• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Sales @ Retail Question (All input appreciated)

Latitude offers a small bag called the "Slim Jim"...I actually have one that I use when I don't want to carry the bulky Pro Bag. Mine holds about 10 discs and is priced around $20. If you are going with Lat64 for discs, this would give you a good option for small bags. Also, get at least 1 Lat64 Pro Bag and fill it up with discs and sit it in the store. When people see how big that bag is, their mouths will drop.

http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/product/ST-21525/Latitude-64-Slim-Jim-Bag/

Innova doesn't sell Millenium and Discraft doesn't sell DGA.

I think you need to define your goals and your customers.
Are you selling to new or seasoned players and what are their needs?
4 Brands is just a number. I think it's more about filling out the selection of what you want to offer rather than risking customers feeling like you've got a lot of holes in your offering.

Lightening has amazing wholesale prices. They're not super popular but you could sell their base plastic for the same as DX/ProD and make more money.

I started a shop at a private course (rather than retail location) in the fall and I made some decisions like not carrying Pro/X plastic, minimizing DX/ProD, and leaving out dyed and glow plastics as well as 150 and ultra light classes. I think that part has worked out well. Heed the Innova advice though. I'm sad to see how little call I had for anything outside of Innova. I swear I hear more requests for Vibram and MVP (which I did add at the start) than Discraft.

The nice thing about Vibram, MVP, Millennium, etc is that because they have so few models it's much simpler to carry their full lines. You can order 25-50 discs and have a decent selection of any of these companies. MVP's minimum order is 32. Get 16 Ions and 16 Vectors, 8 of each plastic.

The thing I should have done better was order a wider range of weights. I'm so used to seeing players throw max weight that I didn't consider most disc sales are to newer players and they want lighter discs.

And save on shipping by purchasing bags from one of your existing suppliers.
Bags have a nice 100% markup though.

Last edited:
Profit margin or not, I dont see Lightning selling outside of a very small market and new players who dont know anything, but even then, they are going to go with the cooler looking Innova stamps.

Maybe carry their them for making super cheap starter sets to get customers hooked in the game rather than look to mark them up for profit. Profit would come later when those people remember the deal and come in looking for the more "advanced" discs.

Innova / Discmania
Latitude
Discraft

You already have gateway so that is good enough for number four. Like Three Putt said you need to have Innova or at least one of the big dogs.

Fade makes a "lite" bag that is very nice for the 15 bucks they charge. I would do a bunch of those, a few crunches and a couple tourney bags to start.

For bags right now I was thinking Fade or other good entry level bags that hold 6-12 discs. If someone wants a larger bag they would probably search and order for best price on-line. Plus I don't see a huge market here in Brainerd, MN for bags larger than a 12 disc carrier.

I will look into Innona having Discmania and Mellenium available and the same with Discraft and DGA.

Side note, are Chainstar and Mach V the same basket?

I'm hopeing to get support for carrying 125+ here discs and maybe a few untimates and a few bags and towels.

Being a primary bike shop we have the timbuk2 for their cycle disc bag and we got watterbottles up the wazzoo.
My bad, so discs are a secondary product. Having gone to stores like this (skate shops, surf shops etc...). I could care less about bags. What I was looking for was a replacement for a lost disc. So what I found to be an issue, was sellection and lack of premium plastic. I found that they always had a larger sellection of mids and not enough drivers (maybe they sold more do to other lost drivers?). A basket would be a good idea as well as some used putters to bring in the noobs or create a "buzz". Heck you should throw a clinic the same day you start selling your discs too. Have you thought about making your own "starter packs" at a reduced price?
Oh well, just some random thoughts...hope it goes well for you!

Ideas being passed around the shop.

Buy a bag, get 10% off any disc you buy.

Buy any 3 discs and get 5-10% off your purchase.

Starter packages will vary to each player so we plan on giving them suggestions for their intended style of thowing and power. If they get three then they get the 5-10% off their purchase.

If they buy a bag and 4 discs they would reviece, 20% off on all the discs.

I'm hosting a league this summer for all levels so I think I will be able to reach and spread the market there. Plus help give knoledge to the noobs.

I would def look into getting some DGA gear into the store... DGA was in fact the first in the sport! And although their disc line is limited, it is because they do not need to make a bunch of variations per each disc model. They also lead the market in apparel and portable baskets!

1. innova
2. discraft
3. gateway
4. lat 64

but you'll get ALOT more sales if you can get your hands on tasty innova CFR plastic. some people (including me) will pay top dollar for rare CFR discs. As far as gear goes...FADE bags and everything else DGA.

Is there a private course near you that would be down with your giving free day passes when a customer spends $__ with you?

I'd go with the big 3 everyone else has mentioned, Innova, Lat64, and Discraft. For a fourth, anything else would work, MVP and Vibram are a good mixup and make awesome discs. I'd rather see 3 companies with a wide selection from their lineups and a good selection of weights and plastics than more brands. As for bags, FADE is the way to go, can't beat the quality for the price, especially for beginners.

Latest posts