• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Discmania FD3

BirdieMachine

Michael Moore Fan Club President
Approved!

Specs-

21.2 width
2.0 rim width = speed 10
1.7 height
29.75 rim configuration
1.1 rim depth

Looks to be a speed 10 disc, unsure about stability.

I call it "the firebird for everyone"

In C-Line its flight is similar to a Star Firebird. It's not as overstable as FAF, metal flake, crazy-meathook-style FB's. It has more fade and wind resistance than a PD, but because it's not quite as overstable as a new Champ Firebird it makes it easy to throw farther while still getting that reliable finish even in the wind. If your max D is <320-330' you may see some overlap between the PD and the FD3, but anyone with 350'+ power, as well as anyone playing in windy conditions will see the difference between those two discs easily.

In testing, we all loved this disc, but what convinced us it was a winner is Simon loves it. Getting this type of disc in our lineup has been a priority for awhile and finally it's been delivered!

I like my Firebirds with a bit of dome as they're much easier to throw to me. No thumbers, so the FAF ones aren't my cup of tea.
So...color me intrigued.
Well, next year.

I call it "the firebird for everyone"

In C-Line its flight is similar to a Star Firebird. It's not as overstable as FAF, metal flake, crazy-meathook-style FB's. It has more fade and wind resistance than a PD, but because it's not quite as overstable as a new Champ Firebird it makes it easy to throw farther while still getting that reliable finish even in the wind. If your max D is <320-330' you may see some overlap between the PD and the FD3, but anyone with 350'+ power, as well as anyone playing in windy conditions will see the difference between those two discs easily.

In testing, we all loved this disc, but what convinced us it was a winner is Simon loves it. Getting this type of disc in our lineup has been a priority for awhile and finally it's been delivered!

source?

I thought FD stood for fairway driver... a 10 speed disc is not a fairway driver. If this is like a firebird then no no thanks

I thought FD stood for fairway driver... a 10 speed disc is not a fairway driver. If this is like a firebird then no no thanks

True...but Firebird says distance driver on it and I can outthrow it with mids often...

Clearly people are way too obsessed with the numbers. Just test it, throw it where it fits.

Clearly people are way too obsessed with the numbers. Just test it, throw it where it fits.

I would tend to agree, but it's nice to know "about" what it's supposed to do. I don't have enough money to buy one of every type of disc out there now to just test.

I would tend to agree, but it's nice to know "about" what it's supposed to do. I don't have enough money to buy one of every type of disc out there now to just test.

QFT. That's what makes accurate info necessary. I've recently been auditioning discs to replace my OOP favorite fairway driver. I have no interest in buying the entire list of suspects to fill that role--the stack I've put money into already is quite enough. So, testing all of the new discs is not a practical option, so it doesn't make for good advice.

I'm not obsessed with the numbers at all but come on. One, if it truly is a 10 speed disc it's not a fairway driver, period. If it is a fairway driver and not really 10 speed, then that's poor information and representation of the disc and many people will have an expectation and will buy it simply based on the numbers. And two, if you have the money to buy every disc that interests you just to test out then that's great. I'd bet that this disc won't have a place in my bag if it's firebirdish - AJ teebirdish

I'm not obsessed with the numbers at all but come on. One, if it truly is a 10 speed disc it's not a fairway driver, period. If it is a fairway driver and not really 10 speed, then that's poor information and representation of the disc and many people will have an expectation and will buy it simply based on the numbers. And two, if you have the money to buy every disc that interests you just to test out then that's great. I'd bet that this disc won't have a place in my bag if it's firebirdish - AJ teebirdish

Speed is related to rim width and how it retains its release speed. It seems like fairway drivers are typically speeds 6-8 and control drivers 9/10, or else they are distance drivers. But, based on glide/stability, distance is very different no matter the speed rating. I can see how an overstable speed 9ish disc is more in range of a fairway driver (and accurate like them), even though the rim width is greater and its speed is greater. Like I said, my Firebird says distance driver on it and its rim width is 1.9cm I think...but I slot it with my fairways because I use it for control shots...and I throw my fairways 50' further than the Firebird (and other distance drivers 50' farther than the fairways). So really it seems they are classifying its use, not its speed for what name to give it. Or at least that's a different interpretation.

Latest posts