• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discgolfer Magazine - Reminder its trash day.

Perhaps they removed the option, but I believe you can knock $5 off your registration by not receiving the magazine.

There was a pretty good article about our local club in the Summer 2012 issue. I even got my picture in there too, lol. That said, I think that's the only issue I've ever looked at cover to cover.

Bingo!.... It's like looking at someone else's High School yearbook that apparently lacks a journalism club.

Too many collages, no interesting, thought provoking, educational or entertaining journalism.

I sure don't see everyone being a fan, but random comments like "is nothing more than a ego trip for board members", seems to miss the mark for me. Especially from such a fan of the ego driven, pro player, Youtube content. Maybe you are part of the inner board circle, leaving me without your insight?

I don't agree with the "everything has to be electronic" crowd. I don't own a cell phone and strive to spend as little time in front of a computer as I can. (says the guy replying on a laptop, on a disc golf site). I enjoy magazines. I still get Men Health, Rolling Stone, Sports Illustrated. *Thanks to my Mom for the Christmas gifts, of the above.

Sometimes I think you just debate because you're bored...out of your mind. :rolleyes: The printing of the mag has been discussed ad nauseam. It's an expense most members agree is not needed. Again, by having something in "print" form it appeals to the ego of the board and it's members. Why do you think they "print" the names of the Birdie, Ace and Eagle Club members? At the very least, if someone wants a printed copy of the mag it should be opt'd in as an extra expense when paying for your membership. For the other 99.99% we can read it from "any device" like we do with 99.99% of our daily digested information. If they take up a member vote in 2021 for the future of the magazine, I would guess a slight majority would say it's not even needed, and a much higher majority would say just keep it viewable on the web and/or a .pdf download.

Here's one reason the printed version of the magazine will likely stick around. There's credibility for the sport among the outside media and especially the decision makers at park depts, manufacturers, entrepreneurs, who aren't keeping up with the steady barrage of opinions and information from social media and the internet, that can't be discounted as contributing towards continued growth of the sport.

Here's one reason the printed version of the magazine will likely stick around. There's credibility for the sport among the outside media and especially the decision makers at park depts, manufacturers, entrepreneurs, who aren't keeping up with the steady barrage of opinions and information from social media and the internet, that can't be discounted as contributing towards continued growth of the sport.

Credibility, legitimacy, etc. Sure... make the print version available to those that want to buy it. Soliciting ads, etc, obviously it's a for profit venture, I just don't agree magazine operating expenses, print copies, should be a forced financial contribution from member fees.

Offer the player a reduced subscription fee when they register their membership. If ads + subscription revenue isn't covering the mag's expenses then there shouldn't be a mag. But like I said earlier...with some businesses the ego of legitimizing the business via print is strong and wth...at the least can be used as an expense write off.

With that said, I could see TDs with every sanctioned event, getting X number of free copies of the current edition to give away at tournaments, used for sponsor solicitation, etc. I could also see players being able to order a copy of the current magazine (at a reduced price) when they register for an event. With TDs of course getting a kickback with each sale. ;)

I like hobby magazines. Always have. I like the fact that every time I pick it up I find a new article I missed the first three times I leafed through it. When I was a kid the Nintendo Power magazine day was a great day to be alive.

I took a stack of old pre-Discogolfer and more recent Discgolfer issues to Manila a few years ago. The guy I met there to play his course was just about dumb-struck with excitement over having disc golf in print to show people (and university admins) instead of having to show them something on a phone or laptop.

To me, they sit on a shelf and I actually use a few issues to prop up a corner of my desk.

Nonsense. Print media is dead. Nobody cares. Magazine is a huge waste of money.

I read and keep all of them. Some of the content is interesting. I could do with less on tour players. I also hate the glossy pages, makes it hard for me to read in the bathroom light.

Maybe they should include some dg themed rolling papers in every issue? Might get folks to at least open it up..