• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania is no different than Ticketmaster

Seabrook

Par Member
Discmania is no different than Tickmaster. They know that when a signature series disc is released a few people are going online buying up the stock and reselling at jacked up prices.

Do they they try to limit or stop the practice? Nope they seem fine with this. Just like Ticketmaster.

Clearly Discmania doesn't seem to care about their customer base on this issue.

Discmania is no different than Tickmaster. They know that when a signature series disc is released a few people are going online buying up the stock and reselling at jacked up prices.

Do they they try to limit or stop the practice? Nope they seem fine with this. Just like Ticketmaster.

Clearly Discmania doesn't seem to care about their customer base on this issue.

Market speculators serve a valid function in any economy. There are two possible ways to stop speculation. Proper pricing on the supply side, or a reduction in demand. So either you pay the same jacked up prices but with Discmania directly, or you simply stop paying the speculators their insane markups.

As it is, as people seem all too eager to purchase from the speculators, it would seem they are not "jacking up prices" but instead properly pricing them for the demand.

What's your solution?

My solution is companies limiting orders to 2 discs per address/PO box, and making bigger runs unless their intention is for it to be a truly "limited edition" product, in which case they should charge a premium as a collector's item.

If companies can't be bothered to do this, then yes, I would accuse them of trying to generate hype. Whether that's a problem or a shady move is entirely a matter of opinion.

It feels pretty good not caring about this.

Just throw stock stamped discs. Problem solved

Agreed. I throw old Alphas worth $50-$75. When they break or are lost, I'll replace them with new Alphas worth $15. Bugger the premiums.

What's your solution?

Sell directly to stores like Sabattus and DG United. Retail stores are not marking up the prices. Innova sells the Halo, Kolling Thunderbirds, Sexton Firebirds to both individuals and store fronts. Therefore when the product is released it is available to everyone then over time they become harder to find.

Market speculators serve a valid function in any economy. There are two possible ways to stop speculation. Proper pricing on the supply side, or a reduction in demand. So either you pay the same jacked up prices but with Discmania directly, or you simply stop paying the speculators their insane markups.

As it is, as people seem all too eager to purchase from the speculators, it would seem they are not "jacking up prices" but instead properly pricing them for the demand.

Or you sell to retail stores like DG United, Playit Again Sports, Marshall Street, etc where they don't jack the prices through the roof.

Why do you HAVE to have any particular disc? I mean I understand you may want it, but with the number of discs on the market, none are magic.

I venture a guess that you are not able to get your hands on these discs and jack up the prices?

if not....go find another disc that fits that slot. If McBeth can change companies and put a whole new disc line up in his bag, i am guessing you can find a disc for cheaper to do the same job.

I don't give a wit about CloudBreakers.
They are limiting purchase to 5 per customer, so to the OP, they care...a little bit.

But I too, have gotten frustrated with companies selling to a few people that will re-sell at scalper prices.
I've done some scalping myself from time to time.
I understand that they love to create buzz and create a perceived value before they release them to the general public.
It's a formula that has worked well in the past.
And the company that does this better than everyone else combined is Discmania.

Why do you HAVE to have any particular disc? I mean I understand you may want it, but with the number of discs on the market, none are magic.

I venture a guess that you are not able to get your hands on these discs and jack up the prices?

if not....go find another disc that fits that slot. If McBeth can change companies and put a whole new disc line up in his bag, i am guessing you can find a disc for cheaper to do the same job.

So very true.

Regretfully, I tried unsuccessfully to grab a couple this morning. Just because. I was just trying to get two. I wanted a really light one and a max weight. I was logged in and ready to go using Apple Pay. Stuck a couple in my cart quickly, hit check out, and out of stock. Tried again maybe four times and just said screw it.

Oh well.

I really could care less about how a company chooses to handle their business but maybe setting up the website to where once you stuck something in your cart it would stay there for like one minute to give you time to pay would be nice. It's kind of like if you were in a brick and mortar and literally stuck a couple of things in your cart and started heading to the register to pay and you got ten feet and some guy reaches into your basket and takes your items out.

It's just a lack of business acumen, leaving so much money on the table.

Selling them at the free market price would piss OP off even more, so just print more so everyone can get one. Oh no you just made more money.

It feels pretty good not caring about this.

Amen.

Y'all know they'll eventually make more of them, and to me: if it's truly a great disc, it will get a reputation in the disc golf community as such, and later on down the road if I feel compelled, I'll buy one. The discs I've got in my bag now are plenty good for me and my game though, thank you very much.

Latest posts