• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Thievery, a new kind of low

I trust nothing to no man. Assume the worst and protect your gear. I've had several discs straight stolen from me during a round. It sucks balls. Take what you have learned from this experience and use it to not let it happen again.

A few weeks ago, my group was accused of stealing a guys disc. The hole we were playing was parallel to the hole this other group was playing, and we were in view of each other. My friend picked up his disc on the edge of the woods, next to the other holes fairway. The other group saw my friend pick up his disc, which happened to be the same color as a disc that they threw. So this guy comes up saying we took his disc. We all deny it, and say it was our own disc. The other group looks for the guys disc for a minute, then the guy comes up and demands to look in our bags. We show him our bags, and the fact that the guy kept accusing us made my friend pretty upset (lots of cussing involved). There was five of us, and three of them, so the guy kind of backed off, and then said we were gonna "get our asses whooped", from about 100 ft away. Needless to say, for the rest of the round we were all pretty fired up. Then, on the 18th hole the guy comes up, with his disc. Turns out his disc went under some bushes, and they ended up finding it. He said sorry, and hopefully he felt like a huge douche.
Guy was definitely a douche, but kudos to him for swallowing his pride and coming over later to apologize. Maybe he learned something that day and won't be so quick to accuse others of lifting his disc next time the situation arises.

When I was in TX I was playing Bear Creek or something like that. I acidentaly left my 180 KC Roc with a purple stamp on hole 4 just inside the edge of the woods. I notice on hole 7 that I was missing it. I headed back to 4 where I knew I left it and it was gone. I found a group of three playing on hole 6 so I asked them if they found it. I described it to them just like I did previously to you. They said they didn't find a roc but they found a Valk on hole 5. He shows me the disc and I tell him good find. As he puts it away in his bag I see my Roc. I mentioned that the Roc he had in his bag was almost eactly what I lost. He pulled it out and handed it to me and said, I've had this for a while. I told him he had great hand writing and forsight since my name and phone number was written on the inside rim. He acts supprised and said, oh yeah, that roc we did just find that one, it must be yours.

Odd...?

car, bicycle, disc- if you take it and its not yours its a theft... cuffem and stuffem!
if i find a disc with a phone number i call the # from where i picked it up...
i love baitcar, and on cops when they put a $4000 merc benz bicycle on a corner and when its stolen they charge the thief with a felony... there eyes bug when there told its a $4k bike and there being charged with a felony theft-priceless!

Cops plant a bike and arrest somebody for stealing it. Correction, Cops plant a bike and WANT someone to steal it, then arrest them when they do. Sounds a lot like entrapment to me...

One time i took my shoes of to get in the water to retrieve my disc .. then after i did that i was already wet so i went to another nearby water hole ... then i realized i left my shoes at the other hole and when i got there they were gone .. My poor Osiris' they were nice and minty .. hard to think of that many people that can fill my size 14 shoes ... people are wak ... they prlly just threw them in the water hazard ... **** heads ..

A local kid, maybe 13 or 14, has been seen often walking Plymouth Creek with a back-pack loaded with discs. On days with more traffic he will park himself near Hole 1 and ask if people want to trade or sell. However, he also been seen wading in the water and or hovering near the stream likely in the hopes of finding discs.

First time I encountered him I flipped over a FLX Buzzz near where he and his two cronies were hanging out. I walked up to where I thought it had landed but they told me that it had skipped deep into the water where we could not see it. Being Hole 1 I walked back to my car and got another Buzzz. A guy parked next to me who was waiting in his car told me that when I had turned my back on those kids they had picked up my white disc and had flung it in the water near the opposite shore, making it easier for them to mark it and find it later. I confronted these kids and they naturally denied everything. They were not around when I came back through for a second round.

