• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Discing down from the Wraith

I understand your advice (both of you) and for this case (and in 95% of other cases) your advice is correct, however I just don't like the blanket statement that you have to throw xxx distance to throw a particular disc.

and if this guy wants help with his form my best advice is always "listen to garublador" :)

I think I am guilty of telling people they shouldnt be throwing X disc because they only throw X far even when they may not be asking for advice to improve.

End of the day, it is just my opinion.

At your power the star TL in the 170s would get you get you close to if not the same distance as your wraith. It would teach you better form and you would be more accurate too.

As I have learned a bit as well...you can throw a Wraith 300ft, but you'll probably only get one line out of it, either a big hyzer or toss it on an anny for an S-type shot. You really aren't controlling the disc or even learning much about control.

The funny thing about discing down is that once I did it and really started to get it, I now have to ask whether I should bother discing up. Every improvement I make in form has been getting me another 10-15ft of distance out of my slow discs.

I put a DX Teebird back in the bag this past weekend, for a specific course that had long, narrow, straight fairways (500+ ft) where accuracy was important. WOW! Now I gotta wonder if I need SOLFs or Avengers anymore...

It's fun to re-discover old slow discs...

I was one of those noobs that when I started 6mo. ago bought a Wraith expecting it to add 50ft+ to my 225-250 drives automatically. When I first started throwing it only went about 200ft. If that. Would go high at a hyzer angle and then usually fall like a rock.

Sold the Wraith, Bought a Leopard played that for 3mo. I max it out at around 275. So randomly one day I find a Pro Wraith unmarked. And now that I'm experienced, and my form has improved I find that the previous poster is totally right, it's a not a versatile disk and you will probably only get one line out of it. For me, a LHBH thrower, when I connect with this thing it will "S" out with 350+ potential.

Overall a good disc, Just not what people think it is.

I like the Xpress. I bought a used surge esp off of some guy at my course and its awesome too. Im making my way to discraft all the way. im convinced they have more consistent molds. not only that but they are just better. and a lot more durable. IF ANYONE WANTS TO SELL ME A BUZZZ OR A FOCUS I WILL BUY THEM. I own 4 drivers from discraft. Z Avenger SS,Esp Surge, Z Xpress, My day old Nuke. I dont have any of their mid ranges or putters but i have tried them and Im convinced that im ready to switch over. I will always keep my dx wraith just because its a little less stable now that it has hit 1000 trees. ha. if your having trouble with a wraith just run it over a few time. you will like it then im sure. but in the mean time, go pick up some discraft