• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DiscGolfPark USA

Nice that there is speculation about different types of fake turf tees. However is is all mute unless you are talking about DGP tees specifically.

I have never had problems teeing off these, whether in rain or shine. Or frost. I hear people just shovel snow off them normally (just try not to be extra violent in doing so,i.e. digging forcibly into the mat) and brush the rest off. Also salt can be used to keep them thawed for the event.

Nice that there is speculation about different types of fake turf tees. However is is all mute unless you are talking about DGP tees specifically.

I have never had problems teeing off these, whether in rain or shine. Or frost. I hear people just shovel snow off them normally (just try not to be extra violent in doing so,i.e. digging forcibly into the mat) and brush the rest off. Also salt can be used to keep them thawed for the event.

I thought this was how you cleared off the compacted ice from days/weeks of people playing off snow covered pads. Lol....no seriously. :|

it may have been mentioned earlier in the thread but... where is the South Carolina course? i couldnt find any info on their website and would love to see what kind of drive i have to make

it may have been mentioned earlier in the thread but... where is the South Carolina course? i couldnt find any info on their website and would love to see what kind of drive i have to make

Langley Pond, Aiken (Augusta)

The turf tees at the Blockhouse are great. The turf tee on Hole 5 at Maple Hill I slipped so hard I almost had to withdraw from the Vibram Open.

I've seen good turf and bad over the years. AS well as good and bad concrete.

I only played the Blockhouse once, and it was years ago (still the Grange then). Assuming the tees are the same, they WERE great. Most of them were compacted gravel, which was super nice, since they'd been maintained so well but obviously needed that maintenance. The turf tees were sublime though.

I've played Jarva too, and I'm guessing that their turf tees are the same as the ones discussed here. They worked fine, some of the wooden frames were looking a little long in the tooth, but I had no issues with the tees. Though, as a disclaimer, it was a hot sunny day so I can't attest to inclement conditions.

Concrete can indeed last a long time (20 yrs is the expected life of sidewalks), but they can also deteriorate, where the top layer of mortar gets worn away and the aggregate is exposed underneath. It's still perfectly sound to walk on, but throwing a disc from it can be downright hazardous. Granted, if the concrete is installed professionally, there's better chance that it'll hold up to the continual wear.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that not all concrete is equal, and not all turf is equal. Both have their pros and cons, but I will say that the grange grass mentioned earlier has been the best teeing surface I've experienced. I think that they were pretty expensive though, and from a bang-for-your-buck standpoint, concrete was more economical.

I thought this was how you cleared off the compacted ice from days/weeks of people playing off snow covered pads. Lol....no seriously. :|

Well its not like its going to lift off with the snow by accident. But if you insist on using a pointed shovel and pound at it, its not going to be concrete. Got the answer you were looking for? Good.

Well its not like its going to lift off with the snow by accident. But if you insist on using a pointed shovel and pound at it, its not going to be concrete. Got the answer you were looking for? Good.

There is no reason to try to defend these tees. I play off of them and love them, though the course I play is closed during the winter. I my neck of the woods, tee pad clearing is a pretty big chore. Often, many players have mistakenly used the pads, compacting the snow and often turning it to ice. To clear them, pounding, scraping, shoveling and icing is sometimes needed. Perhaps these tees do not have the same dynamic with snow, perhaps the ice or snow is easier to break apart and remove, due to the give they would have compared to concrete.
Despite your percieved sarcasm, I did not really get much out of your post to answer these questions.

Concrete vs Turf talk: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7959

I'm still interested building of the design network. Anyone from DGP care to weigh in on my questions?

One thing I would be interested in is does the DGP plan on increasing its network of course designers? So, when they get a quote request through the website will they filter these leads through a local designer and/or club? Is there a qualification process for joining this network? Seems to be the most cost effective way to handle the design aspect.

I'm just curious what's the total average cost of installing one of these courses from start to finish. I'm guessing after labor and materials it has to be well over $50k. The turf for the pads must cost at least $10k from what I looked into a while back. I just hope this doesn't scare certain municipalities who don't have a large budget from installing a course. Most courses locally cost roughly around $10k to install with volunteers. That's without tee pads but they can always be put in down the road. I just hope this organization offers options to certain things such as different tees and so forth. Concrete is cheap and lasts forever with lil to no maintenance. The turf pads only have a 3 year warranty which based on how heavily used the course is, it could be a significantly less.

Concrete is cheap... Unless you're a mile back in the woods. Then it's not easy or cheap.

Fair enough, I was in a bad mood I guess and though you were trying to get me on record saying its not as durable as concrete, which we all know of course.

To be honest I dont play that much snow golf so what do I know. In any case it would have to be an active club to do the work. Many clubs lack volunteers in the summer much moreso in the winter. I was mostly thinking about ice bowls or other tourneys. I think like you said many people just opt to throw from the snowed in pad. But of course it can be done if the club wishes to take the effort.

Speculation, esp now with climate change making snow ever more rare here in southern Finland. Northern Finland guys chime in pls?

One recent DGP here in Finland cost 1000 euros per hole. I believe that included almost everything: design, teepads, baskets. I don't know if there was any terrain work, felling trees etc, but they likely weren't included.

People here seem sceptic about turf pads, but honestly I don't understand why anyone would prefer concrete over proper turf. It's just so much better.

There was one pic of a turf pad in the US in this thread. It seemed awfully small. Usually pads in Finland are built nowadays something like 6' x 9'.

One recent DGP here in Finland cost 1000 euros per hole. I believe that included almost everything: design, teepads, baskets. I don't know if there was any terrain work, felling trees etc, but they likely weren't included.

People here seem sceptic about turf pads, but honestly I don't understand why anyone would prefer concrete over proper turf. It's just so much better.

There was one pic of a turf pad in the US in this thread. It seemed awfully small. Usually pads in Finland are built nowadays something like 6' x 9'.

DiscGolfPark's "Pro" sized TeePad's are 6.5' X 13.5'

Lots of experience with concrete, and some experience with improper turf.

The first thing that came to my mind was some not-so-great "astroturf" tees I've played, and the DGP website doesn't give a lot of detail about their tees. From reading this thread, it's apparent that their turf is something better.

They are installing one of these courses in Baton Rouge La. as we speak...They started on Friday and should be through tomorrow. My understanding the entire course cost about 30k (I could be off i was not part of the planing) with volunteer labor to install. The park is not in a good area of town by any means. This park will test the theory of "disc golfers run the bad element out of parks" to the max.

We should also add that not all climates are created equal.

Also true, though I'd wager if they're good enough for the climate of Finland, they'd be good just about anywhere.

I've been a fan of concrete tees in general for years, but I just got to play a round for the first time in weeks yesterday in a break between rain storms. The tees used to be in fine condition, but I found out the hard way that they're getting down to the aggregate now and slick as snot in the wet. A few shanked drives and a pulled groin later, and I'm more curious about turf alternatives.