doing you'll know because it will turn right or hyzer out left.

Nothing gross about a Comet and it will definitely give you good feedback on your form. Hit it right and it should go straight with a mild fade. As your form and power improve you can work on different release angles to shape different shots.

Discmania FD, Innova Hawkeye, Leopard/3, TL, Axiom Crave are all pretty neutral fairway drivers that are newbie friendly. A cheaper option might be to get a few each of DX Teebirds and Eagles. They start out less overstable than their premium plastic versions and beat straighter pretty quick.

You guys have certainly given me some options. As with other activities, it can be difficult to separate out our personal preferences & past experiences -- which, BTW, can be valuable for a newbie like me. Of course, the bottom line will be which discs feel right & work for me. However, until I gain more experience & hone my technique, I suspect that any of your recommendation will work for me. Maybe purchasing a half dozen different mids/drivers will allow me to sample some of the options. Again...thank you.

You guys have certainly given me some options. As with other activities, it can be difficult to separate out our personal preferences & past experiences -- which, BTW, can be valuable for a newbie like me. Of course, the bottom line will be which discs feel right & work for me. However, until I gain more experience & hone my technique, I suspect that any of your recommendation will work for me. Maybe purchasing a half dozen different mids/drivers will allow me to sample some of the options. Again...thank you.

Innova factory store can be an inexpensive way to sample discs. Usually a free disc if you order three on Friday.

Many of these mids have similar flights, but the rims are different and they feel different in the hand, so yes, some experimentation will get you there. I think most people go back and rethink, too, so maybe one doesn't feel right today, but next summer it works better.

When you get into fairway drivers, some are neutral by virtue of the fact that the turn figure counters the fade figure—so if it moves to the right (RHBH) then fades back to the left, it ends on a neutral line. This type of disc, with a little negative turn, is effectively neutral but works great for getting around trees.

You might actually get good results picking up a Star Cheetah.

Thank you. Jupiterboy ---especially for the tip on the Innova factory store. Until I get more experience under my belt, I prefer not to spend s fortune on discs.

Thank you. Jupiterboy ---especially for the tip on the Innova factory store. Until I get more experience under my belt, I prefer not to spend s fortune on discs.

They have factory seconds marked F2, and the DX often goes for around $6 a disc. Three of those plus a free disc works pretty well.

I've ended up getting a bunch of Star plastic F2s because I hit a bunch of trees and the DX changes its flight too quickly for my taste. So if you can get along with Star plastic, you'll find those discs really beat in slowly and last a long time.

They have factory seconds marked F2, and the DX often goes for around $6 a disc. Three of those plus a free disc works pretty well.

I've ended up getting a bunch of Star plastic F2s because I hit a bunch of trees and the DX changes its flight too quickly for my taste. So if you can get along with Star plastic, you'll find those discs really beat in slowly and last a long time.

Excellent info. I will check it out. Thanks.

On question I failed to ask: What disc weight for drivers & mids would you recommend for beginners? Also, I am curious about the rational behind your recommendations? Thank you.

On question I failed to ask: What disc weight for drivers & mids would you recommend for beginners? Also, I am curious about the rational behind your recommendations? Thank you.

So a hypothetical—you have a 168 g Roc3 and a 175 g Roc3. You have enough form and power to throw either on a hyzer an they flip up to flat, move forward, then fade. Maybe the lighter disc stays flat a little longer, so you get a little more distance. Now the wind picks up and it's coming directly at you. This makes both disks more understable so they are more likely to go from a hyzer to flat and keep turning over to anhyzer and then land on their side. Your heavier disc is going to be the better choice because it will resist turning. What if that wind is coming from behind you? That will make both discs fly like they are thrown at a slower speed than they actually are. Here, the lighter disc is the choice.

You would find a similar comparison between a Buzzz and a Roc3 at the same weight. So Roc3 into the wind, Buzz with it at your back—because the Roc3 is more overstable.

I'm not recommending this guy's form or Youtube channel, but he seems like an average player out with a Mako 3 and a Buzzz showing you lots of shots.

I've bot a couple Buzzzs and Mako 3s. The Buzzz rim is a little shallow for me, but I love the disc and the flight and have one in my bag right now. The Mako 3 has more of a putter rim. I like the way the disc flies, but it has come in and out of my bag because I'm not in love with the feel. Same with Envy. So, right now I have a Rancho Roc (neutral to overstable) a RocX3 (very overstable but with a nice long flat flight), and a Buzzz. If I want a long highish turnover shot I go for the Buzzz because it is least likely to fight out.

You've probably got a dozen or so options. Teebird, Eagle, Hawkeye, TL, Maverick, FD, River, Explorer, Crave or maybe a lightweight Servo.

Just try to find something around 165-169 grams and don't be afraid to get the base plastic

Thank you for taking the time to clarify. Different weight choices certainly makes sense under different "ambient" conditions. Sounds like I really can't go wrong with either the Mako3 or the Buzz.

Thank you for taking the time to clarify. Different weight choices certainly makes sense under different "ambient" conditions. Sounds like I really can't go wrong with either the Mako3 or the Buzz.

Agree. Note that some putters and discs have a bead or little ridge on the bottom. This design tends to make the disc stop when it hits the ground. Neither of these discs have a bead, but you see it in midranges and putters.

When you add in a true fairway driver or driver, you'll see that the edge is more of a true wedge. This adds "ground action" to the disc, so if you throw it straight and hard it may move a considerable distance skipping along the ground, sometimes at a pretty hard angle to the direction of the throw. It's good to have that option, so you'll want a disc that will do that at some point. That said, if you get a disc that is too fast for your arm, it won't fly right and won't get much more distance than a putter.

A Mako3 or a Buzzz will be are very usable next step, and pave the way for adding a fairway driver.

Latest posts