• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Disc selection question - Plastic

TimZ

I have a question about selection.

Currently I am mostly throwing DX plastic. I like it a lot because of the grip and I can get the disc to turn over. It's great because I can beat it in in about 3-5 rounds and the disc is controllable. Off the tee for me right now, if it's over 300 ft, I am throwing a DX Beast. A great drive for me with it is 350. If it's 250-300 I take a DX Teebird.

But I am tired of their short life span. 3-5 rounds after they are nice, it becomes flippy then very flippy.

If I buy a Champion version of the same mold it is way too overstable for me and glides out too much. I have found the same with Star, it is so hard to control, and takes forever to beat in.

Can anyone recommend something for a DX junkie at my arm speed, looking for something useable but more durable? Would it help to pick a lower speed disc since it's premium plastic now?

Try pro plastic or gStar. I love my Pro Leopard.

Definitely gstar. It seasons faster than star or champ But it still may take you a little while. You could also drop weight and get a light one.

I agree with the G* and Pro recommendation.

Also, if you're throwing max weight DX, you could try a Star at 165gr. I've noticed a significant difference between the beat in time for a max weight Star over a 165gr Star in a few molds I've thrown..

Thanks all.

Grotto, I throw 172 on DX. What do you think for star? Appreciate that tip, will try that.

If you don't like the premium plastic version then all I know to do is go with a more understable disc in premium plastic to simulate the beat-in DX.

Try one mold in G* the same weight as your DX and a Star around 162-165. They'll both last a lot longer than DX and when the Star gets to that sweet spot, you'll love it.

Only one way to find out, and that's to experiment. I've pretty much gave up on Champion plastic, takes forever to break in, and I can't get a consistent grip with it.

Luckily I grip champion type (Elite Z) discs super well so I use them almost exclusively for their optimal durability and their flexibility suits my taste. They start off most overstable of the plastic types (surface is more shiny) and take forever to beat up though if that is something you desire, and they can feel horrible in cold or rain. Perfect for me on a dry summer's day though! They like to skip more too but I let that work to my advantage the vast majority of the time. I use regular stiffness base plastic (Pro D) for putting and for a lot of my putter upshots because it beats to understable much more rapidly and it catches the chains much better. Sometimes I use star type plastic for any disc aside from my putter because it is still much more durable than baseline plastic but beats up more quickly than champ and it often molds up a little differently than champ which is great. I just throw max weight Z discs and throw a different mold if I need a less overstable flight.

Weight makes a very large difference IMO. I got really bad arm speed, I throw about 300 ft max distance with my FD. A friend of mine has a 172g road runner, when I throw it it feels really overstable, I get no turn out of it. I bought my own road runner a few weeks back, it's 162g and it's an absolute joy to throw. Even tho I haven't broken it in yet it still flies understable, I can hyzer flip it to straight or throw it flat and it will turn over no problem. If you throw 172g then I would recommend getting 165ish weights.

But I am tired of their short life span. 3-5 rounds after they are nice, it becomes flippy then very flippy.

That's way too short of a life span for DX. I have an all DX bag that I break out for nostalgia's sake a couple of times a month and most of those discs in there have 200-300 rounds on them. Granted, I don't start with anything understable over speed 4 which helps with lifespan to some extent.

Learn the hyzer flip, powering down, or a combination of the two with those discs once they start getting flippy and you will not only get more distance in some instances, but open up new lines of approach.

I have about the same power as you, TimZ, and I find my DX discs lasting much longer than 3-5 rounds. But, there was a time I thought I was breaking them in fast, too. Then I realized that there was a problem with my form that was being masked by overstable and fast discs. Learning to throw an understable disc straight, while frustrating at first, has helped me to grow in consistency. While I did lose some distance, it is starting to come back as I patiently work on a driving that works for me.

Nevertheless, to answer the question, G* will work.

Dx vipers dont break in as fast as most other dx discs because they start so overstable

Yup.
Drop 8-10 g for Star or Champ for now. Or Keep the same weight and pick discs a tick less OS.
Or buy a well beat, used Star or Champ version of something you like from the marketplace.

I think the OP must have form issues. I have DX plastic in my bag that is easily 15 years old. Now that I think about it if you need to get rid of your "worn out" DX you can send it to me...:)

Pro if they make the mold in that plastic. G-Star might be considered because I have a few G-Star discs and they seem to be fine with their stability, not too stable from my Wraith and TeeBird3 throws.

I find pro just as quickly beat in as DX and flippy. If you want the dics to stay true longer you should use Champion, Star or Gstar. If you find some champion too o/s, just disc down. Have you tried a Star Valkyrie or Tern? Are you set on Innova? If not try a Z plastic Avenger SS. ABC's Gold plastic is also nice, try the Secret Weapon.