• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft needs to step their game back up'

Discraft doesn't seem to be flying off the shelf around here either, they just don't offer enough plastic options. It's not all that hard to be labeled "consistent" when most of what they make is only available in "Z" plastic.

More ESP and "X"!

Yeah. I bought some Discraft models to try out and the only thing I figured out quickly is that I don't like the Elite Z plastic at all. Gave those discs away.

Not around me anyway, I saw a total of 2 Prodigy discs on the course last year and one of them was my P3.

Discraft doesn't seem to be flying off the shelf around here either, they just don't offer enough plastic options. It's not all that hard to be labeled "consistent" when most of what they make is only available in "Z" plastic.

More ESP and "X"!

Why, is Z plastic easier to make consistent molds with?

I wouldn't say I favor Discraft but a majority of my discs are made by them. It may be just a coincidence but I rarely dislike a disc made by them.

Yes. They have said it is the reason for discontinuing offerings. X wasps ESP trackers

I am no expert on plastics. What makes is easier to produce consistent Z molds, than X, ESP, Crystal, D, Flex? Does it take heat better, cool faster?

Why don't companies, struggling with consistency make use of this plastic more often?

Considering that Gateway is all over the place, sideboob Atoms, "good" DX and bad, crappy D...maybe making baseline IS harder.

Rupor i think it comes down to what the molds were orginally made to be produced in and shape of the actual mold.

Some probably have 2 different molds one for premium plastic and another for baseline. Thats the case with ions which use a similar z like plastic but could not be produced in baseline without a new mold due to unique plastic properties.

Look at a mold like the tern and it tells you thr single mold used for champ vs star produces pretty different flying discs. Same with wizards of different plastic types which shape up a little unique.

No more X Preds was a crime against disc golfers. That one still blows my mind.

Pretty much. I have a stash I'm not throwing, but I pretty much stopped throwing them once they became OOP and harder to find.

That was pretty much the Discraft equivalent of a Teebird that everyone seems to always be hunting for.

Pretty much. I have a stash I'm not throwing, but I pretty much stopped throwing them once they became OOP and harder to find.

That was pretty much the Discraft equivalent of a Teebird that everyone seems to always be hunting for.
Aren't you required to only throw Innova?

Discraft might make some odd decisions on which plastics are offered for their molds, but we don't know what all goes into that decision.

As was stated, it might be difficult and not cost effective to run some molds in certain plastics.

It would certainly be difficult to argue though that they don't offer a full set of amazing plastic.

Z, Big Z, Z FLX, Cryztal, Cryztal FLX, Cryztal Sparkle FLX, ESP, ESP FLX, GLO Z, Ti, Ti FLX, Elite X, Soft X, CT and Pro D.

I'm sure I'm missing one.

Z GLO FLX

BIG Z SPARKLE CRYSTAL :p

Still would love to try a Elite -X Meteor, just to cure some queries' :)

Rupor i think it comes down to what the molds were orginally made to be produced in and shape of the actual mold.

Some probably have 2 different molds one for premium plastic and another for baseline. Thats the case with ions which use a similar z like plastic but could not be produced in baseline without a new mold due to unique plastic properties.

Look at a mold like the tern and it tells you thr single mold used for champ vs star produces pretty different flying discs. Same with wizards of different plastic types which shape up a little unique.

Thanks AIM, this makes sense. But, aren't different plastics supposed to fly differently? Seems like you would have to experiment with each plastic/mold to get each to fly the same. I like having the option of a slightly less stable XPress in X-Elite opposed to Z.

Discraft might make some odd decisions on which plastics are offered for their molds, but we don't know what all goes into that decision.

As was stated, it might be difficult and not cost effective to run some molds in certain plastics.

It would certainly be difficult to argue though that they don't offer a full set of amazing plastic.

Z, Big Z, Z FLX, Cryztal, Cryztal FLX, Cryztal Sparkle FLX, ESP, ESP FLX, GLO Z, Ti, Ti FLX, Elite X, Soft X, CT and Pro D.

And they can't produce the Nebula in any of them. :wall::doh::mad::(

Thanks AIM, this makes sense. But, aren't different plastics supposed to fly differently? Seems like you would have to experiment with each plastic/mold to get each to fly the same. I like having the option of a slightly less stable XPress in X-Elite opposed to Z.

It is not just that X plastic may fly different than Z, but also that the X may not be consistent run to run, so Discraft chooses not to offer the X at all (in some molds).

And they can't produce the Nebula in any of them. :wall::doh::mad::(

Can't, or won't. Unless there's a broken mold, should be no reason why they can't do a run. I have heard that if you call them directly, and have a big enough order, they'll run just about anything for you.

I'll agree with this post, definitely. Discraft has really nice plastic blends, but not many molds that appeal to me.

The zone is the only DC in my setup right now.

I dunno. My favorite Disctaft mold, the XL, is in five different plastics. That's quite a few for any disc. Avengers too. Magnets don't fly as nice in premium (at least the Cryztal one I have). And a distance driver I have, and might like if I could actually throw it, the Flash, comes in Z and ESP. Do you really need an X? ESP beats in relatively fast in the wide wing drivers.

I guess what I'm saying is, do you really need all the options?

I really think Ultimate is what they're planning to be their bread and butter. They make a ton off Ultimate, and looking at how they promote Ultimate you can see that it is their big product. They make well off of disc golf, but it's no longer priority number one.

I haven't been in disc golf that long, but I've seen Discraft fall from solid number two in the market, to sharing that spot with DD/Trilogy and Prodigy.

I don't think Prodigy is doing that well.

Lol, no way is Prodigy number 2.

Latest posts