• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Discmania Prototype January 2016 (DDX)

Added to all he frustration is the FB ridiculous secondary market. Guys buying up dozens of Seely thunderbirds for instance and then relegating them to raffles for $100+.
im glad discmania limited it to 2 at least
I don't mind paying a few extra bucks to raise funds for touring players or events. (That is, buying from the manufacturer stores/sites.) But the whole secondary, buying stacks of discs to create an inflated market value, I don't agree with. Limiting to two seems more than fair. Allows folks to pick up a few throwers or grab one for the wall, etc.

59419957.jpg

Got myself Konopiste DDx and tried it on a field today.

It was more understable than I expected. I had my Destroyers with me from "understable" to stable and DDx was nothing like Destroyer. First I throw my Destroyers in a slight hyzerflip and they flyed fine (about 410ft). Then came the time I was waiting for. Same throw and DDx flipped flat, went over and never did it want to come back. I have no use for this disc as it is more of a rollerdisc then long bommer for me.

Last edited:
Seems like these Konopiste Open DDx's fly like Star Terns. I highly doubt the early protos were like that when new...

They are GORGEOUS for those of us who like swirly plastic, but they do seem to suffer the Trilogy Disease. The flight does not match the numbers...

It's listed as a "12/6/-.5/2.5" and I was expecting something like a slightly Destroyer or a Trespass. Not so much... It flies more like a Katana. Awesome glide, easy to hyzer flip straight out of the box, gets long sweeping flex lines, great distance, but a lot more lateral movement than I was expecting. I certainly wouldn't say this is flippy as it never completely flipped over and burned me. It's just more understable than I expected. However, it still had the stability to fight back to a hyzer finish every time. It's charm really was in distance hyzer flipped shots, though. On a decent hyzer, it would flip to flat, ride that line straight for a GOOOOD long time, then fade out pretty well. On a more mild hyzer, it would flip up quick, turn right 15-20 degrees, flex back slowly and finish back a bit towards center.

I'd say it's more around 12/6/-2/2... It's certainly not going to be replacing any Destroyers unless you're looking for an understable turner, but if you're a fan of the Katana, Beast, Freedom, D4 type of flex shots and hyzer flips with great glide, the DDx will work in lots of bags.

tW2t6IE.jpg

Got myself Konopiste DDx and tried it on a field today.

It was more understable than I expected. I had my Destroyers with me from "understable" to stable and DDx was nothing like Destroyer. First I throw my Destroyers in a slight hyzerflip and they flyed fine (about 410ft). Then came the time I was waiting for. Same throw and DDx flipped flat, went over and never did it want to come back. I have no use for this disc as it is more of a rollerdisc then long bommer for me.

so a Tern, then?

so a Tern, then?

I forgot about the Tern. I was always more a Katana guy when I was throwing a lot of Innova. The Tern was released as I was moving away from them more.

But, yes. A Champ Tern or even a Color Glow (at least the one single sample I've thrown) is a good comparison. The Star line of Terns will not have as much fade as a DDx. One of my usual DG partners loves GStar Terns and those are MUUUCH more flippy than a DDx. I'd be interested in seeing a C-Line DDx once they come out.

A lot of the DM pro's prefer the MF DDx (looks to be coming out next week). I think bigger arms feel the same sentiment as your review and find the s-line to be a little too flippy. I am guessing the MF will be more stable and closer to the numbers.

But for my noodle arm I can't wait to track down an s-line :)

so a Tern, then?

From my understanding, the DDx is the PD2 top with the Tern wing. So I'd guesstimate that a S-DDx would fly similarly to a Star Tern...which are understable.

What would be great is if the MF DDx is a tiny bit more overstable than the MF Tern's. That would definitely be a disc I'd be interested in throwing as I really like the MF Tern, but wish it had just a tiny bit more stability.

I am headed out to try it today. I have my Tern for comparison. Although, I confess, a big reason why I picked up a DDx is because I wanted a more stable Tern... not a carbon copy. :(

I tossed mine a handful of times yesterday. It's only a 167 but rip it on a smooth hyzer and it flips up and locks into place and goes dead straight with a reliable fade. The only time I had it turn on me was in a weird head/right to left wind. I'm going to throw it a bit more today. They will likely stick in my bag once I acquire heavy one's and/or c-lines come out. My go to driver's are heavy older run champ terns that are significantly more stable than recent runs which are hard to find so the DDX I have is not as stable but close and lighter so 175's and in c-line plastic should fill that void. My one friend was throwing his 175 but only throws in the 350 range and his would just hold a long hyzer or slightly flip up.

Second set of throws in today. Not so understable as I thought yesterday. Slight turn, fast and glidey make it a long disc. My best throws were probably something like 350ft so up there with my other long discs. Gotta say my form is a little all over the place so early in the season, but I felt much more confident driving these DDx today vs yesterday when s lot of the shots were sailing right

Talking to the guys at the Discmania store they said the MFs and C lines are right between a champ Tern and a Destroyer. I hope that is how they turn out because that sounds like a great spot.

Latest posts