• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discs for beginners

i agree. as much as i want to see every supportive couple out golfing together i think in this situation golf discs is a bad choice. it wouldn't be a bad gift if it was part of the gift, just not the whole thing. because really your giving her something that you want of her, not something that she wants.

my thoughts would be a couple of discs as part of the gift to show that you want to share your most fun activity with her. but to also include some other activity gift that is either something she enjoys that she would want to share with you, or something that neither of you have tried and she has expressed interest in.

This guy hasnt logged in since Dec. 22nd, I think we all know what happened. :(

Ya, this guy is in sexual purgatory. I wish I coulda been a fly on the wall for that gift exchange!!!! lolololol!

I went with the innova starter pack at first, and yes I'm glad I started with a 150 leopard and 150 shark. But, I don't care what innova says or how they package it....the 150g dx aviar p&a is horrible.

putters in 150 class are only good for touch putts from 20' or less. other than that they suck.

This might be different for you and your fiancé, but if I had given my wife golf discs as a wedding present I would have stuck with supersoft putters. I figure those would not hurt as much when she whacked me over the head with them. :D

God I hope this guy gets this in time! And why is noone else getting the volatility of this sutiation 3p?! Are you married? Is this guy heading straight to Divorce Court or what?! :eek:
Yeah, this kinda slipped under the radar at the time. If he is like 99.99% of guys I know, he started thinking of this about three days before the wedding, so it was probably too late to save him anyway.

When I got married we didn't open the presents until the next day. With any luck they did that as well, so he would have gotten one night of marital happiness.

I am in deed married. I made my first fatal error during the proposal. I was in the middle of trying to propose and flubbing it up when my then-girlfriend said "I'm hungry. Let's go get something to eat." So we went to Bob Evans for lunch. While we were at lunch she said "So, what were you talking about before?" Instead of processing the perilousness of my situation and saving the proposal for a more appropriate setting, I just sort of blurted it out. At that instant, I forever became the guy who thought a Bob Evans was a sufficiently romantic location for a proposal. I am reminded of that fact every time we pass one on the highway.

On a positive note, I did survive to get married. I have also survived some other learning moments like "never give kitchen appliances as a gift," "never hesitate when your wife asks 'does this make me look fat?'" and "when you come home from work and your wife is laying on the couch in a leather corset, fishnet stockings and high leather boots, never glance at her and say 'Whats for dinner, Batman?'" So there is hope that all is well.

"when you come home from work and your wife is laying on the couch in a leather corset, fishnet stockings and high leather boots, never glance at her and say 'Whats for dinner, Batman?'"

That is the funniest thing I have read in a long time....thanks you made my night.

LOLOLOLOfukinL!!!
I bet that Batman thing twisted her nips somethin fierce!!! Great proposal story! I'm sure you will never live it down! When is your anniversary, I'll send you some gift certificates.

My set had an XD instead of the Shark. I'm don't think it was an "official" set though because the discs came loose from MarshallStreet.com

I would say driver Leopard, Mid stingray, putter Magic. I'll leave the weight choice and plastics up to you. Though I would say 150g discs, but dependent on her strength anything up to 160 or 165 could work. If not a leopard maybe get a 150g Archangel.

Distance, fairway, putter
or
Distance, mid range, putter
or
Distance, fairway, mid range like a Shark or Spider. No putter.

Or get one of each range.

For me, I'm finding I like the discs with the straighter flight paths on the chart.

And start with DX if you want the most price friendly entry. They're real discs, not junk. You won't have to replace them after only a few months due to out growing them. I suspect mine won't be retired until I've beat them to death against trees, and hopefully by then I'll be skilled enough to avoid those at least a little better. I find my distance drivers take the worst beatings.

Get her a Sonic a Polecat or a Rattler. Don't worry about the weight on those and only get her one. ONE. My wife used to play with me before she became pregnant. she only liked throwing one disc and couldn't putt. the discs listed are most "frisbee like" of all out there and anyone can throw them without much hassle. I think your fiance/wife just wants to spend time with you outside (so she doesn't have to smell your farts.)

EDIT: almost all beginners don't really get the idea of separate discs for putting. It's best to get them started on a disc that is like a catch frisbee because they have zero concept of form but can toss a frisbee. I also suggest getting her only ONE disc because she may try it once and never do it again.

Last edited:
eh I don't care. I still stand behind what I said as general absolute beginner advice.

This might be different for you and your fiancé, but if I had given my wife golf discs as a wedding present I would have stuck with supersoft putters. I figure those would not hurt as much when she whacked me over the head with them. :D

I lol'd

Keep the thread goin ;D

Latest posts