• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania is no different than Ticketmaster

Just an FYI, Discmania isn't a disc manufacturer, so they have a lot less control over their supply then people think. Innova/Lat 64 are obviously going to prioritize their own discs before manufacturing for Discmania.

Discmania should really just jack up the prices themselves for the first release $35 a disc, second release $28, third $20 or whatever. Not sure what retail was the CB2 $20 or $25?

Anyhow, I have flipped discs. I remember the first Cloudbreaker release I bought one on a wim just to throw it. Saw the pricing going over $65 on ebay so I sold it. Got a new one when it got restocked a month later. Sellers don't set the market, buyers do. I honestly don't understand paying double the price just to get a disc a month or 3 earlier or at all really.

Anyhow lots of people throwing their CB2 280ft feeling swanky. Nothing wrong with that.

I love seeing these "but i didnt get one.." threads. They make me chuckle.
Every time a popular in demand disc sells out, the whiney grown men come here to complain about the company or resellers.

Just remember that its just a disc and there are at least 10 other molds that do the same thing
OR
Quit complaining and go to ebay. Be a man and open your wallet if its really that important to you ;)

If you cant afford it, or arent quick enough to buy before someone else...
Welp....dems da berries

No participation trophies when you become and adult.

OP:

dawson_crying.jpg

We complain there isn't enough money in Disc Golf and companies like Discmania cant get their act together enough to sell their discs at somewhere close to the market rate, or get enough product manufactured that resellers aren't selling at multiples of the RRP. So much money left on the table, well, there's a handful fewer sponsorships going begging or possibly a tournament prize-pot boost.

This thread is about as irritating as those threads on beeradvocate bemoaning a hype brewery that is operating at capacity and can't keep up with demand. What's truly amusing is if hype whatever decided to start selling their wares at the cost the after market is willing to pony up. These people will be the first to complain all over again.

I've read that Discmania had to place their order with Innova for the CB2 way back in January. And they ordered double what they did for the CB1. Similar story for the Sky God III, except the order for that one was almost a year ago. And obviously a lot has happened in the time since. When people complain about Discmania not making enough, like it's so easy and obvious, realize that these things have to be scheduled long in advance, they're not fully in control, there's a ton of guesswork involved, they have other discs that also need time on the manufacturing schedule, etc. etc.

And then, if you over-estimate a disc's future popularity, you end up with way too many Leo Piironen FD2s collecting dust on the shelves, when you could've used that manufacturing time on reliably-always-in-demand S-line FDs instead, which is arguably a worse problem for them to have.

We complain there isn't enough money in Disc Golf and companies like Discmania cant get their act together enough to sell their discs at somewhere close to the market rate, or get enough product manufactured that resellers aren't selling at multiples of the RRP. So much money left on the table, well, there's a handful fewer sponsorships going begging or possibly a tournament prize-pot boost.

Have you tried being mad about a piece of plastic?

It must be very difficult for you to even get through the day sometimes.

Discmania is no different than Tickmaster. They know that when a signature series disc is released a few people are going online buying up the stock and reselling at jacked up prices.

Do they they try to limit or stop the practice? Nope they seem fine with this. Just like Ticketmaster.

Clearly Discmania doesn't seem to care about their customer base on this issue.

Have you contacted Discmania and asked them about all this, or is it just speculation?

The real problem is money left in the table for both Discmania and Eagle. The market dictates the price. Obviously the price that Discmania has set is way too low. Double the price and keep all the variables the same and everyone wins. Discmania and Eagle gets more money in their pockets. After all these discs are to support the pros.

1. Its not the scalper, its the scalpee, that makes that market work.
2. A disc company only cares about selling its allotment/production run. They have profit margin budgeted and simply want to hit that. Perhaps their business model is flawed, but whether THEY sold the discs for high $$ or a scalper did, the price would eventually gravitate toward whatever the market will bear. Its all about supply and demand. See point 1.
3. Sometimes though, the PERCEPTION of scarcity of supply can cause a large increase in demand.
4. I wonder how many B and C tier (or worse) archers, (who will never win a dollar professionally in their lives), would nonetheless pay $50 plus for an arrow? Not many I bet, unless it is going directly to some display case as a collector's item.
5. Climo could (barring any current injuries), even today in his 50's outplay 99.99% of disc golf players using nothing but his favorite 3 discs from the early 90s--in their original condition of course.

He would curl his ancient Roc 350' in and around 3 trees while some here complaining about lack of supply of the newest 'best disc ever' would slam the first available, thus ruining said best disc ever. And thus increase the demand for it even more. :)

Latest posts