Six months later during the winter I was playing a solo round until I met up with the only other guy on the course on Hole 8. This is a really long hole that requires multiple shots just to see the basket. Normally I skip this hole in the winter because most of the shots require right turns into a blind bend, but since this other guy said he would spot for me, I went ahead and played through. The problem is is that after I took my second shot, I packed up and rushed to find my third, leaving a pink FLX Surge behind. After completing the hole I realized that I was missing a disc and my spotter said it was likely my first shot and that I had probably left it behind when I used it as a marker. At this point I noticed that kid was back roaming up and down the stream since it was still open despite it being winter. His bag was sitting near where my first shot had landed. I asked him if he had seen my disc and again he denied it. Saying that it had to be nearby and since I was at his backpack first, I picked it up and moved it. Behold there was my disc under his bag. He claimed he thought it was his disc because he throws the exact same color. I could only comment on how ironic it was that his disc looks just like mine including my name and phone number clearly visible.

Lastly, I saw this kid again a month later, again roaming the course. I watched every shot carefully and I had no incidents with him this time. However, as my friend arrived and we played two last rounds before it was too dark, we noticed that his backpack was perched on top of Hole #9. We ignored it the first time through but it was still there 45 minutes later as we played around again. Without preaching, I have never partaken in drugs and never well, but my friend can easily detect that smell and the backpack stank of it. We assumed he had left it thinking we were gone, leaving it so he would not get in trouble bringing it home and or leaving it for someone else. We could not resist and looked through the discs in the bag. Of the ten discs, five had numbers. Of those five we called, we got a hold of two and both said they had lost their discs there months earlier but they both agreed that it was not worth the trouble of figuring out if the discs were stolen or simply found. They were definitely not traded though.

Regardless of whether or not dude should or shouldn't have let the disc out of sight (which he should not have), theft is theft.
Totally wack and I hope whoever stole has bad disc karma forever.

Right at dusk, after a long day of throwing disc, my buddy went back to the pond on hole 1 at Acorn Park to retrieve his favorite Buzzz which he had earlier thrown into the water. He trudged around, barefoot, in the nasty slop at the bottom of that "pond" for 30 minutes and, huzzah! after sunset, in the dark abyss, he found his favorite disc. He got back in his car, drove home, and went about the business of cleaning the Acorn funk off his legs...

Next morning he gets a call from some random kid asking if he had lost a bag full of discs. The realization hits him, he had taken off his bag by hole 1 prior to going in to the pond and had never picked it back up. He had some cash, ~20 discs, and some other crap in the thing and all of it was returned by a random local. My buddy offered him a few beers but the kid refused saying it was actually his 18th(??) birthday and he wasn't old enough to drink, ha! He opted for a few discs instead and joined our local club. Turned out to be a good guy.

People do shady **** but there are plenty off good people out there too...

Right at dusk, after a long day of throwing disc, my buddy went back to the pond on hole 1 at Acorn Park to retrieve his favorite Buzzz which he had earlier thrown into the water. He trudged around, barefoot, in the nasty slop at the bottom of that "pond" for 30 minutes and, huzzah! after sunset, in the dark abyss, he found his favorite disc. He got back in his car, drove home, and went about the business of cleaning the Acorn funk off his legs...

Next morning he gets a call from some random kid asking if he had lost a bag full of discs. The realization hits him, he had taken off his bag by hole 1 prior to going in to the pond and had never picked it back up. He had some cash, ~20 discs, and some other crap in the thing and all of it was returned by a random local. My buddy offered him a few beers but the kid refused saying it was actually his 18th(??) birthday and he wasn't old enough to drink, ha! He opted for a few discs instead and joined our local club. Turned out to be a good guy.

This deserves a definite +1. I know that Acorn funk well. There is a deaf guy who is often out there in the summer in his waders. All he does is troll that muck and the swamp by Hole 8 and 9 for discs. If you throw it in there while he is there, he has no problems plucking it out for you. However, I have been told that if he finds it later, even if it has a name and number he will not return it but instead sell it used to stores and other people.

I hope this is the not the case about him because again if you are there and put it in the water while he is searching, he seems to be a very nice guy and asks nothing of you, just wades over to that spot and plucks it out for you.

I have been told that if he finds it later, even if it has a name and number he will not return it but instead sell it used to stores and other people....while he is searching, he seems to be a very nice guy and asks nothing of you, just wades over to that spot and plucks it out for you.

