• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discs for beginners

loledu

I am trying to figure out which discs to buy my fiance. She is interested in playing dg with me but she doesn't interact with a frisbee on a regular basis. When I started playing I had a history with ultimate frisbee so it was an easy transition.

I'm looking for suggestions on driver/mid/putt and suggested weights. She would be RHBH.

Thanks

A DX Stingray for a Discraft Stratus. My wife only plays once in a blue moon and she uses a Star Stingray and she does well with it.

Better start off with any 160-168g mid-range drivers (Roc, Buzzz, Cobra, Cro, Comet, Coyote, Kite, Skeeter, etc.) if she have any sports background involving using arms like basketball, softball, etc. Or get lighter ones if she is very new to the actual outdoor sports for the very first time...:eek:

This way, she can only throw one disc for everything (drive, approach, & putt) until she actually knows how to make good driving shots. Then she can start trying out the real distance drivers or she can try yours to get the ideas. For distance driver, 150g will do or can be 160+ if needed.

Just let her have fun for couple rounds before start lecturing her about how to throw it properly. If she asked, then by all means, give her some cool tips and hope that someday she might get hooked and go pro!

Good luck! :D

An unbiased list of good beginner discs:

Putter: Innova: Aviar P & A; Discraft: Magnet; Gateway: Magic
Midrange: Innova: Shark; Discraft: Comet; Millennium: Aurora MS; Quest: Rock-It; Lightning: # 3 Flyer.
Driver: Innova: Cheetah; Discraft: Cyclone; Millennium: Polaris LS; Daredevil: Swift Fox; Lightning: # 1 Flyer.

Weight: Starting out with 150 class discs is always a good move, but those are sometimes hard to find. I'd try to keep the drivers in the low 160's at least. Mids and putters you could safely go up to about 170.

An unbiased list of good beginner discs:

Putter: Innova: Aviar P & A; Discraft: Magnet; Gateway: Magic
Midrange: Innova: Shark; Discraft: Comet; Millennium: Aurora MS; Quest: Rock-It; Lightning: # 3 Flyer.
Driver: Innova: Cheetah; Discraft: Cyclone; Millennium: Polaris LS; Daredevil: Swift Fox; Lightning: # 1 Flyer.

Weight: Starting out with 150 class discs is always a good move, but those are sometimes hard to find. I'd try to keep the drivers in the low 160's at least. Mids and putters you could safely go up to about 170.

Thats an excellent list - the only thing I would say is an Innova leopard would also work interchangably with the Cheetah (i.e. either/or)

If you are looking for 150 class discs try finding them online as that will be your best bet.
discgolfcenter.com & primediscs.com both sell many different 150 class discs.

In fact: Prime discs currently has 150 class in the Cheetah, Leopard, Polaris LS  Flyer / Discgolfcenter.com has 150 class in the leopard, cheetah & LS Polaris ... so anyway you can check out those places for buying 150 class discs

forgot something

I forgot to mention that this is going to be a wedding present. She wanted me to put thought into it or something like that. So I figured she would appreciate me giving her a chance to share in my favorite past time.

Thanks for all the input

I forgot to mention that this is going to be a wedding present. She wanted me to put thought into it or something like that. So I figured she would appreciate me giving her a chance to share in my favorite past time.

Thanks for all the input
This might be different for you and your fiancé, but if I had given my wife golf discs as a wedding present I would have stuck with supersoft putters. I figure those would not hurt as much when she whacked me over the head with them. :D

recommendend weights for starting women and children are around 150G. the best ones are Leopard (driver) shark (midrange) and aviar (putter). discgolfcenter has great prices and free shipping.

Thanks for all the input

don't forget the fruity colored:D FADE bag to go along with that.

happy wedding.
God loves the invitation to the ceremony, dont forget to invite him to the marriage as well. He made the difference in my marriage.:)

Thanks for all the input. After referring back and forth to this forum and the DGC website here is the final order.

1 - Cheetah (DX, Standard, 163, Pink)
1 - Goblin (DX, Standard, 150, Pink)
1 - Leopard (Pro, Standard, 165, Pink)
2 - Magic (Soft) (S-Series, Standard, 150, Pink)
1 - Lightning Starter Bag (10-12 Green)

She loves pink so I was trying to find discs that came in pink.

Thanks again!

NO SEX FOR 18MONTHS!!!!!!

Thanks for all the input

OH MERCIFULL HEAVEN! ARE YOU SAYING THAT SHE WANTS YOU TO COME UP WITH A GIFT FOR HER ON HER WEDDING DAY, AND YOU ARE GOING WITH DISCS?! I PRAY THAT YOU HAVEN'T GOTTEN MARRIED YET!

Ok my friend, I don't mean to insult you but that doesn't sound like a good idea. Let me tell you a lil story about my experience in a similar, less sensative, situation.
My live in GF, about 6-7 years ago, had been mentioning how badly she wanted a new vacuum for months. We were out and about one day and she saw one that cost $400 and said "Oh, I really want that one!" I told her "No, we can't afford it!" However, it was close to X-mas so I bought it for her as a surprize gift from the Jolly Fat Man. I wrapped up and stuck it under the tree, then X-mas morn, we opened our gifts. Holy hell, was she pissed! She told me how insensative and thoughtless of a gift it was. She asked me "What am I your F@%#in Maid!?" Unfortunately, I didn't get laid until my next birthday! Oh ya, and we broke up a week after my B-day!:D

Take it from me, unless she is super open minded and the coolest chick in the world, (or you are marrying Julianna Korver), DO NOT GO WITH DISCS!!

I hope you get this in time to save your pecker.

Good luck buddy!

This might be different for you and your fiancé, but if I had given my wife golf discs as a wedding present I would have stuck with supersoft putters. I figure those would not hurt as much when she whacked me over the head with them. :D

God I hope this guy gets this in time! And why is noone else getting the volatility of this sutiation 3p?! Are you married? Is this guy heading straight to Divorce Court or what?! :eek:

Your wife sounds very understanding. I don't think mine would have been aiming that far "north" had I done that.

when i have someone come with me that has never played before i always give them a Omega Super Soft and a DGA Squall. just seems like every new player i give the squall too stops getting discouraged. it has a very friendly flight for players that don't have a lot of snap.

Latest posts