• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc speeds over 12. Is it necessary?

When I first started playing I bought the dx starter set from innova and thought I needed a distance driver to outthrow my Leopard. When I got my friend to play a round he went and bought three discs; a distance driverates a midrange and a putter. The driver he bought was a dx boss, which is a 13 speed. He would throw it and it would turn right into the ground. For a newet, weaker armed player, a high speed disc is not the way to go. If you can bomb a disc 350 400 feet be my guest and buy one. But if you have a noodle arm, stick to the fairway/control driver.

People that can't understand what they can throw amaze me. I like speed too but if I flip a Hayabusa backwards I'm not going anywhere. It's called being practical.

I only throw speed 14s then hope cardmates don't notice when I knock a stroke off every hole after only throwing 300' meathooks. ;)

I am at the point where I am getting the most distance I ever have. I am hitting 350-360ft fairly consitently, with a 380ft+ every once in awhile. I, Personally, only started achieving this very recently when I ditched the 13-14 speed drivers and made 11-12 speed drivers my fastest. I feel like I have so much more control, a better grip, and can actually shape lines with the reduction in speed. An added benefit has been the extra distance, too.

I know the Super fast discs are not needed for me, but I am sure they are for someone.

I completely agree, I stopped throwing worlds and have been working with the Sword and Trespass and I'm getting more distance than I did with the world.

High speed plastic only works if you are generating the arm speed to get it moving fast enough. Otherwise, you have a ground-seeking utility disc. Not rocket science. Just simple external ballistics physics.

I throw an Icon edition Cannon. It is technically a speed 14 disc, but in reality, since it is understable it throws like a speed 11 or 12 for me. I get pretty good distance from it and am able to get it to hyzerflip without any problem.

geeze after reading all of this i see that i am not alone.
now i just need to ditch some of the plastics acquired.

If you've really been playing half a year, unless you have a canon, which you might already, your 3 listed drivers can be dropped. 13, 13, 14 speed discs probably aren't doing you any good. That underworld was my #1 driver for a while until my arm speed picked up, now my 13 year old hits 250-300 feet with it consistently and loves it.

alot of my friends throw the missilen for thomhawks and raketon for thumber they throw them about 350 on these throws

Latest posts