• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discgolf: A form of moving meditation?

demon102

Birdie Member
I started this blog just for a reference for another forum because I'd end up answering many of the same questions about certain things like meditation and training the mind. This one is about discgolf and meditation and I figured this forum would get kick out of it. I just do the blog for fun, let me know what you think guys.

http://tamingyourmonkeymind.blogspot.com/

In a book by Ram Dass (psychologist, author and meditation teacher) I read something that rings true in my mind and gives great insight to why meditation is so hard for many Americans and I assume many people in the west. "India is the land of spirituality, while America is the land of action." I was explaining that quote (which I probably butchered lol) to a good friend of mine the other day during a round of disc golf. It makes since when you think of how ancient the civilization and culture of India is and the US is so new that we have much work to be done in this land just for the basic infrastructure for the population that was and is still growing. Well after some time with that quote, the history of the lands and our appetites for meditation in mind, it became very clear to me that it's almost against our very societal nature to do a simple sitting form of meditation. THIS IS THE LAND OF ACTION!!

Even I find it hard to meditate sitting still for longer than 5-10 minutes even though I first tried out meditating very early in life at around 8 or so, although I was just copying what I saw in kung fu movies and didn't know what I was doing lol. 22 years later and meditating on and off during that time I still find it a struggle to do a sitting meditation as funny as that may seem. It does seem as though this form of meditation is against our very nature as the land and it's people call you to take action. We love action movies, working hard ( if we like our job ), we love sports, THE GREAT OURDOORS, we even love rough and playful sex. Everything screams at you to take action!!

With that in mind I look at our allies and trade partners in the east, the Chinese. Just like India they are well established as an ancient culture that is rich with spirituality and are known for a long history of meditation. They also have an appetite for advancement, progress and building up their society to modern ways and even beyond with some of their new mega constructions going on. In a sense they have a good mix of both being a land of spirituality, as well as being a land of action and advancement. The best of both worlds so to speak. Just as a lot of people in the west can't sit still for too long, it seems many of the Chinese also have an appetite for action that gets in the way of sitting meditation. Their answer seems to be Tai-Chi, a moving form of meditation. Now I know very little of Tai-Chi and have never done it but lets face it if you watch movies you have seen certain Kung Fu masters show it off on film like Jackie Chan. I even remarked to a couple of friends when I was re-learning how to putt recently that the technique for putting reminded me of Tai-Chi moves during my practice swings.

I got into disc golf years ago but just got back into it 3 years or so ago and I got into using a mantra about 2 years ago. Since then my game has grown leaps and bounds and of course the help of being one-pointed or you could say being focused on one point (think aiming a gun at a bullseye) that my throws have become more focused and accurate as well.

Recently I introduced an old friend of mine to disc golf and immediately he became addicted!! He had just broken up with his long time girlfriend and as many of us do ended up in a hole of booze and self-loathing. As soon as he got a taste of disc golf he immediately jumped out of that hole and he's gotten better in a matter of months then some people I know who have played for years.

Now with my work with the mantra I just say it at all times when Im not using 100% of my mind, including playing disc golf. Almost naturally and with no interest in mantras or meditation I noticed that my buddy was repeating a mantra out loud!! Whenever we would go practice in a field or he was throwing during a round at the course he would end up repeating "Woooosaaah, Woooosaaah, Woooosaaah." during his practice swings and throw. He picked up the anger quelling mantra that he saw in the movie Anger Management and whether he knew it or not he was doing a moving form of meditation out of the blue as well as having a new addiction.

At this point disc golf is my favorite way to meditate and even brought my addiction to disc golf to an entirely new level. A form of meditation where I get to play a sport, be out in nature and hang out with friends?

HELL YA, SIGN ME UP!!!! :)

I know for me, disc golf is almost like putting my brain on autopilot. I still "think" about what I'm doing out there, but most of the "real" thinking is turned off. So yeah, I'd agree that it's a form of meditation.

There's probably something to be said for a certain Buddhist sense of detachment on the course...or so I'd imagine.

My mental game is still less Dhali Lama and more John McEnroe, but I'm getting there.

(woosaaaah.)

