• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discs, bags and distance.

ThunderEagle

Par Member
OK, I'm a week into this. Started out with a Discraft starter set:

Stratus, Buzz and Soft Magnet.

Because I cannot leave well enough alone, I went a couple of days later and picked up a Pro-D Buzz and a Whaoo (home course has an island hole, as in not just surrounded by OB, but surrounded by a lake, it is an optional pin though). The Wahoo was probably a mistake. :)

Anyhow, then met up with the local club for their leagues, and purchased a couple of discs from them, as it also helps maintain the course. Big Z Comet (I really like this disc) and a Star Aviar that I thought I liked a lot better than the Magnet at first, but now, not so much.

Then I went to a Play it Again sports, wanting to find a Avenger SS, but ended up walking out with a Heat and Nuke SS.

Basically only being able to throw all of my discs the same distance, I'm now only carrying the Stratus, Buzz, Magnet and Comet out on the course.

I'm sure I probably should be thinking about any discs, but if anyone thinks I'm missing something, chime in.

Now, onto bags. I'm currently using a shoulder/sling pack that I have had for just general things. Walking around the fair, scouting for hunting season, range bag, etc. It is a Maxpedition bag, so wasn't cheap, but not made for disc golf. Looks like it is fine for up to about 8 discs, albeit a little wide. I'm not looking to spend a ton on a bag (if at all), but I've been looking around for something similar for discs. This bag is kind of unique in that it goes on your back, but you can spin it around to your chest and access what is inside. Here is a link to what I have: http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Noatak-Gearslinger-Closeout-FINAL-SALE-72p9677.htm

Anything like that for discs? I've looked at the Fade Gear bags, interested the lite or crunch box, but not totally thrilled with the straps on them, they don't look comfy. Not really wanting a full blown backpack either. I was hoping for a 10-12 disc capacity "gearslinger" type bag. The closest seems to be the Fossa Zoma.

Now, last on the list, distance, mine is bad, same for drivers, mids and putters. Granted, a lot of my throws are not great, but when I do manage what feels like a decent one, they don't go far. I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking 150 or less most times. When and how does that increase? Is this normal? Do I suck more than a normal n00b?

Welcome to the game/sport!
As a newbie, this would be a good read for you.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32790

A lot of us have started chasing distance with discs we had no business throwing. Nature of the beast I guess.

The Comet is great disc, use it, learn it and it will reward you.

As for the bag, the Innova standard bag is good cheap starter bag. I still use mine for casual rounds when I don't need or want to use many discs. Holds 10-12 discs. The fade crunch box is a step up and has more room for accessories.

I have a Crunch Box with Innova backpack straps on it. It's a great bag, especially for the price. I had the Lite bag before and it was fine but I like the extra room in the Crunch Box. The carry strap on the Lite and the Crunch Box were comfortable but the padded part wasn't adjustable, it was sewn to the strap, so it made it carry weird if you adjusted the strap length too far up or down. Fade stuff is durable and for the price you can't beat it but I am sure there are other better, albeit pricier, options out there.

Once I started getting a little more serious, I stepped up to the Crunch Box too. Great bag, still have it actually. After a year, I got some Phenix Quads. Quads were definitely better than the shoulder strap. No complaints at all.

Then I got a focus for Fathers Day. My V1 was good for about 5-7 discs depending on if I was rocking the Camelback. The newer versions are a little better for capacity. Then I begged for and received a Shift at Christmas. Best bag I've owned. I still use the Focus for rounds with my kids, Ace Races/Trinity/Circuits. I'd look at a Focus especially if you are going to stay in that 5-6 disc range for a while as you learn but the price point is not in your range most likely.

Those look nice, but yeah, not really in the price range I'm looking at. For now I'll probably stick with pack I've been using, as it works perfectly fine. Of course, I'm also comparing a $130 pack to $40 and less packs. Only reason I have this is got it on a BOGO a couple of years back and we have 2 of them. I might have to look at more "off brand" tactical type packs, as I really want that strap that allows both back and chest carrying.

