• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DiscGolfPark USA

If so, one out of about every 4 to 7 new courses will go through discgolfpark. Also, a lot of the courses discgolfpark will put in would have happened anyway. Seems possible.
I'm wondering if they're possibly factoring redesign/rebranding of existing courses into that number.

Its great that their business plan works overseas in markets that embrace the sport, but i know in my area this is not the case. Every bit of the funds are raised thru donations and sponsors. Its taken my club roughly 4 years to raise the funds for 18 baskets.

There isn't a DG budget and the designers, very few, do most of the work with the help of clubs volunteering.

Last edited:
Hate the idea of turf teepads, there has yet to be one that I have played on where it was actually safe to throw off of. Chances are I will not be playing any of these courses any time soon because of this, at least not without some sort of football cleats or ice cleats.

Last edited:
I really like the idea of turf tee pads!!! Concrete pads work but most courses are all grass except for the tee pads. When the grass as wet it would be nice to be able to wear a shoe with a small cleat but you can't do that if there are concrete pads. Also, it says you are able to move them and that is a huge advantage over concrete.

A real question that should be asked is about maintenance. Once a course is installed, as many club members around the country could tell you, there is a never ending punchlist of maintenance and marketing needed. In addition to the actual course, the local park system, government, municipality, and local community itself, often need reassurance that the course is needed. Is DGP going to be the ones to send a rep to the city council to address concerns? Is DGP leaving an infastructure to course maintenance in place? Will DGP be providing positive marketing to the public to both introduce the game and course, and following up with any potential negative push back? I am not a big club member and might not be asking the right questions. Perhaps some of the folks here, who spend time supporting and maintaining a course, could put some of the ongoing challenges down. I am not suggesting DGP is dropping in courses and running, but I am just curious to the question of ongoing support for the courses.

I really like the idea of turf tee pads!!! Concrete pads work but most courses are all grass except for the tee pads. When the grass as wet it would be nice to be able to wear a shoe with a small cleat but you can't do that if there are concrete pads. Also, it says you are able to move them and that is a huge advantage over concrete.

Ill take the safety of throwing off of a concrete teepad 18+ times during a round. Throwing off of grass in a round is a lot less common on a majority of courses, since you are generally close enough to standstill an appraoch or you are putting.

...Ideally, a ton of sand per tee per month is required (or at least that's what they told me)...

2,000 lbs per month per tee? 36,000 lbs per month for an 18 hole course? Something had to have been lost in the translation, you'd be using 67 lbs of sand per day per hole, every day. Yikes, it's not beach volleyball! :eek:

A 50lb bag of sand is nothing. Seems a high but really 50lbs of sand spread over a big tee isnt a lot.

A 50lb bag of sand is nothing. Seems a high but really 50lbs of sand spread over a big tee isnt a lot.

Every day though? I mean we're just happy the city mows the grass and empties the trash cans every week or as needed. There has to be a lower maintenance turf available, this just would not fly in our area. The city would say, huh? What have you been smoking? :confused:

2,000 lbs per month per tee? 36,000 lbs per month for an 18 hole course? Something had to have been lost in the translation, you'd be using 67 lbs of sand per day per hole, every day. Yikes, it's not beach volleyball! :eek:

Yeah that can't be right

Every day though? I mean we're just happy the city mows the grass and empties the trash cans every week or as needed. There has to be a lower maintenance turf available, this just would not fly in our area. The city would say, huh? What have you been smoking? :confused:

Yeah the total amount seems off for sure. The maintenance factor alone would make these tees a huge hassle if those numbers were accurate. I can see needing to throw down 50lb no problem though not daily lol.

I used to prefer concrete to turf tees. Every astroturf tee I encountered seemed flimsy and definitely got slick when it was wet. Last year Dave Mac installed astroturf tees on his private Ozark Mountain course. Those tees changed my opinion on turf. He used some turf that used to cover an indoor soccer field and it was AWESOME. They're very grippy and I even got to play them in the rain one round. They gripped better than most concrete pads when wet.

As long as DGP uses something similar I will be happy.

Maybe it would be good to get some insight from some Finnish players who play on these a lot?

There's a lot of ways to do a turf tee pad wrong obviously, but there's a lot of ways to do a paved/concrete tee wrong also. Kinda silly that we pre-judge things like this before we try them (lol what am I saying, this is the internets)

I don't think a clete will be needed... Maybe ask around what the players used at the European Open, or on other DGP courses with them.

I for one am excited to play some DGP designed courses, and I really love (maybe my favorite part) the red baskets with thick bottom post. I think they look sweet.

And Finland gets their share of rain and snow... The USA has a very diverse climate so I would expect some different options for Desert/Mountain/Plains/Swampland areas

It's crazy to use cletes on these turf pads IMO. I have never had problem with grip on them. You need to do some twisting of the foot, it's not like you want your foot to be completely locked in position when you throw

I used to prefer concrete to turf tees. Every astroturf tee I encountered seemed flimsy and definitely got slick when it was wet. Last year Dave Mac installed astroturf tees on his private Ozark Mountain course. Those tees changed my opinion on turf. He used some turf that used to cover an indoor soccer field and it was AWESOME. They're very grippy and I even got to play them in the rain one round. They gripped better than most concrete pads when wet.

As long as DGP uses something similar I will be happy.

Did you notice if he added sand to the pads? This type of turf is pretty reasonable used, .60-75 cents sq/ft. It would be interesting to install this over one concrete pad at our local course, just to try it out and get feedback.

Did you notice if he added sand to the pads? This type of turf is pretty reasonable used, .60-75 cents sq/ft. It would be interesting to install this over one concrete pad at our local course, just to try it out and get feedback.

I did not pay that much attention to the detail of the installation so can't say if he used sand or not.

WRtWWlb.jpg

I love all this speculation - you could just read the website which has all the answers! There's even an advert for it flashing up on the advert bar on here! http://www.discgolfpark.net/discgolfpark/installation-instructions/

Personally I think sand filled astro is already archaic and i hope they move to 4g stuff which is better and takes far less ongoing maintenance. with at least 22mm pile you'll never slip as long as it's laid the right way with the grain facing the player. 4 g stuff is turf without the sand or rubber infill. I've started using it for teepads and it is excellent. Lovely feel underfoot and no chance of slipping even when wet. Hell I would love the whole fairway to be made of this stuff...

agreed that old style 1g and 2g astro turf would become very slippy over time. The new stuff though you really should try before knocking.

Congrats DGCR's TimG and regular Dana for getting going with this - hope it all works out well for you guys, it looks a great oppurtunity with a proven force in the sport, i am curious though Dana - Prodigy sponsored - will working for disc golf park be like sleeping with the enemy, or have you got a big 2016 move lined up ;)

I think that they key to all teepads whether DiscGolfPark Turf, Cement, Rubber is proper installation. The DiscGolfPark TeePad has been used for years over in Finland and from what I can gather, has held up great. US players come back home from playing on these and give great reviews.

I'm looking to get clarification on the upkeep (Re: adding sand) when I get a chance.

Latest posts