• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

More Gimmicks, Please!

Gblambert

Birdie Member
More gimmicks! That's not something you hear very often. And rightfully so. Gimmicks on a disc golf course can reward players for lucky shots, while you want tournament winners to earn their victories with skill. Personally, I'm not a fan of gimmicks on any regular course, including those raised baskets that I see everywhere.

But on a disc golf putt-putt course, it's a different story. When we built the putt-putt course at the Flying Armadillo we used every gimmick we could find. I searched the posts on this site for the gimmicks that most players hate, and then put them on the putt-putt course. We included things like a roller ramp, a basket on top of a 10 ft tall lighthouse, a tee pad in a tree house, a basket in the ground, a hanging basket, a basket inside of an Alamo replica, and some that are so quirky they're hard to even describe. By the time we started working on the last hole, we had used up all of our good gimmicky ideas and were at a loss for a theme for hole 13.

That's when we decided to go all in by combining a bunch of gimmicks together on the same hole. So we put 4 cedar poles in the ground, hung four car hoods from them for ricochet shots, then built a slide and a grate wall to finish it off. The final structure had six gimmicks to choose from and believing it to be the most gimmicky hole anywhere, we named it the Ultimate Gimmick Hole. For those who think a hole like this is ridiculous, you'll appreciate the acronym of UGH!

Four years later and a couple of those cedar poles had been weakened by wear and weather, so our initial plan was to just replace them. Instead, since we have an abundance of poles courtesy of the local phone company, we decided to replace the cedar sticks with telephone poles. This allowed us to add more gimmicks, bringing the total up to 10. Looking at the photo below, you can see the left side has two car hoods and a ricochet board, the middle has a funnel at the top, a car hood, the grate wall, and a roller ramp, and the right side has a car hood, a slot track, and another ricochet board. Large bells and some bamboo screens were also added to catch errant throws. There's no question now that the Ultimate Gimmick Hole is just that. Also attached is a video showing aces (and near aces) on few of the gimmicks.

Next we plan to paint each of the gimmicks a different color, then add glow in the dark paint around the perimeters so each of the gimmicks can be seen while playing night golf.

Hole 13 - The Ultimate Gimmick Hole (UGH!).jpg

imagejpeg_1001002.jpg

https://youtu.be/VdOqu6t-RWI

I think that you (op) would really like this course. Almost every hole has old carnival ride/etc features on them.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8890

26165794_1245994505500497_9064130140338804914_n.jpg

There's a course near me, I won't mention names, but they've sort've decide to take the route of making "gimmicks" on an already awesome course. Despite being a great course, I don't enjoy seeing my "greens fees" being applied to stuff like that. If you wanna expand and make another back 9, sure. If you wanna upgrade baskets, sure. If you wanna make treacherous unneeded obstacles on an already challenging holes, I'll go play/pay somewhere else.

There's a fine line between gimmicks and art too. Not trying to sound hypocritical, but a "feature" like the Jeep Statue at The Hoot is really cool IMO. Like with everything in life, it needs to be done in moderation and with good taste. And "good taste" is where this becomes subjective.

mOTrAC7.jpg

There's a fine line between gimmicks and art too. Not trying to sound hypocritical, but a "feature" like the Jeep Statue at The Hoot is really cool IMO. Like with everything in life, it needs to be done in moderation and with good taste. And "good taste" is where this becomes subjective.

mOTrAC7.jpg

That is very awesome! I'm gonna have to think about something similar for hole 19.

Flying Armadillo Gold and Shomens, are the only two courses I've ever played where I appreciated the gimmicks.

More gimmicks! That's not something you hear very often. And rightfully so. Gimmicks on a disc golf course can reward players for lucky shots, while you want tournament winners to earn their victories with skill. Personally, I'm not a fan of gimmicks on any regular course, including those raised baskets that I see everywhere.

But on a disc golf putt-putt course, it's a different story. When we built the putt-putt course at the Flying Armadillo we used every gimmick we could find.

Flying Armadillo is a little different from regular courses in it's appeal. It's kinda like if John Waters designed a disc golf course. I mean that as a compliment.

I wouldn't necessarily call Showmen's a gimmick course (although it leans in that direction). It's located on property owned by a carnival museum, so it's cool that they made carnivals the theme on their course too. It's a fun course too be sure, but the folks that run it are no joke and take their disc golf seriously.

I don't think anyone's advocating gimmicking up most courses to where it becomes the norm for disc golf.

But a course like this (with gimmicks galore) is a fun compliment when there's already a solid course on the premises. I say trick it out.

As long as gimmicks are used as a supplement for a good course, rather than a substitute for a good course, I'm more than fine with them.

Flying Armadillo Gold and Shomens, are the only two courses I've ever played where I appreciated the gimmicks.

I had a blast playing Flying Armadillo. Fun course, great vibe, cool art, lots of imagination. And the course is what it is, so if someone dislikes gimmicks they know to stay away.

I had Showmen's on the agenda for our baseball spring training / disc golf vacation this year, but 2020. :(

I had Showmen's on the agenda for our baseball spring training / disc golf vacation this year, but 2020. :(

the vibe and atmosphere at showmen's is outstanding. The eclectic nature of the course really got to me. i think most players will really enjoy the course. although its listed as an 18er, it's only 9 fairways. and for a 9 fairway course, its in my personal top 5 out of +150 courses.

More gimmicks!....But on a disc golf putt-putt course, it's a different story. When we built the putt-putt course at the Flying Armadillo we used every gimmick we could find.

I've heard of this course (for a long time) but have never seen any photos until now. Is the photo indicative of the entire course construction quality or is this just a hole meant to bring on a reaction? :confused:

I've heard of this course (for a long time) but have never seen any photos until now. Is the photo indicative of the entire course construction quality or is this just a hole meant to bring on a reaction? :confused:

I don't want to speak for Mr Lambert, but I will say that from my point of view, the pride, craftsmanship and artistry developed into the flying armadillo property, is phenomenal and first class.

Latest posts