Sounds like you're in the same state as most of us when we started. Gotta get all the discs you can! :D Good thing you're being smart and sticking with slower discs to start though. In time, an Avenger or Nuke SS will serve you well, but as you're developing, those Buzzes and Comets will be your best friends! Stratus is a solid disc as well, but many people find them too flippy (turns over right when thrown right-handed backhand) You may want to try out that Heat more or check out a Stalker (looks like you're a Discraft fan)

For bags, Prodigy just released a low cost backpack - Prodigy BP3 - that offers solid storage options, and would satisfy your carrying preference.

Review below:

Cheers, and be well.

Hey! Another Newbie here! I laughed out loud when I saw you have a Wahoo - first disc I bought, because I was SURE if there was water anywhere on a course, I'd find it! I've been playing a bit longer than you, but only an occasional round by myself for fun, no idea at all what I was doing. I played a lot of Frisbee in college - so thought - how hard can it be?!? Ha. I quickly decided the Wahoo was never going to make me very happy, went back and got talked into a Sidewinder. I never even knew there was any other brand besides Innova till I found this site! Anyway, on recommendations here, decided to go in search of a Leopard, and maybe a Mako. Except the only place I knew with discs only had drivers and putters, no fairway drivers or mid-range discs! Got talked into a higher-quality Sidewinder - guy told me the different plastic would totally handle differently. It truly does not. I have been throwing both, and they land within a few feet of each other almost every throw.

Found a Play It Again Sports (PIAS), which had TONS more! So added that Leopard (the Champion plastic), the Buzz, and a Discraft putter that I just liked the feel of. Now I have 8 discs - one I hate, one that's redundant, and one putter I never use (it's yellow, I seem to get a "Bad Vibe" from yellow, and pink). Oh, and despite noticing that everyone was recommending I look for lighter discs, I literally looked through thousands of them at PIAS, all of them were over 160 weight, most in the higher 160's. So that's what I have. Nothing even close to 150.

Like you, I'm not throwing far, or consistently. On a good throw, I've done a bit over 150', but not totally straight, I curve a bit left, and then fade right at the end. I've been working mostly on throwing more level, and trying to keep the flight low, not all loopy and high, and that is making a big difference. Tried the x-step stuff and all that, did a face plant tripping over my own feet! So now I'm just standing, concentrating on trying to get the rotation and snap to get more power on it. I also hope to just have the drive have a smooth, consistent "flow" - when I have done things more correctly, I usually know it before the disc even leaves my hand. It just doesn't happen often enough!

I met up with a great group of DG players this week, so might even start to be a bit social, not just lurk around the course all by myself, though unsure if I will like throwing with others watching. But I have to admit I may not learn all the lingo, and I have decided I am getting less and less interested into making this into some kind of science project where I overthink everything, or have to turn it into a new form of discipline and plain hard work! I learned to play Frisbee years ago as an intuitive thing, and over time got very good at it, without all kinds of analyzing and becoming an applied physicist in rotational aerodynamics. I just played and had a ball doing it, and that joy kept me at it, loving it.

I have found that in terms of closer shots - and throwing out of bad lies my cruddy driving gets me into - I do surprisingly well! It's more like my Frisbee roots, I guess. So I think I have basically good instincts, and I am not going to try to become a master. I think I am going to follow my gut, play intuitively. I may drive like crap, but have sunk 30' putts - and 20' putts pretty consistently. And often just place a disc right near the basket from some really bad starting place, which I have not always seen some really good players do.

I guess my point is... and from my name, you can see it takes me a while to get to it...is that you're doing great after a week. Relax! Have fun! And BTW, I use an old small Eddie Bauer backpack I've had for years. I doubt I'll get an official bag anytime soon. I am enjoying reading the posts here, and DG players seem like some of the nicest people on the planet! But they speak a different language, and they are into it in a way I'm not sure I will be able to keep up with.

Just the thoughts of a new player, FWIW. If I have to take it TOO seriously, then a day like my last round - where everything that could go wrong, did - will make me give up before long. Being driven about driving is not looking like a good plan for me, at least. And what the heck is a "Hyzer" anyway? :)

Sounds like you're in the same state as most of us when we started. Gotta get all the discs you can! :D

Better than pokemon.

