• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discs for Kids

Benttreedg

My son will turn 6 next month and he loves Disc Golf. He throws at the prsctice basket in the back yard and loves to walk the course with me all though he doesnt play many holes as we go. In the back yard he can throw pretty consistent for about 30-40 feet. Im wanting to get him some discs of his own and im not sure what is best. I assume lite weight understable etc. ANy suggestions? Also if it matters he is a lefty and I am partial to Discraft but will try anything to help get him started on the right foot.
Thanks in advance

Innova makes a few discs for the edge program in really light weights that are great for younger kids.

Try a Latitude 64 Diamond. They are made really light, are nice and understable, and are especially geared towards kids.

I second the Diamond. It is a disc that had kids in mind. You should snag one and have something from Aladdin dyed on it. Then every time he throws it you can go "a diamond in the ruuuuuuuuuuuuufffffffff....." and if he looses it you can blame it on the giant sand tiger head going away.

But again... the diamond.

I worry about the speed of the diamond, but will give it a try. Anyone got one for sale? also Innova is making polecats at 95g anyone else make anything this lite?

I'd keep a six year old away from a driver. Period.

I prefer a large diameter mid in the 130's for kids that young. Innova made 130ish weight Sharks and Gateway makes light weight Elements that are both good for young players. They glide well where a small diameter driver won't on a low-power throw. The Shark also has a good rim for small hands to grip (not so much the Element but it's OK.)

I run a program where we teach kids 8-12 disc golf, and we use light weight Elements. They work really well for us, they don't bail out left on the kids like a driver would and the kids are able to get some good distance with them.

Innova also makes the Wedge which comes in light weights; It doesn't have a large diameter so I have not used it with kids, but it is an option. They made it for the EDGE program, so it should be OK.

The other nice thing about slower discs like the shark or edge is that they work well for throwing and putting, and having a single disc that's pretty effective for all parts of the game is great for kids.

You can do that, it's simpler.

I go with the "reinforce a good habit" theory and we give the kids a putter as well as an Element. My fear in having them do everything with one discs is that they will grow up to be "I putt with my Boss" players. We teach the kids what a putter is and remind them to switch discs when we get in putter range, which for kids is usually 30' but whatever. They are taught that around the basket they use a putter, which to me is a very good habit for a new player to develop. Hopefully that will stick with them.

At any rate, if you are ever looking for a LW Wizard there are a whole bunch of them floating around Rolla, MO. :thmbup:

Discraft ran some 125 gm ESP Buzzzes for kids a year or 2 ago, GottaGoGottaThrow had them (I just checked and they're out now). I'd say that would be a good place to start, if you can dig one up.

I have a 6 and 8 year old. I gave them both light weight (160ish) leopards to throw. My 6 year old actually gets his to flex out and turn over, it is pretty sweet. My 8 year old throws a hyzer with the Leopard.

Upon suggestion from another golfer, to help get my 8 year old to throw a flatter drive, I gave him a DX cro to throw and his hyzer is getting flatter and he is throwing it pretty far, maybe 100 ft. It is max weight just because that is all I had and he doesn't know the difference.

I am just happy to have them out throwing and figure that they will make it work with whatever I give them really. I'm just glad to get them out of the house and away from the Wii!

I'd put in a vote for a Wedge and/or an light XD...possibly a Dart. Those will handle putting and driving, have a relatively comfortable/easy rim for kids to handle, and can be used for a variety of shots. If he can handle something a little faster, maybe a Core or Aurora mid...again, nice rims for kids' hands and good glide.

I bought a bunch of superlight ESP Buzzzs from GGT for my kids about a year ago. They were 125 grams. Work perfect for what you are looking for. Not sure how hard they would be to find now.

I just picked my six year old twins up some Wedges for Christmas. Unfortunately, the cold weather has kept us from trying them out yet.

I was going to get some lightweight XD's but the profile of the Wedge is just a little bit lower (but about the same shape), good for little hands. I wanted to get the ESP Buzzzs but GottaGo was all out.

I figure start with the Wedge, if they really show interest and want to keep going it's a good starting point. Light weight X Buzzz and maybe an Impact after that to round out a kid bag.

I have a brand new 130 E.D.G.E. DX Skeeter which is supposedly THE best disc for small kids to learn to backhand with. If anyone wants it they can have it for $8.00 shipped.

My little brother started playing when I did at the age of 10 (which I'll admit is a far cry from 6 so take this with a grain of salt). He started off using a lighter weight Mako for a driver and a pro dart for a putter. The rationale was that he could use two discs with very similar flight characteristics but still get used to switching between different discs for different shots. He's now 12 and has incorperated a TL into his game. Find something simple and easy and let your kid try new stuff when he thinks he's ready.

I like the suggestion of a very light DX Shark. My 7 year old wants to use discs based on their color or the stamp, just cause he thinks this or that is cool. But, I usually stick a 150 DX Stingray in his hand. My 10 year old is doing well with his Diamond. He forehands it up to about 230' or so. He also tosses a Panther and a 150 Leopard. He has a Kite he likes. For backhands his favorite disc is a Fuse. I got that for my wife but he plays more, and so he carries it. Last time we played he used the Diamond almost exclusively, but that is not the best thing for him in the long run. Too fast I think. Anyway, he also likes to throw rollers and uses the stinger for that.

My daughter plays in the FJ4 (10 and under) division and uses putters, mids and drivers. Her main drivers are a 147g Lat64 Diamond and a 150g D XL. She also used a DX Shark at 150g but was flipping the crap out of it before she lost it in a river. Her distance has been mesured at 231' in a long arm competition.

When she first started she was using a 150g Aviar P/A, a 150g DX Shark, and a 150g XL. The XL was a little much when she started, but it gave us an opportunity to work on form and arm speed when dealing with drivers. We also went through body position and runup in regards to the basket and how the disc acts in flight.

What we've learned is that drivers are ok, just don't teach OAT to get the disc out flat, just build an understanding that this disc will have to be aimed left or right of the target. Mids are better in a little bit of a heavier weight as you get closer to the basket. Skeet or Shark at 150g from a 100' out, and she uses a 162g Ryho any closer than that. Aviars at 150g are great for little arms unless the wind comes up. She use a 165g for those cases, the deal being she needs to make that decision and learn that aspect of the game too.

She is of average build, intelligence, and athletic skill, but she is consitent, consistent, consistent.

There is too much info to post here, if you want to PM me thats cool.