There are at least 3 dudes who work Acorn puddles (and all other courses with water, particularly the Valley/Lochness) for discs and slang right out of their cars in the parking lot at reallllly cheap prices. They are decent guys, in that they will often give a disc back to you (if you aren't an *******) that would otherwise have been lost in the water.

Definite +1 on this.
Your buddy must have good disc karma. :D

I never leave any of the things I bring to a course out of my sight.

I never have my bag more than 15ft away from me at anytime while on the course. I take my bag in the restroom with me, unless I am with a friend to watch my bag.

Stop defending thievery.

I can not believe all these "it is his fault" comments. Theft is theft. It is immoral, it is against the law, there is NOTHING to justify it. Just because someone gives you the opportunity does not mean that you have to take it.

Sheesh you people.

PS : Must be nice to life here in switzerland. You can leave your entire bag unobserverd, nobody will steal anything. I have been playing various forms of frisbee in all kinds of public and very crowded parks for over 15 years now, not once has anything been stolen. Even when I leave my bag, go out of the park across the street to buy food or drinks or whatever. People just behave.

Last edited:
Stop defending thievery.

I can not believe all these "it is his fault" comments. Theft is theft. It is immoral, it is against the law, there is NOTHING to justify it. Just because someone gives you the opportunity does not mean that you have to take it.

Sheesh you people.

PS : Must be nice to life here in switzerland. You can leave your entire bag unobserverd, nobody will steal anything. I have been playing various forms of frisbee in all kinds of public and very crowded parks for over 15 years now, not once has anything been stolen. Even when I leave my bag, go out of the park across the street to buy food or drinks or whatever. People just behave.

We aren't defending thievery we are just saying that in many cases it can be avoided if you just take one second and think about what you are doing.

I don't want to be shot so I don't go walking around certain neighborhoods at night. I don't want my stuff to be stolen so I don't walk away and leave them in the middle of an open area out of my view.

that's pretty low, stealing a disc while someone is working to improve your course.

the worst story i can think took place on the last hole of my home course. there was a group in front of us, clearly knew we were there, and clearly a bunch of spiteful noobs who were not opposed to things like vandalism, slow play, or any other violation of etiquette. the final hole of this course is a sharp uphill with a slightly blind turn at the top. we heard them chain out and even heard a car starting, so my friend chucks and it's a good shot, probably parked by the basket. we hear car tires squealing off up top and when we get to the basket, his disc is gone. those appholes knew that we were shooting behind them but decided to grab his drive and speed off with it!

Hole #18 at Westbrook park in Dayton, Ohio is a blind up hill throw. If you miss left you are sitting by the Tee Pad for #1. We throw up and hear the disc skip the parking lot up on the hill...we got up there and two guys were standing on #1's Tee Pad...we asked if they saw it..."Nope"...was the reply...if they were there the last 5 min it would have hit them, or they would have heard it....so we walked all over looking for it...they are watching us the entire time...we searched for 30 min at least...we saw them about an hour later walking down #7 which runs just below #1...they still see us looking....we walked back up to 18 and decide to call it quits...I turned around just where they were, in the middle of their fairway I see the disc...wasn't there before...is there now...took them 7 holes to drop the disc and keep going...

if you find a disc, look around...don't see anyone, and then a few min someone comes looking, just say you found it and give it back...don't be a wimp about it and wait till the guy is not looking and throw it down somewhere...

I've heard a lot of stolen/lost disc stories, but this one I personally witnessed.

So while at a workday today a buddy had a disc returned to him by another player. At one point he set this disc down alongside a creek with his hat, as we went about 50 yards away to gather rocks to create a walking path from one hole to another for when the path gets muddy. He was just out of view of his property and at some point, someone came along and took the disc but left the hat. :thmbdown: Hope the guy forever plays endless rounds of horrible golf until he does the right thing and gives it back (his # is on the disc)

that's sad. you really have to expect the worst out of people :(

i had a very similar thing happen to me. too many db's play this sport.

Stop defending thievery.

Sheesh you people.

Ya, people in america suck ass and are the shisters of the planet. dont know why, all i know is I keep my KARMA golden.

Latest posts