Even I find it hard to meditate sitting still for longer than 5-10 minutes even though I first tried out meditating very early in life at around 8 or so, although I was just copying what I saw in kung fu movies and didn't know what I was doing lol. 22 years later and meditating on and off during that time I still find it a struggle to do a sitting meditation as funny as that may seem. It does seem as though this form of meditation is against our very nature as the land and it's people call you to take action.

Honest question: is meditation something that you do? Maybe some part of your struggle with meditation is caused by your trying so hard to do it, as though it is an action? I'm tempted to suggest, "Don't just do something, sit there!" But I don't know much at all about meditation myself. :eek:

I can kind of see how the ideas of meditation and zen could affect disc golf, especially with putting and accuracy shots, being calm and not overthinking have generally given me the best results, relax and let muscle memory take over.

I haven't found anything that completely shuts out my stress brain except for basketball but sadly after two knee reconstructions. So disc golf is the closest thing to a stress reliver I can physically do. There is alot of down time where my mind still wonders. I've noticed I do play better when something bad happens in my life and I'm not trying too hard.

I probably wouldn't go so far as to call it meditation, because undoubtedly you are using your mind to think. Meditation is the opposite. I do however use it as part of my practice in that it's a great way to practice mindfulness. Completely devoting the attention to the task at hand...disc golf.
There is of course mindfulness meditation...but you are more being mindful of your body feelings, your breath and the noises/happenings around you.
So in short, I'd say it's an amazing part of Buddhist practice, but I reserve meditation for the cushion.

In a lot of Zen/Chan traditions, meditation isn't just something where you just sit there and clear your mind (it's never that really). It's about intense focus. Often on Buddhist retreats, you meditate why in a sitting/kneeling position, but you also meditate while walking around, eating, opening a door, etc. It's often called "mindfulness," where your mind is fully focused on just what you're doing. That's the meditation: doing what you're doing. It's not about actively clearing your mind; it's a physical thing.

So you can definitely do this playing disc golf, and that kind of focus would certainly help. It takes a lot of practice though, to do just what you're doing and nothing more. I'd bet a lot of golfers with a good mental game do something like this naturally, and some people are naturally inclined to do it in general more than others. The meditation is the practice of this, it's the honing of that mental focus that everyone is capable of to make yourself better at focusing entirely on just what you're doing. Imagine having that level of focus in a tournament. While everybody else is scrambling to recover from a bad shot, or trying to stay on top, you're just focusing on your shots because just like you've trained your body to keep in rhythm to ensure that your shots are level, you've trained your mind to keep in rhythm to keep your mind level.

Also, this kind of meditation isn't about not thinking. Thinking thoughts is part of what you do. You can think in a focused way, or not. It's about thinking in a focused way, and thinking isn't really treated any differently than breathing. It's something you do as a human and you'll always think. You can certainly think during meditation, but typically you just allow the thoughts to happen and you don't pursue them.

Last edited:
I thought mantras were supposed to be secret, and given to you. This was an informative read and I can dig it. Everyone has been in the zone, and it'd be awesome to be able to utilize that at all times.

I have always found going to the field and throwing some easy drives very relaxing.

In a lot of Zen/Chan traditions, meditation isn't just something where you just sit there and clear your mind (it's never that really). It's about intense focus. Often on Buddhist retreats, you meditate why in a sitting/kneeling position, but you also meditate while walking around, eating, opening a door, etc. It's often called "mindfulness," where your mind is fully focused on just what you're doing. That's the meditation: doing what you're doing. It's not about actively clearing your mind; it's a physical thing.

So you can definitely do this playing disc golf, and that kind of focus would certainly help. It takes a lot of practice though, to do just what you're doing and nothing more. I'd bet a lot of golfers with a good mental game do something like this naturally, and some people are naturally inclined to do it in general more than others. The meditation is the practice of this, it's the honing of that mental focus that everyone is capable of to make yourself better at focusing entirely on just what you're doing. Imagine having that level of focus in a tournament. While everybody else is scrambling to recover from a bad shot, or trying to stay on top, you're just focusing on your shots because just like you've trained your body to keep in rhythm to ensure that your shots are level, you've trained your mind to keep in rhythm to keep your mind level.

