• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Disc Speeds

Googledo

How much of a difference does finding a disc that fits your power help? What I mean by that is I throw an XL which is a speed 8 or 9 I believe, and I throw around 300' avg. and on my best throws I may get to 350'. Now when I throw my TeeRex or Wraith I can get around 375' average and 400' max. Both of those discs are speed 11.

What I want to know is if I should just find a disc that is comfortable for me and not worry about disc speeds? Or is there a certain point where throwing speed 12 or 13 would be best? I know pros can throw speed 11's close to 500' or even further.

If you have any suggestions about the breaking point where I should move up and some discs I should try that would be great.

I think, the point at which you stop gaining distance, with a stable disc, not a super understable disc.
(and I am not talking about 10' more)
is where you should stop going up in speed, you are just losing accuracy
some 11 speeds are legit for 400'

I appreciate this question. After months of throwing mids and fairways, I recently threw some faster stuff, Unlace for example, and the extra distance is there for the taking.

Using slower discs and less stable discs are good for working on the form. Finding that sweet spot of speed and stability, and weight too, is all part of the complex of variables to deal with. I don't think it excludes any speed disc.

For me, a rubber arm, I've found I can throw faster discs if they are light and understable.

The truth is, there's no single simple answer. It can vary a bit depending on the mold, stability, and even the plastic of the discs you throw. Generally speaking, faster discs are more nose sensitive and can fade pretty hard if you don't get them up to speed, and are less forgiving of form flaws than slower molds. But if your form is pretty good for the most part, throw what works for you.

Strictly speaking, I have no business throwing stuff above a speed 9 or so, but I can get certain speed 11 and 13 discs about 30-50 farther than any speed 8 or 9, so I use them for that, even though I'm only getting them out to about 300 ft. I've tried getting Valks and Sidewinders out over 270...can't do it with any consistency, and I have to put a lot of "oomph" into them to come close... translates into poor control.

For me, faster discs like my Renegade, R-Pro and Pro Bosses give me that extra D with less effort (hence greater control), and greater max D on open holes. I don't care if others throw Buzzzes out to 300, and Tee Birds to 350. I can get 230 pretty controllable feet out of a Buzzz, and up to about 250 or so out of a Tee Bird. To generate the initial velocity to get those molds out there farther than that, my control suffers.

That said, it took me a while to find faster discs that worked well for me. The Nuke SS and Vulcan, or Katana didn't improve my game at all.

Last edited:
My theory (if you want to restrict when you move up in speeds at all) is to never put a disc in your bag for extra distance. Put them in for a different flight. I'll throw a Nuke 150' some times because I need a speed 13 line. Not speed 13 distance. I added a Nuke when my Rogues weren't fading back as soon as I wanted them to.

My theory (if you want to restrict when you move up in speeds at all) is to never put a disc in your bag for extra distance. Put them in for a different flight. I'll throw a Nuke 150' some times because I need a speed 13 line. Not speed 13 distance. I added a Nuke when my Rogues weren't fading back as soon as I wanted them to.

^ I used to do this too, but got better (i.e. more consistent) results identifying distances I could consistently hit with mids, fairways and distance drivers, and now carry a few stabilities of each type to cover various lines, shots and situations.

But again, do what works for you.

When I played the GBO/AM Worlds, there were certain discs (Star Tern, most notably) that I had just for throwing really far.

There were some holes that were 600+ feet, almost completely wide open. In that case, I needed a disc I could throw on absolute Max-D.

It's sort of a trial and error process. Like, for me, I've been throwing Destroyers for a long time. But lately I had been noticing that it was taking a lot more effort on my part to get them the distance and flight path I know Destros are capable of. I could still do it, but I found myself fatigued after a good round. I picked up some OLFs, which have a somewhat similar flight path, but are much lower in speed. I found I was only sacrificing about 10 feet of distance, on the same lines, but with more ease. This tells me that I had been "muscling" my Destroyers instead of having the right form.

However, I can bomb my Terns (which are Destroyer speed) farther than any disc I've ever thrown. Partly the glide, partly the understable nature of the Tern, partly because I have weird form. Luckily discs, particularly used ones, are cheap so you can try different stuff.

I say if you're getting an extra 75 legit feet with your more high-speed stuff, than stick with it. The more you practice, the better (and farther) you'll be able to throw.

Between the Flick, Drone and Zone what would you need to hit at 150ft with a Nuke?

Try out a Champ Tern or Vibram Lace. Both will probably give you another 25 feet, maybe more.

Between the Flick, Drone and Zone what would you need to hit at 150ft with a Nuke?

Zone, but I throw Breaker/Drone so I'd have to say Breaker...Drone pending circumstances.

Certainly not a driver.

EDIT: birdiemachine is a troll Murena, don't mind him.

Last edited:
^ I used to do this too, but got better (i.e. more consistent) results identifying distances I could consistently hit with mids, fairways and distance drivers, and now carry a few stabilities of each type to cover various lines, shots and situations.

But again, do what works for you.

On a flex, a Roc won't fade back 100' from where it lands. At 400', I don't feel like a Roc fades at all. It probably does, but it's such a small portion of the flight that if I need a long fade, I need to throw something faster.

A flat, low shot that fades back for a while, while still getting some forward penetration.

I routinely threw bosses and apes until last week when I lost my favorite Boss XG :(. I was so mad.

But it gave me an opportunity to try out some of the other discs in my bag I have been neglecting. I throw a FH, and I'm far from a great player at this point, but I definitely noticed I was crushing my Boatman. I went down in speed, but I think that disc flies more predictably for me, and I am routinely crushing longer distances.

Still want my boss xg back though...

Latest posts