• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discs flying too high in the air??

connorjackson

Hey guys, brand new here so bear with me.

Been playing for about two months now, and am having trouble with all my discs having waaayyy too much glide; I only throw sidearm and it seems like no matter far left I can make my discs start, they'll eventually fade to the right and just die out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much.

Throwing higher speed drivers? They will all fade out at the end so that's normal. LSS Low Speed Stability is what it is. For straighter shots try throwing understable discs on a hyzerflip, discs like a Roadrunner. Throw slower stuff like Midranges and Putters as they won't fade much.

How far are you throwing? Could be throwing nose up some also.

Check this chart out as it lists the turn and fade of most discs-

https://www.gottagogottathrow.com/media/wysiwyg/G3T_ColorFlightChart10.15.14-1.png

Try a disc that will go left on your righty sidearm.
Try a Wedge, or Coyote, or Cheetah, or RoadRunner, or Mamba.

If you're throwing Bosses or D1's or Wraiths or Saints or things with a wide rim, try some of the discs above, they will most likely go left for you, if thrown flat.

The other thing that will make your discs go skyward is that you may be throwing while leaning backward.
Try to keep your weight forward and your body upright and your arm and disc level with the ground.
Easier said than done, huh?

Welcome to the Forums, hope this helps!

A few things I was taught when throwing sidearm. Grip and form is key for the snap and release of the disc. It sounds like you're either throwing a disc that is too fast for your arm speed, or you're swinging your arm up at release. No matter how you wind up and throw, your elbow needs to stay in to your side and you should end the throw with your palm up. Another thing I found I was doing wrong was my grip. I thought my grip was tight, but it still wobbled on release. Watched a few videos and found that it should be tight against your ring finger. Once I did that, wobble was gone and had a good snap.

When you reach back before the hit, try to visualize a higher reach back, naturally creating a flatter follow through.

There are going to be a lot of tips on here....the truth is, we don't really know how you're throwing or what's going wrong. But If you are a beginner. One of the main things is choosing the right disc. Also, Carry about 6 discs. 1 stable putter, 2 midranges Understable and Stable and 3 drivers Understable Stable and Overstable. Don't go beyond a speed 11 for Distance driver.
I suggest Premium plastics around 170g, this will reduce the effect wind will have on the throws.
Now for the shot....what someone said is correct, a wide rim driver no matter who you are, WILL always travel one direction or another. At low speeds all discs will hyzer out if given the chance. If you're throwing forehand shots, work on the level twist and follow-through. If you pull through and just flick it up it will certainly stall out and hyzer crash down to the ground.

Really to give you a good answer...its just PRACTICE....go to a field (not a course) and just throw and throw until you get a feel for the shots you can create. Even still I will have a bad drive and itll nose up and die, things happen. Just getting used to throwing level with power and followthrough...takes time.

GOOD LUCK :) ! !

Latest posts