• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

i've been really screwed up on my mids and putters, which used to be my best throws. Only used a boss for long shots, and rocs and aviars for everything else short of 400'....but in the last few weeks i've lost all form on my aviars and rocs. My next few rounds are starting with aviar only rounds, and then aviar roc rounds until i get those sorted out....it's been a while since i've done that.

discing down

I read this thread yesterday and immediately went out and re-arranged my bag. I must say that this was something that i had thought about before, but i couldnt wrap my brain around it. i mean, these high speed disc have to give you the distance you want right? wrong!!! I threw my mids and fairways about 10ft shorter than my high speed disc. The fact is this; i didnt have the arm for the high speed disc, and my throws were everywhere. I went out yesterday and threw my mids and slower drivers and i was extremely more accurate. i played in in the worlds tournament in NC this past summer and being from Texas, i really wasn't expecting the fairways i saw. I couldn't hit a line and i may have thrown at an open shot 5 times out of the whole week. I came back and knew my game had to take a drastic turn if i wanted to get to the next level and this thread is just what i needed. in one day, i have seen drastic improvement. on a course i usually average about 7 over par, i threw nothing but mids and threw a 7 over par with three of the baskets placed in the loooooooong tees. Thanks for the advice guys.

I've officially dumped the fast discs in the closet. I had my first mid and putter round today. At least it was a course that I never use anything but those on. My bag looks like this for the time being:

Putters:
Wizard SS 175g
Wizard SSS 175g

Mids:
Stingray DX 171g
Buzzz ESP 171g
Buzzz Z 177g x 2
Hornet Z 177g

Fairways:
Viper DX 165g
Teebird Star 175g
Teebird Champ 171g
Leopard DX 170g Just picked up to try out
XL ESP FLX 175g

Taking on suggestions as well if anyone sees any holes in the bag.

That was a year ago. I have worked drivers into my bag now. It looks like this:
Drivers
Star Wraith 170g (distance)
Star Wraith 170g (over stable for some reason so it my headwind driver)
Champ Firebird 175g (utility disc)
Star Roadrunner 170g (utility disc)

Fairway
EStar Teebird 170g
Champ Teebird 171g
Pro Leopard 170g

Mids
KC Roc 175g (beat)
KC Roc 175g (new)
Dx Stingray 175

Putters
Wizard 175g
Wizard 175g

After adding drivers into my bag I used the same steps to learn what I can make these new discs do. I continue to use my fairways and mids off the tee. Fairways I can consistently hit 340-360 with on a golf line so the Wraiths only come out on the longer holes where placement shots off the tee aren't needed.

I'm sick of my inconsistent distance and accuracy, so I've decided that this winter will be my disced down season. I think my bag is gonna look like this:

174g VP (my putting putter, my big bag has 2x firm and 1x medium, I prefer firms but probably will use the medium in the cold)
171g Ridge (Soft, Upshots)
172g Sole (Medium, driving putter)
178g Obex (Medium, Overstable, gonna be my only option for headwinds)
169g Ibex (medium) and 165g Ibex (soft) (This will be the workhorse off the tee for me)

I really want to work on my form and consistency this winter and I've been curious about discing down for a while... Really curious to see how this little experiment works out.

I'm sick of my inconsistent distance and accuracy, so I've decided that this winter will be my disced down season. I think my bag is gonna look like this:

174g VP (my putting putter, my big bag has 2x firm and 1x medium, I prefer firms but probably will use the medium in the cold)
171g Ridge (Soft, Upshots)
172g Sole (Medium, driving putter)
178g Obex (Medium, Overstable, gonna be my only option for headwinds)
169g Ibex (medium) and 165g Ibex (soft) (This will be the workhorse off the tee for me)

I really want to work on my form and consistency this winter and I've been curious about discing down for a while... Really curious to see how this little experiment works out.

Good! Even though I am no longer on a strict putter and mid diet, I just find myself grabbing putters and mids way more than my "drivers"(I carry a speed 9 as my distance driver).

Stick with it man, it can be frustrating at first, but it's totally worth it.

