• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania (FD) Jackal

Jantho said:
I'm looking for Jaguars. I don't care about weight as long as it's over 175 grams and I certainly don't care about color. I would prefer the quality to be of a level on par with nothing more than a few abrasions or nicks. I'm not interested in broken, cracked or notched disks I will pay well for whatever is available as I use these as rollers and can't seem to find any other disc that performs or works as well for me. I would also appreciate any word-of-mouth dispersion of my need for these. I am not a collector! I AM a disc golfer in need of an old friend and as many of them as I can find!
Fair enough, but why ask for them in a Jackal thread?

Anyhoo, I've been loving my S-FDs more than I ever imagined possible. They've been a perfect filler between my mids and control drivers, and they've diversified my game quite a bit. Just wish there was a variation that had the HSS of the C-Lines and less LSS than the S-Lines... Though that's basically another disc entirely. Hopefully the eventual FD2 will be something like that.

Whoops, posted in the wrong thread:
jubuttib said:
Just got some 2nd run C-FDs, based on their description they seem to be Jolly Launcher plastic (quite stiff) with a bit of bubble action going on in the rim. They feel good, but I have to say I was really surprised by the PLH difference when compared to my 1st run C-FD. That one is clearly more stable than my S-Lines, it does have some turn but not a whole lot. But it pales in comparison:

9515969909_a322ec7124_c.jpg

The one on the left is the 2nd Run. Don't know what to expect from these, haven't thrown them yet, but they're likely going to be quite stable/overstable. If the fade isn't too harsh I might be able to replace the TeeBirds I've been lugging around with these...
Eagerly awaiting to see how these fly, perhaps they're the answer to my wishes in my previous post? =)

Based on what Joz said in the FD thread, the 2nd runs start out almost Banshee overstable but develop a turn later, still maintaining fade. So I don't think they'd really fit that description. If it was me, I'd look for the highest PLH Champ/Star Teebirds I could find, I've had some that had a very significant fade.

Considering the mini firebird or banshee type flight of the second run c fd i have and the toughness of the plastic i hope it will not change to flipping that fast. I have not thrown mine enough to say for sure how quickly it will change.

I should have also mentioned the 2nd run's lack of glide, as well as they seem to be much faster than the advertised speed 7 (which makes sense).

Joz said:
I should have also mentioned the 2nd run's lack of glide, as well as they seem to be much faster than the advertised speed 7 (which makes sense).
Seeing how flat mine are compared to the incessantly domey 1st runs and S-Lines, that's exactly what I was expecting.

OK, these are absolutely fantastic. I just kicked out my TeeBirds, these handle the exact same duty. I need to buy more while they're still available. =)

jubuttib said:
OK, these are absolutely fantastic. I just kicked out my TeeBirds, these handle the exact same duty. I need to buy more while they're still available. =)

Welcome! Good luck in your search, because they are becoming harder and harder to find (at least in the States). There are plenty of 3rd runs here. I am up to 12 2nd runs and 6 3rd runs :)

Joz said:
jubuttib said:

Welcome! Good luck in your search, because they are becoming harder and harder to find (at least in the States). There are plenty of 3rd runs here. I am up to 12 2nd runs and 6 3rd runs :)
I think they only just became available here in Finland, so I should be OK. =)

EDIT: Ah, might have been a bit hasty, at least Powergrip only had a few (InnovaStore probably has plenty though). Well, they happened to have the "exact same ones as I have now", meaning they're nominally the same weight and are the same color, so I ordered 4 of them, bringing me up to six. Considering the rate which I go through discs the last 3 will probably outlast me. =)

Do you think that the FD could replace my saints? It would go between my PD'S and roadrunner. I find that i like the flight of the saint but am very inconsistent with it.

Jackals are all over the place shape wise so who knows what you will get and how it works for you. Let alone combined with the rest of the your bag. They are as wide apart from each other as the most overstable and undrstable pds. So ymmv and a handful of salt. It is up to you to decide if the variance is good or bad. The upside is variety and flexibility to cover a range of stabilities with one mold. The downside is that trying to get a disc for one role you might get one suitable for another. The same as with the pd so you need to know what to look for and online shopping is risky.

Hmmm, I've always thought of the FD as a more of a River replacement than a Saint replacement. Not including the flat 2nd run C-FDs, those things are pretty much like TeeBirds when it comes to stability, so would probably be a good fit for that slot.

Got some throws in side-by-side with my Teebirds. They fly a lot like my lightly seasoned star Teebird, but with less fade. A little more glidey than my Teebirds also. The Champ Birds are the most OS, then the FDs with the 3rd run c-line being slightly more stable than the s-line, which has about a -1.5 turn. The FDs were definitely more stable than an opto River. I think they'll make a good disc to sit between Teebirds and Rivers. We'll see how they break in.

I also need to test them in some wind.

Need to check S-FD's again, the ones I've had the pleasure of throwing were definitely more like -2 HSS or something, basically flew like a slightly seasoned Champ Leo.

And just to throw it out there, anyone throw the C-FD2 yet? I threw mine a few times and while I didn't really feel like I got good throws anyway, it still seemed like it was slowing down very quickly and had a somewhat dumpy fade. I definitely need to take it out to a field when I'm having a better day, but I was still wondering what experiences others have had so far.

My C-FD2 is the perfect disc between my stable PDs and FDs. I still keep a 2nd run C-FD in the bag, but it lacks the HSS that C-FD2 has. Thrown flat and hard, my 2nd Run C-FD will turn whereas the C-FD2 holds a line and always finishes on my intended line. I have grown to appreciate its lack of glide as well, as it definitely does not fly as far as my PDs do, which makes it easier to not overthrow on some holes where I would have used a PD in the past. Hope that helps...

Sounds about right for mine as well. Kinda bummed, I was really hoping it to be essentially a production 2nd run C-FD. Doesn't feel like a bad disc, just doesn't feel like the disc I was hoping it to be.

Welp, at least I've got 6 of the 2nd run C-FDs, should last me a while.