Good thing you're being smart and sticking with slower discs to start though. In time, an Avenger or Nuke SS will serve you well, but as you're developing, those Buzzes and Comets will be your best friends! Stratus is a solid disc as well, but many people find them too flippy (turns over right when thrown right-handed backhand) You may want to try out that Heat more or check out a Stalker (looks like you're a Discraft fan)

I got to the point now, that I feel like I might be confusing myself trying to throw too many discs. I'm trying to stick to the stratus/comet/magnet. The Stratus might actually be the disc I throw the straightest right now. There is one of the Discraft, Ace Races on 10/2 near me that looks interesting, but I already have other commitments on that day.

As for the Discraft thing, well, it was the starter pack I ended up getting. In some ways I almost wish I had grabbed the Innova one, as it looks like those are easier to come by, since Dick's and the Wal-Mart down the road from my work both carry them. I think it might be better to stick with one brand as I learn the nuances. For Discraft it looks like I have to go to MC Sports or PIAS, or online.

I think I'm going to stick with the pack I have, not disc specific, but it is working, and I like being able to get into it on my chest as I'm walking down the fairway.

Hey! Another Newbie here! I laughed out loud when I saw you have a Wahoo - first disc I bought, because I was SURE if there was water anywhere on a course, I'd find it!
I hear ya, but after I thought about it, the lake I'm concerned about, even if the disc is floating, I'm not likely to be able to get to it! Oh well.

Found a Play It Again Sports (PIAS), which had TONS more!
Boy howdy! They had several brands too, Vibram, MVP, maybe even some of the Latitude64, along with the Discraft and Innova.

They were having a sale too, buy 3, get the 4th free. Also a used bin and clearance bin.

Like you, I'm not throwing far, or consistently. On a good throw, I've done a bit over 150', but not totally straight, I curve a bit left, and then fade right at the end. I've been working mostly on throwing more level, and trying to keep the flight low, not all loopy and high, and that is making a big difference. Tried the x-step stuff and all that, did a face plant tripping over my own feet! So now I'm just standing, concentrating on trying to get the rotation and snap to get more power on it. I also hope to just have the drive have a smooth, consistent "flow" - when I have done things more correctly, I usually know it before the disc even leaves my hand. It just doesn't happen often enough!

I'm learning a few things, look up different grips on the disc, using different techniques for drives vs. approach vs. putt has seemed to work out for me so far.

I think I might have discovered something last night on my drives, and that was the grip pressure I was applying with my thumb. I think I was putting too much pressure on, and then having it kind of stick in my hand too long and getting some really bad shots.

Next big thing I'm picking up on is that snap at the end of a throw. My putting has improved when I remember to do that pop or snap at the end, much more controllable, at least for me.

You seem to be mostly Innova, but the Comet I picked up seems to be pretty sweet so far. I like it.

I've been playing pretty constantly since I started eight months ago and I've read tons of DG-related articles on the interwebs. I occasionally play with guys who've played for years and I still often get confused when they use DG-specific jargon. It mildly frustrates me because I (1) have a very high IQ, and (2) am usually pretty good at deciphering things. I HATE not knowing the answer to things or not knowing exactly what people are talking about. OTOH, I'm afraid of asking stupid questions so I end up remaining muddled. It might be something to add to the agenda when I get around to therapy again, LOL.

Re: Disc purchases. I started with ten discs: two 3-disc starter packs for each of my boys and a 4-disc pack for me. I now have 23 in my bag, the boys each have 10-11 in their bags now, mostly my bag rejects. In addition, there's another bag of 10-12 rejects in the closet. So, that's somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 new discs (after the starter packs) purchased. I have finally gotten my bag to a point where every shot I have in my game is covered and there isn't too much overlap. I still have a hard time resisting the urge to buy new plastic every time I start browsing the threads here or clicking on the Infinite Discs website!

The key is having fun though, as many have stated here and elsewhere. The sport is a blast and I like the addiction!!!

Latest posts