• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc wedged in the basket from the outside

Paulrus44

I was just wondering how to score the hole if my disc hits the outside of the basket and gets wedged in there. The disc is not on the ground and isnt in the basket or chains. Also what if it were to land on top of the basket (above the chains)?

803.13 Holing Out

Wedged in is ok. On top is not.
B. Disc Entrapment Devices: In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc and it must come to rest supported by the chains or within one of the entrapment sections. This includes a disc wedged into or hanging from the lower entrapment section but excludes a disc resting on top of, or hanging outside of, the upper entrapment section. The disc must also remain within the chains or entrapment sections until removed.

Wedged in the tray counts as completing the hole because the disc is supported by the entrapment device (tray & chains).

Disc Resting On Top (DROT) does not count as completing the hole because that's not how the basket was designed to catch the disc. It takes one more stroke (hopefully just one) to complete the hole.

I've been told by some that if your disc gets wedged in the lower entrapment section that you have to pull the disc from inside the basket for it to count. I don't see this supported by what I've read in the rule book. I always thought that you just had to remove it yourself before it falls.

I've been told by some that if your disc gets wedged in the lower entrapment section that you have to pull the disc from inside the basket for it to count. I don't see this supported by what I've read in the rule book. I always thought that you just had to remove it yourself before it falls.

Never heard the one about pulling it from the inside but you do have to grab it before it falls out.

I know those are the rules (on top = not in, wedged in the side = in), but I think it's lame. One that lands on top, I could go either way on... but a wedgie was obviously a LOW putt that missed.

Be careful about the old "remove it before it falls" thing. If it's moving - you're not allowed to touch it - that would be interference. Wedgie's are good - so long as they are "at rest".

And for the record - I agree with Adam - the rule should not allow for a disc to enter the side - that's lame!

I know those are the rules (on top = not in, wedged in the side = in), but I think it's lame. One that lands on top, I could go either way on... but a wedgie was obviously a LOW putt that missed.
Agreed. It's pretty stupid. Hanging on the outside knuckle counts too.

B. Disc Entrapment Devices: In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc and it must come to rest supported by the chains or within one of the entrapment sections. This includes a disc wedged into or hanging from the lower entrapment section but excludes a disc resting on top of, or hanging outside of, the upper entrapment section. The disc must also remain within the chains or entrapment sections until removed.
I'm not feeling the whole "The disc must also remain within the chains or entrapment sections until removed" part. I play that if it falls through the bottom of the basket, it still counts. What else can you do though I guess. I'm sure you've all had your putter fall through the bottom of the basket occasionally

Since I use soft beat up putters, and tend to fire at the basket... I have had them go all the way thru the lower bars and squeeze in.

The realm of silly dg rules is not restricted to just DROT (disc resting on top) and a bad shot that stuck lucky, but as long as we are all competing by the same silly rules it makes it okay.

:^/

Yes. Particularly when parks dept mowers slam into the basket and bend the cage area of the basket.
We've had a few mowers run over our extra pin placements obliterating them. That can't be good for the mower.

We've had a few mowers run over our extra pin placements obliterating them. That can't be good for the mower.

I recommend having someone in your club make metal caps for those extra sleeves. Not too hard to do, and it'll mean that you don't end up with a bunch of unusable pin placements. Now, the mowers running into the baskets is a different issue, and harder to solve unless you take away the mower guy's cooler...

I'm not feeling the whole "The disc must also remain within the chains or entrapment sections until removed" part. I play that if it falls through the bottom of the basket, it still counts. What else can you do though I guess. I'm sure you've all had your putter fall through the bottom of the basket occasionally
Play however you want, but in sanctioned/tournament play it doesn't count. Sorry.

Play however you want, but in sanctioned/tournament play it doesn't count. Sorry.

To be fair, most sanctioned tournaments probably don't have baskets that are bent so badly that discs fall right through the bottom.

Wedged in the tray counts as completing the hole because the disc is supported by the entrapment device (tray & chains).

Disc Resting On Top (DROT) does not count as completing the hole because that's not how the basket was designed to catch the disc. It takes one more stroke (hopefully just one) to complete the hole.

Dern, EricJ, that's the most logical explaination I've ever heard of for this rule.... thank you. It now makes sense.

I do agree that it is obviously a "low" shot, but really, have you ever tried to intentionally wedge ur putter in the basket (even super soft ones) via a throw (of course)??? Needless to say, it's not easy.

I have seen a few putters squeeze all the way through the basket B4... what are the chances??? :D

Hanging on the outside knuckle counts too.

This is probably the most unusual putt I've ever seen stick. The rim of the disc was holding the disc between two of the knuckles, completely on the outside of the tray. Jammed on there pretty tight too. He threw this one during warm-up practice.

266315493637.jpg

266315551877.jpg

Latest posts