Also, I like the look of that disced down bag.

I went out for my first disced down round this morning, in the cold and some rain. Took the six discs I said I would with me and... Had a freaking blast. I dont know if it was because I was expecting to shoot poorly (feeling like I had a built in excuse) but it was the first time in a long while that I showed up at the course not really giving a darn how I shot.

And I was also surprised that I really didn't feel all that "underpowered." Sure, there were a few holes where I missed having a driver, but a par was always just two smooth, straight shots down the fairway and a putt away. Most of my mistakes (other than missing a few easy putts) came when I got intimidated by a long hole, tried to do to much with a mid, and torqued the living daylights out of the disc. And I also realized that in a stiff headwind I'm in trouble with this bag, but the Obex with some hyzer had a chance of cutting through.

I shot a 60, which surprised as I usually shoot (and am happy with) from 50-60 at this course. It is a little odd having to get the mids, and especially putters, higher and starting them with more hyzer to achieve the lines I wanted, but I got used to it fast. All in all, it was a fun day at the course, an interesting look at my game, and, I think, a good start to my disced down experiment.

Got more rounds in this week, really enjoying discing down. I won't bore you all with another rundown, at least not yet. But I was wondering if it would be ok to add a 165g Trak to my disced down bag. I would still tee off with my Ibex or a putter on 90% or more of holes I played, but I don't want to develop nose angle issues, so I'd like to keep a fairway in the bag and it'd be nice to have for 375'+ holes. Thoughts?

I played a round yesterday with just a Buzzz and a Shark - it certainly does force you to concentrate on clean form.

I can't seem to edit my above post for some reason, so sorry for another post. I think that instead of adding a Trak to the bag I'm going to add my 169g medium Ascent. It still has some turn to it, but it gives me an option for headwinds. I made the decision after going out and playing in 20+ mph winds today (it was 70 degrees but a flat course next to cornfields in Central Illinois equals some ridiculous wind situations). There's only four holes between my two home courses where I plan on teeing off with a fairway driver anyways, but I figure having a headwind option would be a good idea for the fairway slot.

So I think the set up I'm going to use for the rest of the winter will be (assuming the NutSac I just ordered will fit this... I'm really committing to this :p )

169g Ascent
169g Ibex
178g Obex
172g Sole
174g VP

Any comments, critiques, or suggestions for this bag?

I can't seem to edit my above post for some reason, so sorry for another post. I think that instead of adding a Trak to the bag I'm going to add my 169g medium Ascent. It still has some turn to it, but it gives me an option for headwinds. I made the decision after going out and playing in 20+ mph winds today (it was 70 degrees but a flat course next to cornfields in Central Illinois equals some ridiculous wind situations). There's only four holes between my two home courses where I plan on teeing off with a fairway driver anyways, but I figure having a headwind option would be a good idea for the fairway slot.

So I think the set up I'm going to use for the rest of the winter will be (assuming the NutSac I just ordered will fit this... I'm really committing to this :p )

169g Ascent
169g Ibex
178g Obex
172g Sole
174g VP

Any comments, critiques, or suggestions for this bag?

All I can say is don't let the Ascent become a crutch. While the Ascent is still a low speed driver, it will hide form flaws more than your putters and mids. I found that while I was disced down, if I had a driver in my bag the temptation became too great to throw it.. that or I found excuses to throw it. It's tough not to when all of your friends are crushing their destroyers and the like on holes that you are barely breaking into with your mids... but after a while you'll start matching them if you stick with it.

While nose down issues with drivers can be a worrisome thing, I'd almost just recommend leaving it out entirely for a little while longer, and then IF any nose up issues occur with drivers, you can quickly work it out...

I dunno just sayin... The Obex should do well in the wind, no?

This is an awesome thread....zombie thread live again!

I hit approx 300 ft this weekend with my putter for the first time. I'm seeing improvements now that I'm focusing on a straight line pullback. Do you guys feel I'd rob myself of progress if I used a putter and a mid, or should I only use putter? Pretty windy lately so an over stable vector or even a shark would be better than fighting the wind with my MVP anode....

