• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] discmania FD- jackal ...its coming

A few questions here. There is a nice list out there of the stability of the PD runs, has anyone collected that data on the FD runs outside of just saying the second run is the most stable? In a sort of related question, can anyone compare a glow c-line FD with a second run FD?
Updated. :thmbup:
Lots of stability talk and questions so I'll take a shot at personal ratings for all of the FD's I've thrown, starting from over to understable:

2nd run C-Line [OOP] (pretty much no high speed turn; strong forward fade; I'd rate it 0 HSS, 2 LSS - *DISCLAIMER - if you're not already invested in these, don't try to be unless you like chasing expensive unicorns. Find something else to throw instead.)
3rd/4th run C-Line [OOP] (some high speed turn; good forward fade; very reliable; -.75 HSS, 1.5 LSS)
Swirl/Champystar S-Line (most (over)stable S-Line, flies close to the given numbers with the slightest bit more fade; similar to 1st run C-Lines but with more glide; -1 HSS, 1.25 HSS)
1st run C-Line [OOP] (very close to the actual flight ratings with a little more fade; -1 HSS, 1.25 LSS)
S-Line (starts out closer to a 3rd run FD, but will beat into a very straight shooter. holds its flight #'s after it's been beaten in a little imo; highly recommended as a starter disc and as a true control fairway, tons of glide; -1 HSS, 1 LSS)
5th run C-Line (closest to the flight numbers C-Line variant yet; straight line bombers; -1 HSS, 1 LSS)
Glow C-Line (I've not thrown these but it's widely reported and confirmed by the DM Store that these are more understable than the standard C-Line, more like an S-Line; no input on flight numbers)
P-Line (starts out like an S-Line but quickly beats in to a controllable hyzer flip disc; very similar to G-Line flight; -1.25 HSS, 1 LSS)
G-Line (predictable high speed turn; less low speed fade; definitely more understable for bigger arms; -1.25 HSS, 1 LSS)
Lady Line [OOP] (definitely understable; -1.5 HSS, .5 LSS)
D-Line (flip city!! understable out of the box; great beginner & roller disc; -2 HSS, .5 LSS)
Update to the update.

And Glow FD's don't compare to 2nd run FD's. Nothing really compares to the 2nd runs which is what makes them so sought after (maaaybe Teebirds as an indirect replacement) .

I didn't like this disc. Sure, it's pretty straight, but it doesn't have much distance or glide. I might as well throw a Buzzz, which has more control and almost as much distance. I bought this disc because I like and carry both a PD and TD, but this one just didn't do it for me. I think mine was a 2nd run C-line. Haven't tried another one since.

My Swirly S-Line Huk Lab X-Out is a strange beast... The C-Lines I've tried have a nice gentle turn, but come back to flat easily and seem to have a little less glide than the numbers suggest. However, the swirly S-Line I've been bagging for a little over a month now doesn't show much of any turn - even when thrown hard. It will hold an anhyzer well, but when thrown flat and hard, keeps dead straight and fades fairly hard. I am really liking the disc, don't get me wrong, but it's not at all what I was expecting.

I would expect S-Line to have more HST and more glide than C-Line. While the glide is noticeably longer, the HST is actually lesser. Makes for a great straight tunnel shot disc and will stay in the bag for the time being, but I was definitely surprised at it's flight characteristics. Over a month of heavy use in the woods, it's lost a slight bit of fade, but I'm still using other discs for the understable slot.

I didn't like this disc. Sure, it's pretty straight, but it doesn't have much distance or glide. I might as well throw a Buzzz, which has more control and almost as much distance. I bought this disc because I like and carry both a PD and TD, but this one just didn't do it for me. I think mine was a 2nd run C-line. Haven't tried another one since.

this is like never throwing teebirds, finally getting to try one out, only is a *Brinster Teebird.

*Brinster Teebirds are very overstable and have less glide compared to other normal production run Teebirds. I noticed how 2nd Run C-FD (especially max weight) are very similar to Brinster Teebirds.

you should try out a 5th run, current stock, C-FD. they're like a champ leopard and champ teebird combined but have more glide. its funny you you mentioned a buzzz, because I like to think that 5th run C-FD are like the Buzzz, and normal champ teebirds are like Rancho Rocs = and you have buzzz and roc guys. where buzzz guys like the buzzz because its a disc where you put it on a line and it'll do it, but the roc guys love how roc is a little more OS so you can rely on the overstability when throwing lines).

Got another Factory Second C-Line FD. Like the first one, it "drifts" a bit to the right (RHBH throw), but doesn't really turn over unless I throw it on an anhyzer angle. As usual with the FD, it is sneaky long and has good glide. I'd even suggest it should be a speed "8" instead of the advertised "7" (yes, I know, numbers are relative). So if someone wants to try one and is already ordering from the Proshop, add an F2 FD to your order...

I think mine was a 2nd run C-line. Haven't tried another one since.
This was fairly prevalent back when they first started releasing the 2nd runs. People immediately were turned off to the mold because they flew nothing like the flight numbers indicated. If you go back to earlier on in this thread, you can read people's reactions and confusion when they were expecting the 2nd runs to fly like first run C- or S-Lines.

Even better were the peoples that didn't know any better (like a buddy of mine), and only knew the FD flew like the 2nd run. Total confusion set in when they actually picked up a FD that flew like it was supposed to. :D

Jussi has always said that the 2nd run FD was an experimental run. I suspect that the blend of plastic that they used for that run was especially dense, which is possibly why there are bubbles in the rim, why the disc molded up noticeably more flat, and why they're seemingly indestructible. I've had the same 2nd run in my bag for years now and it's lost maybe half a tick of both high and low speed stability.

skurf, send that 2nd run to me... ;)

skurf, send that 2nd run to me... ;)

Too late. Had 2 and gave them to a friend. I'm guessing they probably could have been worth something in a trade. Oh well. It's funny, when I don't like a disc I kind-of have the mentality that the disc sucks and it's not worth much to anyone so I end up giving it away.

Why is it so hard to find P or S FDs in the 160s? Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

I'm looking to test out an FD for the first time. Which plastic is the best one to try first?

Why is it so hard to find P or S FDs in the 160s? Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

I'm looking to test out an FD for the first time. Which plastic is the best one to try first?

S or C line are fantastic. S line for slightly less stable or C line for a little more stability (or the swirl s)

Whatever your favorite plastic is. For those who may not know, S-Line is Star, C-Line is Champion, G-Line is GStar, X-Line is XT, etc.

I got my Factory Second FDs from the Proshop in C-Line, and I've been very happy with that choice.

I think I'll start with an S or G to see how it seasons.

Where can I find one in the 166-168 weight? I've looked at five different places and the lightest I saw was 170

Where can I find one in the 166-168 weight? I've looked at five different places and the lightest I saw was 170

Odd. I have a 165 SFD and a 168 GFD. My CFD is 172. The CFD definitely has fade to it.

One of my favorite molds.

G-line's are way easier to find in upper 160's. I throw lower 170 S-line's and P-line's and both are amazing discs.

Anyone bagging the new swirl FD? Wondering if they are any more stable than the standard production S-lines? I currently bag a max weight C-line that flies nice and straight with zero turn at speed, and always has a soft forward fade at the end of it's flight. I pair that FD with a max weight seasoned G-line FD, that is very understable that I use for hyzer flip turnovers and or rollers. Would be nice if the Swirly S-lines fall in between those two stability wise.

I got a couple "Cookies" swirl S FDs last week and just walked in the door from playing a round with one.
I've never tossed a SFD before (all C previous), but I'd call it pretty much right on -1/1 myself, if maybe a touch more stable than 1.