• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DisCatcher Pro versus Mach V

DisCatcher Pro versus Mach V

• DisCatcher Pro

Votes: 36 44.4%
  • Mach V

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Neither, I like a different basket

Votes: 7 8.6%

• Total voters
a high putt will get knocked down versus just overshooting with the Mach V.
this happened to me about a month ago when i was playing a course with both baskets. on put hit the yellow band and just dropped straight down and a similar put on the mach v sailed right over and landed 15 from the basket on the other side.

We just installed 12 Chainstar baskets at Leverich Park in Vancouver, Washington, USA. They have been in the ground for about 4 months now and so far everyone I have talked to likes the baskets. I have had a few putts that bounce out that I would have to blame on the basket, but that happens on any basket from time to time. Overall the basket plays very consistently and you can't beat the price.

Those of you that have done your homework know that the Chainstar is a Mach V with a couple of minor modifications.

The Mach V has a dead spot, high and off-center. It's an off-center putt, so when the Mach V spits it a lot of folks will just shrug that it wasn't a good putt. However, the DisCatcher Pro or Titan will catch that putt. So purely as a catching basket, I think the Mach V could stand some work.
Is that anecdotal or is there some scientific data behind it?

It'd be interesting to see some sort of experiment like that done. But you'd have the problem of the disc variable. The throws would have to be done by machine for consistency. But then any experiment with enough data, i.e. throws/catches, to be significant would have the problem of discs wearing... especially from a machined throwing apparatus.

ERic

I like the discatcher pro, because they put the specs on their web page and I was able to take that info and weld together a perfect replica except in heavier grade steel...so now whenever I see a discatcher pro I think of it's beefy bastard child living in my subdivision and a little tear forms in the corner of my eye .I'll post a picture soon

Last edited:
In a game where I know the course, I like Mach V simply because I think they look better in nature. I guess I don't like the big yellow belt on the DisCatcher. However, when playing new courses or ones that are heavily wooded, it's nice to be able to actually see the basket and I prefer DisCatcher in that situation. I guess it depends on the visibility of the course and like someone said before, you could always get a neon flag for above the Mach V.

I like the Discatchers also. That bright yellow band helps these old eyes find the basket. You can't hit what can't find.

I am a mach V guy! I can't say which one catches better, because I've missed puts on both, but I like the chain pattern on the Mach V.

I've had a number of players tell me that they don't like the Discatchers precisely because the bright yellow color presents a visual distraction to them while putting. I do notice that I tend to squint my eyes more when looking at one versus a more silvery DGA basket.

We call them the 'Yellow Rings of Death'....however...you can now purchase them in custom colors to match the tee signs or course logo or whatever. While the yellow ones may not look 'professional'...one with a custom color and a custom graphic of the course name and hole number looks highly professional.

The only time I ever blame the basket is when someone has damaged the basket due to their obvious lack of anger management. If you putt too hard, too much spin...too much hyzer...or just hit the wrong spot...it is going to cause you a lot of mental frustration until you realize...it isn't the basket..but you.

I agree with the folks who say that placement matters. Tight woods, get some yellow discatchers to make them easy to see. Out in more of a field, get the MachVs, IIIs or Chainstars -- they blend in better with the environment, and -- especially when you get them hotdipped in a color like blue or red -- they are the sweetest and most professional looking baskets out there.

I think one of the biggest advantages to the discatchers isn't just visibility, but advertising/sponsorship potential. You've got that big band begging for sponsor lettering which is dollars for the course if you do it right. Some of the custom-colored discatchers (like the black ones out at Hawk Hollow) are incredibly sweet looking.

IMHO, all the baskets catch pretty well. And even if they don't, we're all playing the same baskets. Single chains or shallow baskets add to the challenge and make you more careful with your putts, so I have nothing against different baskets. I'm more concerned with wayfinding, aesthetics and budget -- those should be your biggest concern, IMHO.

On a related note: has anyone tried Titans' yet? The look sweet, but I've never played a course that has them. According the the DGCourseReview search, they only have them on a dozen courses so far, and the closest one to me is over 800 miles away.

I am not really partial to either, but I do like the Innova Discatcher because it is yellow and easier to spot in the woods. I just played at a new course this weekend that had the DGA Mach V and had no idea where the pins were. Steel is surprisingly hard to see through the woods, and all I had to look for is the little red sticker.

I would agree that the Discatcher is easier to see from the teepad, however when it comes down to putting (the most important part) I would much rather be putting at a Mach V. Personally, the Discatcher's yellow belt makes the chain area seems smaller and a bit more difficult to hit, but that may just be a mental block I have.

What kind of basket is that? Looks cool.
Really sweet custom baskets made by a guy local to Denver area. I'd say they were probably the nicest non-big-name baskets I've played so far.

I got a guy here in town that said he would powder coat the baskets for about $25-30 a piece. Safety yellow...florescent colors...you name it.

Problem solved.

Oh...and obviously most are not local to me. Just check out fabrication shops...this guy builds go-karts. Powder comes in 6500 different colors and he said it can baked right over the galvanizing.

I cannot count the times I have seen folks hit that yellow band on Innova baskets.

I prefer Mach baskets, but we have Innova Yellow Tops. We added a second set of chains years ago.
That was a huge difference. I remember when we installed them some folks whined. wtf.

They came around.

Latest posts