• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] discmania FD- jackal ...its coming

Borrowed from maskedavenger in the Discmania thread...

1st Run
Least stable of the three. Substantially glidey thanks to somewhat large dome. Also the slowest of the three, offering very midrange-like controllability. Most sensitive to power, but thanks to great glide can be a very long disc. Popular among people as the next step from D/S-FD and also pretty comparable to Champion Leopard, only a touch more stable and a bit more glidey.

2nd Run
Most stable of the three. Handles power the best of the three. Has a great forward-penetrating glide. Provides very straight lines for players that can reach 80m and up with it. Works as a more stable than truly straight driver for those who throw under 80m. Flattest of the three. Features extremely durable plastic material that has been lightened by adding blizzard bubbles. Could be described as a straighter and a touch longer TeeBird.

3rd Run (Jolly Launcher)
Stability sits between the 1st and the 2nd, but leans a touch more towards the 2nd. Dome-wise sits also between 1st & 2nd. Plastic is grippier and in many cases pretty clear. Also comparable to TeeBird, but this time with maybe a touch more turn and a more neutral finish. Very nice, effortless glide. This has lately been the popular pick.

This breakdown has been written by a player that reaches 100-110m with fairway drivers as range may affect the perception of flight characteristics. Based on field testing and reviews from forums etc.

Idk if it has been mentioned before but i read that the 2nd run fds were intended to be more os. Im guessing thats how yhe fd2 came about and why its so similar to the 2nd runs

Wow. I'm impressed. I got some field throws in with the 3rd run C-line and the S-line FD today. These things are sneaky long and straight. A little turn, very little fade and lots of glide. In calm conditions that S-line just bombed. The C-line had a tick more fade at the end, but was quite similarly. While I didn't get a lot of turn when thrown flat, if I put that C-line on a mild anhyzer it rode a big gentle sweeping turn only straightening out slightly at the very end. Very sweet discs.

2qjzpk6.jpg

Love my FD. Bottom line the FD is what a fairway driver is suppose to be.

Wow. I'm impressed. I got some field throws in with the 3rd run C-line and the S-line FD today. These things are sneaky long and straight. A little turn, very little fade and lots of glide. In calm conditions that S-line just bombed. The C-line had a tick more fade at the end, but was quite similarly. While I didn't get a lot of turn when thrown flat, if I put that C-line on a mild anhyzer it rode a big gentle sweeping turn only straightening out slightly at the very end. Very sweet discs.

Welcome to the party. Just don't do what I did and take the FD out of your bag three or four times before really sticking with it. I probably set my game a long ways back by doing that. Learn it, love it.

What that guy said :D

I'm using smaller bag for the summer, and the Jackal will be taking a prominent role. The best part is I won't be missing any shots from any of the discs that I pulled out since this disc is so versatile.

Long live the FD

Maybe it's just a slightly goofy angle but nope, I have two with the exact line and both are beefy.

edit: oops, didn't read the orange.

Last edited:
I just say that because rarintal mentioned it on the DM thread, and all of my c-fd2s are orange and are easily more hss than my 2nd run c-fds.

Here's what I notice about the 2nd run C-Lines versus other runs: It feels (and looks a little bit) like the rim is a bit more concave as opposed to flat. I'm wondering if it truly was another mold that was used.

I just say that because rarintal mentioned it on the DM thread, and all of my c-fd2s are orange and are easily more hss than my 2nd run c-fds.

lol, I glanced at this and somehow originally interpreted that as 2nd Run C-FDs :doh:. Yeah this blue is the only FD2 I have and it's definitely not as HSS as my 2nd Run C-FD but maybe has just a touch more dump at the end. I hope they start coming out with consistently higher PLHs.

First run C lines are available in the Discmania store today if anyone is looking to try one.

That would be pretty legit...I get the whole first run stamp thing, but wish they'd do something to make them a bit more visually appealing.

Or at least different. All those speed 10 first runs will be difficult to tell apart if they release them like that as well.

I just picked up some fd jackals in the dx type plastic from the factory store......on first impression, probably not going to make the bag. I picked up an ultra light 140 for the wife, a150 and a 166. (300ish fairway power here, and a little oat issues)150 was too easy to turn over for me, and never tried to flex out at all.... So I didn't get to see any of the glide. I finally backed off a bit and got a nice turn with some glide and a bit of flex at the end of flight, but had to give it some height to do work for right around 270ft. I hit the field tonight with the 166 and was able to put a little more into it before the turn and burn, but not much more before it took a sharp right handler and lost distance. Around 300 ft. I know I tend to wrist roll a little bit, more so when trying to reach out to my max, butThe fd feels a little touchy to me. The 70% percent throws were easy and controlled 270 for me but in love with my cheetah for that slot right now. The cheetah will usually flex out of a turn or unintentional anny for me. I do plan on spending more time with the Fd as I feel it will force me to clean up my throws a little more in order to get a good and consistent flight out of it.