• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] discmania FD- jackal ...its coming

Well now that I've spent a fair amount of time with the mold, I'd like to share my experience with it. (thrown since the first release of the Sline variation)

S-line Jackal is a great workhorse fairway driver. I throw them max weight (I find lighter SFDs are a bit touchy) With just a touch of hyzer and in likes to flip up and lock into a straight rope with a light fade at the end. Thrown into a mild headwind and it will track right slightly before a mild fade. I've heard them compared to a seasoned teebird, to which I agree.

C-line
2nd run Holy Crap! is it a baby firebird? A banshee cousin? Some sought after oop teebird?! I LOVE the 2nd run FD albeit it's really hard to consider it the same disc. Very useful, extremely Stable in comparison. Great compliment to the Sline FD. Board flat and very comfortable. Even in light weights (I have two 167's and two max weight) they are very resistant to HST, and have a bitey fresh teebird/banshee/firebird fade.

Between these two plastic and mold variation I have all fairway slots covered.
Beat Sline 175
Fresh Sline 175
Light Cline 167
Heavy Cline 175

I have yet to fine any jolly launcher or 3rd run FD's around my neck of the woods.

Yep, Jussi said it will be overstable and he liked the 2nd runs, so why not make a similar disc as a production? :) Could also be a DM Firebird..

Im hoping the fd2 takes over the meathook xxx in my bag. And that it's not like the 2nd run fds

Yep, Jussi said it will be overstable and he liked the 2nd runs, so why not make a similar disc as a production? :) Could also be a DM Firebird..

ah, got it. didn't catch that part in that thread for some reason. didn't read closely enough.

Im hoping the fd2 takes over the meathook xxx in my bag. And that it's not like the 2nd run fds

second this thought. I love the 2nd run so much, that i dunno how heart broken i'd be if they created a specific disc to replicate it... but, on the other hand... i did stock up HEAVILY on 2nd runs...

ah, got it. didn't catch that part in that thread for some reason. didn't read closely enough.

second this thought. I love the 2nd run so much, that i dunno how heart broken i'd be if they created a specific disc to replicate it... but, on the other hand... i did stock up HEAVILY on 2nd runs...

I stocked up, too. Think I have 18 new and 8 used.

C-line
2nd run Holy Crap! is it a baby firebird? A banshee cousin? Some sought after oop teebird?! I LOVE the 2nd run FD albeit it's really hard to consider it the same disc. Very useful, extremely Stable in comparison. Great compliment to the Sline FD. Board flat and very comfortable. Even in light weights (I have two 167's and two max weight) they are very resistant to HST, and have a bitey fresh teebird/banshee/firebird fade.

In terms of feel in hand, and the flatness, I felt like the 2nd run did hold a pretty close feel to a 11x kc pro tb I got close and personal with the other weekend. With the exception of how stiff the FD is compared to the 11x, i thought they felt pretty comparable and had similar flight patterns for me too. But, I had a pretty short time messing with the 11x, so i could be talking out of my ass for all i know.

I stocked up, too. Think I have 18 new and 8 used.

I am glad to know i'm not the only one... I think I try to add at least 2 a month...

Damn... I've only got six second run and two first run.

Still battling between FD (eg, S-line and any other future runs that fly like the mold is "supposed" to) and Leopards. Leos are a little slower, but a little more forgiving and easily available in every plastic.

Us second run hoarders need a support group. I've got a fifth in the mail right now, which compared to some isn't that many but I'm sure that number will grow.

I kind of prefer the less forgiveness part of the FD's over comparable molds because it keeps me from ripping into them too much, and makes me slow down and really focus when I'm going to use them. If I want to lay into something I'll toss a beat up PPD if it needs to stay straight. I'm not saying it's the best or greatest way to use them, but I try to treat them like a 5 wood in ball golf. If I need that extra control I know I can count on them.

Damn... I've only got six second run and two first run.

Still battling between FD (eg, S-line and any other future runs that fly like the mold is "supposed" to) and Leopards. Leos are a little slower, but a little more forgiving and easily available in every plastic.

Is the FD really US enough to be comparable to a Leo? I always imagined it closer to a TL.

I have a flatter S line, and it will drift right on a full throw, and hold an anny all the way to the ground. One of my older beat up S lines is pretty close to that as well.

New ones might be more like a star leopard

C-line, no. But I think he was referring to the s-line, which I think isn't completely off.

I have a flatter S line, and it will drift right on a full throw, and hold an anny all the way to the ground. One of my older beat up S lines is pretty close to that as well.

New ones might be more like a star leopard

Id compare a brand new S-line FD to a Champ Leo

Imagine a normal domed S-line type mold in P-Line plastic after a few months' wear... Most definitely.

Cool beans, learn something new everyday. Anyone thrown an FD and Patriot side by side?

Us second run hoarders need a support group. I've got a fifth in the mail right now, which compared to some isn't that many but I'm sure that number will grow.

dude... seriously... i've developed a habit of calling up any online retailer that stocks CFDs to see if they have 2nd runs... if they do... game over

today, that retailer was gottagogottathrow.com, and their whole stock is 2nd runs.... time to sell some discs i don't throw... :D

Anyone thrown an FD and Patriot side by side?
Yep. Both Pinnacle and Icon Patriots. Icon Patriot was similar to the S-FD with less HSS and more LSS and less glide. Just more wiggle overall. Pinnacle Patriot was similar to the C-FD with more LSS and again, less glide. The Patriot seemed like a true fairway driver in the more traditional aspect, where the FD seems more like a tweener fairway/longer distance driver. Both controllable, but can get more distance on more consistent lines with the FD when powered up.

I didn't stick with the Patriot for too long because neither mold ever flew like I expected them to. Probably was the fact that I was comparing them to my FD's and River's (which I threw for a fair amount of time before picking up the FD). I ditched the River for the huge amounts of glide they had in favor of the more controllable glide of the FD, which is still huge, but a lot more controlled to me. The FD is also more forgiving when you torque it (especially the flat C- lines) compared to both the River and Patriot.

What's so special about the 2nd run FDs vs regular runs? I'm intrigued because I'm a total whore for shield stamp S-PDs.
It's the second run C-FD's. They're much more HSS and LSS than the S-line FD's. Very comparable to a teebird. Really a completely different disc.