• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Disc that compliments the buzzz?

I am a little afraid that a Drone might be so overstable that it will be a specialty disc and that I might have more use out of a Wasp even if there is a tiny bit of overlap.

I carry 3 different mids in my bag: Buzzz, Wasp, and Drone. The Wasp is my work horse (disc is amazingly predictable), the Buzzz is great for super straight and anhyzer shots, the Drone...it really is just a specialty disc for me. I use it for super hyzers or fighting huge winds, it just turns too much and flies too slow for any standard mid shot that I may have.

If the Drone comes out of the bag, it'll come out maybe once per round. Don't get me wrong though, it is a good disc, it has its job and it does it well. I some times find myself looking for excuses to use the disc just so I can tell myself I didn't waste my money buying two Z worlds Drones....

I definitely don't consider the drone a specialty disc. I probably throw it on more than half of my drives between 225-350. I like it both FH and BH. It did take me a while to warm up to this disc after buying it, but figured out that I really need to throw it harder than most mids because it doesn't have much glide.

I am sure the Drone is a great disc but the thought is that the Wasp could be used in more situations including touch shots. I love my Zone and will probably still use it for the touch shots. I think the Drone is similar to the Zone so I am sure I will like it but well, I guess I will find out tomorrow.

I'll go ahead and concede the point that a wasp might be able to be used in more situations, but how many of those could a buzzz also be used for just as well? The buzzz is just a modified wasp with the bead cut off to make it less overstable (according to discraft), the drone is a completely different disc. If I could only carry one mid it would probably be a wasp because it splits the difference, but if you already have half of it's range covered doesn't it make sense to get something on the opposite end as the next disc instead of overlapping?

For the Roc lovers in the house, I'll go ahead and say that the wasp was developed specifically to fly like the roc. The buzzz has been born from another iteration of this process. So, even as a discraft loyalist, the roc is pretty much the buzzz's granddaddy.

I'll go ahead and concede the point that a wasp might be able to be used in more situations, but how many of those could a buzzz also be used for just as well? The buzzz is just a modified wasp with the bead cut off to make it less overstable (according to discraft), the drone is a completely different disc. If I could only carry one mid it would probably be a wasp because it splits the difference, but if you already have half of it's range covered doesn't it make sense to get something on the opposite end as the next disc instead of overlapping?
I'd argue it would make more sense to just throw Wasps or Rocs in different stages of wear, but that's not really the question.

I don't believe the overlap issue is a big deal here because a disc with the stability of a new Wasp is much more useful than anything you'll get out of a Drone. A straight flight with a fade, a shallow to mid hyzer that holds it's line the whole time or a 'S' shot that holds it's turn for a while are all more useful shots than the limited hyzers or 'S' shots you can get ouf of a Drone.

If you look at the strategy of using a Z Buzzz/Z Wasp and compare it to the strategy of cycling Rocs you'll have a Z Wasp taking the place of more ovestable than a new Roc and a new Roc with Wasps in a couple stages of wear and the Buzzz taking the place of your beat and really beat Rocs with Buzzzes in a couple stages of wear. It is overlap, but because the Buzzz and Drone can't handle the shots the Wasp can you probably need both.

You guys are making me want to toss my Wasp back in the bag....it's been out for a long time now:) Heck, I might take the Wasp AND MRV just for old times sake...that used to be the 1-2 punch!

I hate to say it but the only REAL way to decide is to try them all. Individual style and preference goes along way.

If I had to put them in some type of order from over- to understable, I would say drone, gator, wasp, roc, buzzz, shark, coyote, metoer, stingray. I'm sure there are a couple others that fit in there, like the kite, skeeter, etc. that fit into the more understable side. Ironic how the list goes back and forth between innova and discraft.

Consider the plastic you want as well. Some models are difficult to find in premium plastic at less-than-max-weight (ex: roc, drone) without buying a special at 20-30 bucks.

FWIW, I have the gator, wasp, shark, coyote, and stingray in my bag right now, all in premium plastic. I like the subtle differences, especially when trying to thread a narrow wooded fairway, or get around a specific obstacle. I can use the same throw and let the disc do the work.

This is what you need for midrange:

Buzzz SS
Buzzz
Wasp
Drone

Tell me how a Roc has a fade rating of 3, and a Gator does too!?
That doesn't seem right. Iv'e never thrown a Roc that was as overstable as a Gator.

overstability and fade are not exactly the same thing... a disc can have fade without being overstable... you are right though, the gator is more overstable than the roc. You need to look at speed and glide to determine stability. The gator is faster and has less glide than the roc which cause it to fade left sooner in its flight. Also, the Roc's fade is probably less than a 3, closer to 2 in some molds and runs.

and about the thread, what compliments the Buzz.... what shots aren't covered by your buzz? I mean between your drivers and putters, you may be able to cover any shot you need.

Last edited:
I preferr less stable, even understable discs like a Buzz and have always felt I could manipulate what they do with a little hyzer or anhyzer angle.

Also. drivers that are too overstable for you can sometimes make good overstable mids since you likely are not going to get them very far.

After peaking at your bag, i feel that your buzz has a lot covered... If you ABSOLUTELY wanted to add discs to your bag, I think the best thing to get would be an overstable midrange. These are my two favorite.

http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_displayProduct.php?p=113
http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_displayProductList.php?sn=drone

If you need to get a little more side to side movement shoot these... For understable shots (opposite your backhand) use your putters or learn to forehand... but again if you absolutely want a new disc... try...

http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_displayProductList.php?sn=Magic (Medium)
http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_displayProduct.php?p=168
http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_displayProduct.php?p=64

Drone or Gator. You need an overstable control disc to balance with the neutral, all-round mid range with good glide like the buzz