Lastly, what would you feel is an excellent goal to reach before moving to mids, then distance drivers? Max distance for me is 300ft
Thoughts?

This is an awesome thread....zombie thread live again!

I hit approx 300 ft this weekend with my putter for the first time. I'm seeing improvements now that I'm focusing on a straight line pullback. Do you guys feel I'd rob myself of progress if I used a putter and a mid, or should I only use putter? Pretty windy lately so an over stable vector or even a shark would be better than fighting the wind with my MVP anode....

Lastly, what would you feel is an excellent goal to reach before moving to mids, then distance drivers? Max distance for me is 300ft
Thoughts?

I'd say you should be throwing mids and drivers now. If you're hitting 300' with your putter, you've been ready for mids and drivers for a while now.

The reason why it's important to throw drivers is that putters are much easier to throw in some ways. Yes, you have to have clean form. But you don't have to have the ability to throw the disc nose down enough or even, I'd say, hard enough, to translate that directly into drivers and get good distance.

Get some drivers and work on throwing with the nose down. You might find you can't get them much farther than your mids and putters, like I did when I focused on putters then Comets to develop my form. Hopefully you don't have this problem, but it's something to be aware of. You're more than ready for drivers.

Discing down is great to learn clean form. It's great to help you understand disc selection. But you don't want to sacrifice your game for the virtue of discing down. I was surprised to find that 1000 rated pros throw drivers on holes where I threw a mid or even a putter, but they parked the hole consistently while I didn't. Just because you can throw your putter doesn't mean you always should.

Firebird
Stalker
Roadrunner
Champ Teebird (new 175)
Star Teebird (beat 167)
Glide
Hornet
Buzzz x3 (os, straight, us)
Zone
Wizard x3 (2ss for putting 1 g9i for throwing)

I know 9 is a lil high for the concept of this idea but the course i play can get very windy and the little bit of faster. discs almost seem very necessary some holes where id find my self throwing a teebird or glide i have to disc up. also tons of elevation change at kincaid park alaska. Any feedback would be great. I've been thinkin about discin down for awhile. i throw archons and katanas a lot. also removingg my trusty orcs i throw often. my friends think I'm dumb for even considering this but I've thrown my birds right next to my higher speed stuff and don't lose much d but not gaining any consistency with higher speed discs either. hard to commit to this concept tho. also i found a boss I'm trading a friend a disc for I'm thinkin of grabbin one of his champ valks to go between the rr and fb and ditch the large diameter stalker. Open to suggestion

Last edited:
I just started playing disc golf, but have found a lot of the advice in this thread really helpful when it comes to my game. Over the last two weeks I went from throwing a Wahoo for about 280' RHFH in the first round I ever played to pulling out a KC Pro Roc on the same 311' hole and over throwing the basket by 10-15'. The problem I'm having right now though is consistency and the types of throws that I have in the bag. I can throw the Roc on a hyzer or straight line 300'+, but the consistently of release and accuracy isn't quite there yet. I was thinking about doing field work with the Roc and throwing a few Leopards in there to work on distance as well as control. Do you guys think this is a good idea? Should I just stay with the Eoc as my fastest disc until I get more consistent?

It's a great idea!

Ok, so now that I know the next step will be tossing Leopards it becomes a matter of what comes after that. I can consistently throw my Roc 300' on a golf line, with bursts of up to 350'. Should I move to Teebirds when the Leopards are going 400' to 450'? Something faster? I know this is the disc down thread, but at some point you need to put the drivers back in the bag, right.

If you start getting a leopard 450, you need to learn how to putt and go pro. That's a bomb.

I had my first disc down adventure today with nothing over a 9. Valk fb rr tbx2 zombee glide hornet buzzx3 zone wizx3 i was pleased with the results overall. was previously throwing archons and katanas. got my roadrunner and teebirds in the same spots as my faster stuff. i shall continue my trek for improvement! We played the long tees too which i normally shoot in the 70s but got me a 67 par 60. very difficult as well.