Also, this kind of meditation isn't about not thinking. Thinking thoughts is part of what you do. You can think in a focused way, or not. It's about thinking in a focused way, and thinking isn't really treated any differently than breathing. It's something you do as a human and you'll always think. You can certainly think during meditation, but typically you just allow the thoughts to happen and you don't pursue them.

I agree with your analysis of mindfulness, and this is what I understand to be "the practice." In my opinion meditation differs in that you are not doing anything. Yes thoughts arise...no way to stop that, but like you said you observe unattached and let them fade without entertaining them. In disc golf you are most likely actively thinking. Yes you may only be thinking about what's happening present moment, but it is thinking. I would call this "mindfullness," but probably not meditation. However these are only things that I have experienced, and your experiences most certainly could differ, (ahhh the beauty of nondogmatic Buddhism). I guess I just picture the great meditation where you get into the calm mind state and it's almost blackness. I've heard people talk about yoga and rock climbing (two things I love), as moving meditation. It doesn't jive with me, but to each their own. It's your practice and yours alone! Namaste :)

Honest question: is meditation something that you do? Maybe some part of your struggle with meditation is caused by your trying so hard to do it, as though it is an action? I'm tempted to suggest, "Don't just do something, sit there!" But I don't know much at all about meditation myself. :eek:

Meditation from what I just learned recently translates to : "protecting the mind" or something along those lines. On a neuroscience level it literally does just that from neurotransmitters of fear, anger and other less pleasing emotions which done habitually will release stress hormones into the body. You can literally protect the brain and the body from stress hormones especially if you have some kind of negative emotional habit like with anxiety or anger issues both is which I used to have really bad. Instead of going down what they call the downward spiral of anxiety ie having a panic attack which I used to have a ton in social situation I can just focus on a mantra and it helps to keep the mind off of the fear and stops the release of the chemicals of fear and stress which can be really bad for the brain and body.

Cortisol the main stress hormone of the body is horrible for both the brain and body long term. You can easily see how it would be beneficial for a pro athlete let along any normal person to just meditate at all times to override any negative emotional habit.

http://stress.about.com/od/stresshealth/a/cortisol.htm

Higher and more prolonged levels of cortisol in the bloodstream (like those associated with chronic stress) have been shown to have negative effects, such as:

Impaired cognitive performance
Suppressed thyroid function
Blood sugar imbalances such as hyperglycemia
Decreased bone density
Decrease in muscle tissue
Higher blood pressure
Lowered immunity and inflammatory responses in the body, slowed wound healing, and other health consequences
Increased abdominal fat, which is associated with a greater amount of health problems than fat deposited in other areas of the body. Some of the health problems associated with increased stomach fat are heart attacks, strokes, the development of metabolic syndrome, higher levels of "bad" cholesterol (LDL) and lower levels of "good" cholesterol (HDL), which can lead to other health problems!

The only time I sit still is when I am on here...can I call DGCR my mediation?

I basically just use a mantra at all times. Meditating at all times is miles ahead of my old habit of always worrying. You dont need to sit still to meditate there are many moving meditations just like Tai chi. Peronally I think just focusing on 1 think will help at all times.

This guy gets it!! :clap: You seem like you've studied this for quite a while bud.

I thought mantras were supposed to be secret, and given to you. This was an informative read and I can dig it. Everyone has been in the zone, and it'd be awesome to be able to utilize that at all times.

Thats some kind of goofy guru crap imo that's more about I guess some kind of religious like way of meditation. Im waaaaaay more into the entire neuroscience benefit of meditation. Honestly anything can be a mantra as long as you dig it. I started off just saying zen, love, and experimented with lots of other stuff. Its more about the focus on 1 thing to keep your mind from being pulled by desires, worries, annoyances, whateever else and it doesnt have to be a mantra. The mantra is just super easy to do lol. :D

DG is great (for me at least) for stress and anger relief. Any time I'm stressed because of school or work or family or whatever, three or four holes is all it takes to calm me down. By the time I finish the round I'm in a great mood. Honestly, I couldn't tell you the last time I had a bad time golfing (no matter how badly I play!)

I interviewed a guy for a position and asked how he "de-stressed". His answer?

"I play a lot of disc golf".

Ding ding ding!

I hired him.

Meditation? No. I find it far more in line with the Christian school of "remain always in a prayerful state" ... "Please God, let me miss that tree"

Latest posts