• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

discraft xl

I have or at least had an ESP, max weight XL. It was very nice for controlled turnovers, but like the Stalkers, not enough longer than a Buzzz for me to make the bag. I was digging the talk about an shorter Avenger (XL in Z plastic) until the last two posts. Does anyone have newer Zs that are on the stable to overstable side? If so, what colors seem to be more overstable?
KP

I carry 3 xls all the time. One in each plastic elite x, esp, and z. Best and most versatile fairway driver imo. X is nice and flippy right off the shelf. Esp is a longer buzz, and the z has i bit more hss with a solid fade finish. All the z xls i've had, have been solid hss discs for me.

I wonder if some of you guys throw the flx version a lot? On paper, I really love the xl, but I keep throwing my flx nose up! I don't have that problem with both my star and champion leopard, as well as with my other fairway driver, the timberwolf (amazing disc btw). I wonder if the flx plastic affect my release... I know it's not the disc's fault, but the other flx disc I have is midrange (buzzz) and I release it well. Still, what is your thoughts? Other people experienced the same thing with flx xl (and other faster flx disc?)? Off course, I might just suck at disc golf lol!

Thanks for your input!

(been lurking a lot, but it's my first post. Started playing 18 months ago but have sports background. I can throw ok (leopard a touch above 300 feet)).

I have a couple of flxs. I did notice that they tended to go nose up. But I also haven't thrown those in a few years so it could have been something with the thrower.

Don't know why a certain plastic would tend to go nose up, but I tend to stay away from FLX for the most part. FLX Predators I've noticed are at least as stable as the Z's, and sometimes even more so. Just seems like that plastic makes discs fly differently than they do in any other plastic.

Ryan C said:
Don't know why a certain plastic would tend to go nose up, but I tend to stay away from FLX for the most part. FLX Predators I've noticed are at least as stable as the Z's, and sometimes even more so. Just seems like that plastic makes discs fly differently than they do in any other plastic.

Well, I believe that every plastic make the same disc fly a little differently, even when new (when they break in, it gets obvious). For instance, I'm pretty sure my FLX Buzzz has a little more glide than my Z Buzzz.

The question is whether or not FLX plastic on faster disc (or just the XL) makes it harder to release the disc nose down... I will try to throw a XL in X/ESP/Z in the next few weeks to see how their release compare!

I will post a thread in the equipment forum to see what people think of drivers in flx plastic.

KP

I have 2 flx xls in my practice stack. I find them to fly almost identical to my esps. However i tend not to throw flx stuff in the golf bag. Just not a good feel for me. Besides high school physics tells me i'm probably losing energy through the flexing of the disc during the throw. Lol.

cmroorda said:
I have 2 flx xls in my practice stack. I find them to fly almost identical to my esps. However i tend not to throw flx stuff in the golf bag. Just not a good feel for me. Besides high school physics tells me i'm probably losing energy through the flexing of the disc during the throw. Lol.

i would think that the spin put on the disc once thrown would make the disc just as rigid as anything else. and its not like the FLX plastic melts in your hand like a Blowfly, its just bendy like the older gummy plastic.
though i would say that the FLX plastic tends to be more overstable than the others.

Yes my FLX XLs also tended to be more OS. I'm not sure what to really say about them since I don't really throw XLs at all anymore. They are a great discs, I just moved away from them for whatever reason.

keltik said:
Yes my FLX XLs also tended to be more OS. I'm not sure what to really say about them since I don't really throw XLs at all anymore. They are a great discs, I just moved away from them for whatever reason.

i hear this from everyone it seems like...

unless your looking for a good overhand disc or can't find a drone then avoid the FLX XL

Just bought an Elite Pro XL from PIAS and spent the afternoon throwing it alongside several others and found it very similar to my GL River but much domier and with a more favorable grip and inner rim slant/depth. Both these discs carve great lines with lots of glide. Eventually threw the River in the truck and played a round wit the XL...

Yes I find the X XLs to be very similar to Gold Line Rivers. IMO they have almost as much glide especially in X or Pro D plastic. If you but one in Pro D, once it gets beat it is a hyser flip machine. I have only one Z XL and it is unlike all my others. I think it is a freak, it has the high speed stability of a Champ Teebird and the hard fade of a Champ Eagle. I would carry it but I use my OLF to cover those shots.

Latest posts