• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Disc Weight Issues

SpikeHyzer

* Ace Member *
This is more of a rant. I am so f*cking tired of ordering disc's online that are marked at the weight I am looking for, only to have them arrive + or - 4 to 5 grams. Apparently disc manufacturers abide by the same rule as weather forecasters..."Ah **** it, close enough". We, as the consumer, shouldn't have to put up with this ridiculous level of crappy manufacturing standards. If I were a construction worker and I built a house that was 4 to 5 feet off, there would be a bit of an issue. How freaking hard is it to put a disc on a scale and record it accurately? :wall:

Should the PDGA, as the governing body, start leveling fines against manufacturer's that can't keep within guidelines?

I don't think that is something that can be enforced too well. That is one of the reasons why I do not typically buy max weight though.

If the disc isn't exceeding PDGA established limits for the mold, it's not their problem. Even if it is, it's not their problem. It's yours. You can ask your retailer if they will return it, or use a retailer like Marshall Street which individually weighs discs, and lists them accordingly.

I hate this, it's why i don't typically buy max weight. It's more of an OCD thing than actually thinking i would ever get called out in a tournament.

I understand the question about consistency, yet I'm sad that you are "f*cking tired" enough to go into a rant that weighs the equivalent of a nickel. 5¢

At the end of the day, making this a part of disc production would cost alot for the end user. Time is money and this would take seconds per disc, which adds up to alot of time and money, which would then be reflected on the price per disc.

Personally i wouldn't mind paying an extra $1 per disc to know that it's within spec, but most other players wouldn't because nobody gets called on this in tournaments.

Disc Nation, Disc Golf Center, Marshall Street, and Community Discs all weigh their discs individually. I'm sure there's more stores that do, where are you shopping?

If I was the dude at Innova sitting around all day weighing discs and writing that number on the back over and over again all day long, I would:

1. Make some honest mistakes.
2. Make some fatigue-based errors, like writing 157 instead of 175, or rounding carelessly.
3. Probably either slit my wrists after a week or start skipping the weighing part and just start writing random numbers on the backs of discs.

3. Probably either slit my wrists after a week or start skipping the weighing part and just start writing random numbers on the backs of discs.

^^ Pretty sure this is how most manufacturer's are doing it anymore. ^^

Seems like weights are all over the place regardless if it is a max weight disc or not. In this particular instance, it was supposed to be a 173g Wizard that ended up weighing 168g and a KC Roc that was supposed to be 177, but ended up weighing in at 183g. It may seem trivial, but when going through putting practice, I can visually tell from my disc's flight, if the disc is weighing different than I am used to practicing with. If it is heavier by 3 or more grams, my putts will hit low and left. If it is lighter by 3 or more, it will drift high and right. At close ranges, say under 20 feet, it isn't all that noticeable. But when you get out towards the circles edge, it becomes a problem for me.

Last edited:
I guess that's why Discraft gives a range. At least they are honest about the possibility of it varying. Speaking of which, do you guys remove or leave the discraft weight sticker?

i understand discs weighing in a few grams overweight, as dave dunipace has said on numerous instances on his pdga thread that discs absorb water over time. now how much they actually absorb is another story. another thing to consider is the conditions in the factory, and the scales they're using. in college i worked as a quantatative chemistry lab assistant for 4 years, and i was responsible for keeping all of the scales calibrated. i'm sure however they're scaled in the factory is far from ideal conditions. i've always been curious about discs that come in underweight. i had a few wizards marked 175 and were really like 168. i just figured they got mixed in with a bunch that had been scaled to max weight and were just labeled as such without being measured.

I guess that's why Discraft gives a range. At least they are honest about the possibility of it varying. Speaking of which, do you guys remove or leave the discraft weight sticker?

Discraft gives a range because when they weigh them, they weigh a stack of ten, and then put the average on each, and hope it's in the range. But all my Discraft has been in, or pretty close to the sticker.

I leave them on. They're really a pain to get off.

well, i will say that i haven't had a bunk MVP disc weight yet. i haven't bought a ton of their stuff, though. all within 1 gram.

my wizards have been as far as 4 grams off before. usually they are 1, sometimes 2. gateway lives up to their consistently inconsistent reputation, but i still love them.

those are the only two companies i have weighed so i can't comment on innova, etc.

Innova is terrible about this, fortunately quite a few of their molds are approved higher than you can find penned weight. For example the aviar is approved to 176 but you wont find one penned higher than 175, same with Teebird

If you saw my previous post you know where I stand, however, he does have a valid argument about holding manufactures responsible for the product they put out. Weight is weight and is just as important as the other flight factors.

I hate this, it's why i don't typically buy max weight. It's more of an OCD thing than actually thinking i would ever get called out in a tournament.

Unless you play in the Japan Open, where they inspect and weight every disc in your bag for safety.

Latest posts