• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

discs doing property damage?

disc gopher

Birdie Member
I was doing some work with my putter in my front yard and out of nowhere I really shanked one, a total griplock. it sailed across the street, through my neighbors yard and I almost **** my pants as it went straight for their HUGE (probably very expensive) window. I would guess it's about 15x20 or so. So yeah, it hits the window square in the middle and makes a deathly loud sound. But, as I approach their house I can see that it didnt have a single crack in it. :thmbup: They came outside and I apologized and all that jazz, but other than them being a littleee bit upset, I got VERYYYYYYYYYYY lucky. in hindsight, I really shouldnt be throwing in my neighborhood...

any other stories of discs doing damage to peoples property?

Ouch, that'll pucker you up. Got a high school nearby ya? Might be a little safer on their football field.

Back home I have pretty much destroyed one of the gutters on our pool house. Where I throw from is right between a tree and the pull house and needless to say you can count the number of times I have released the disc a little late.

I've done more damaging trying to chip balls in the yard though.

Ouch, that'll pucker you up. Got a high school nearby ya? Might be a little safer on their football field.

The usefulness of local high school fields on how generous the high school is with letting random people from the community use their fields, as well as how many other people use the fields for things like kicking soccer balls around, throwing baseballs, etc., as well as things like actual varsity practices, which in some places happen nearly year round. :\

within 5 minutes walking distance theres a middle school football field that I use for field work with drivers and mids but I was just practicing getting up and down with my putter on the ole' innova skilshot.

Just yesterday was playing my home course and on 18 the whole runs down next to a church parking lot on the right, which very rarely has any cars in it, but I grip locked my drive yesterday and it just nicked a tree which sent it right into the parking lot and hit the one car in the lot which was entirely empty except for this one car. Too make it worse there were people sitting in the car doing who knows what and some guy gets out, so I apologized and explained what happened and turned out to be no big deal but I was nervous that I'd be paying for some body work cause it hit the drivers side pretty hard. So hard it kicked off the car at least 75'. I didn't notice if it did any damage cause they drove off right after the guy got back in the car.

I let a roller go on a long open hole the other day at my local course. sadly though, It hit a down branch, and drifted right of my line...right into the parking lot...some poor soul now has a disc shaped dent in their front bumper :/

Back when I first started playing, I grip locked and nailed a big SUV near a softball field. Almost immediately, one of the bigger guys playing softball yells at me, "Hey, what do you think you're doing?" Being as thick as a praying mantis, I was a little scared. Then he came up and talked to me, and without even looking at his SUV, he said it was fine, and that he hates that car. It was pretty funny looking back, but in the moment I was deathly afraid of him.

The usefulness of local high school fields on how generous the high school is with letting random people from the community use their fields, as well as how many other people use the fields for things like kicking soccer balls around, throwing baseballs, etc., as well as things like actual varsity practices, which in some places happen nearly year round. :\
You should be able to play on the high school fields, when they aren't in use. As a tax payer you pay for that field.

at pro worlds 99 in rochester there was a very poorly designed hole (genessee park) that essentially required a hyzer over a public park road- sure enough windshield broken...

also was at an event at kentwood in raleigh where a windshield bought it along hole 2.

You should be able to play on the high school fields, when they aren't in use. As a tax payer you pay for that field.
This is the not the place for political discussions, but since you brought it up, just because a piece of land is owned by a public entity doesn't mean anyone can use it at their whim.

We have some public school owned soccer fields near my place that I used to do throwing practice at when not in use. A lot of pedestrians also used to cross the fields as a shortcut. Eventually, the school started locking gates to send us a message.

When i didn't have a basket i would play around my house and would have the lightpole be my basket or target. I threw my disc and it was a terrible shank and i hit my window. Luckily the window didnt break and there's just this mark that i can't get off.

This is the not the place for political discussions, but since you brought it up, just because a piece of land is owned by a public entity doesn't mean anyone can use it at their whim.

We have some public school owned soccer fields near my place that I used to do throwing practice at when not in use. A lot of pedestrians also used to cross the fields as a shortcut. Eventually, the school started locking gates to send us a message.

Agreed. Down here in Tejas, they frown on disc work on the Pee Wee football fields. The high school fields (and high school practice fields) are almost considered sacred ground.

i was sitting IN MY CAR waiting for a buddy and the parking lot is along the route between two holes. some dude just casually throwing his disc between holes doesn't realize that they can fade pretty hard when you just throw light and easy. the disc hit the driver side door and left a dent and blue paint. dude comes over and rubs off the blue with his finger, but the dent is clearly there. i should have taken his disc and locked myself in the car with it.

I've taken chunks out of my vinyl siding 3 times now. I guess the cold weather makes it extra brittle. I'll need to figure out a way to fix that in the spring.

the other day I was trying out a new dis in the back yard when my buddy asked me to throw it to him to try. Unfortunately he was standing by my house and I kind of tossed it w/o thinking and it smacked this huge window and broke the outside pane of glass. Im gonna try and post a pic tomorrow.

Latest posts