• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discs that share parts?

There are only three parts to a disc mold: core, cavity and stripper. Core is the bottom, cavity is the top and stripper is the rim. There is no such thing as a spacer.

If there are differences, that means they don't share all three parts.:)

I think the "spacer" idea came from the fact that mold piece tooling is supposed to be really expensive. People assumed there was a cheaper way than having two wings (still not saying strippers).

I'm pretty sure, with my background actually building injection molds, I can almost 100% confirm the first two statements (although there might be a way to make a change to the stripper plate to modify geometry that I'm not envisioning. Didn't do a lot with three piece molds. Also, some toolmakers refer to the stripper plate as the "X" plate, if that's easier for you to say ThreePutt) and can definitely confirm that molding pieces are expensive.

Also, some toolmakers refer to the stripper plate as the "X" plate, if that's easier for you to say ThreePutt)
No! It's the wing, it's always been the wing, and I don't really care that I'm wrong. This is the Internet; I'm going to keep calling it the wing piece, readers beware. :|

Actually if I understand this all it's just injunction molding mumbo jumbo; the part of the golf disc we are talking about is the wing (or rim) so it's just calling the industrial part by the part of the golf disc it creates. No harm/no foul.

There are only three parts to a disc mold: core, cavity and stripper. Core is the bottom, cavity is the top and stripper is the rim. There is no such thing as a spacer.

So what makes the nose blunt? Like you can see that the Sentinel nose is blunter than a Classic Cobra, and they have exactly the same parts per rumor.

So there is just a blunt nosed wing (people always say that the Sentinel uses the Cobra wing but God's honest truth I can't see any difference between a Cobra and Roc wing anyway) that they use for a Sentinel and an sharp nosed wing they would use for a Classic Cobra VS using the same wing and having something in between to make the nose blunter when they run Sentinels?

I think the "spacer" idea came from the fact that mold piece tooling is supposed to be really expensive. People assumed there was a cheaper way than having two wings (still not saying strippers).

I'm pretty sure, with my background actually building injection molds, I can almost 100% confirm the first two statements (although there might be a way to make a change to the stripper plate to modify geometry that I'm not envisioning. Didn't do a lot with three piece molds. Also, some toolmakers refer to the stripper plate as the "X" plate, if that's easier for you to say ThreePutt) and can definitely confirm that molding pieces are expensive.

'Spacer' = shim added to cavity or stripper to increase the blunt leading edge at the parting line?

Starfire supposedly shares the same top/cavity as the Wraith and the 10 speed X bottom is shared with the Orc, Invictus, PDx, and Monster(?) as evidenced by the always there flashing present on all the bottom rims + same Innova tooling where the plastic doesn't fill the mold lettering in the same pattern from the core piece mated to it. Orion LS/Orion LF/TDx also share the Starfire/Wraith top and the Orions + TDx seem to have had the same Starfire configuration for the blunter rim. I'm not sure if the Infinite Czar also has the same blunt nose but that is how it has been described.

The only one of these I'd question is the JLS = TeeBird top & Whippet wing.

Not saying it's impossible, but it doesn't feel feel right. TeeBird is somewhat OS, and Whippet is very OS. JLS is a fairly US mold.

Just thinking out loud. Maybe that's not how it works.

I remember reading it somewhere on here I believe, but cannot find it now, that the whippet top is extremely blunt and is what entirely causes its vast overstability. Its wing is more mild and promotes a comfortable grip instead of anything else, since the top does all the work already. The teebird top is much less blunt than the whippet top. Essentially, I think the JLS can be thought of as a teebird that has a milder wing than usual, making it neutral. The Polaris LS also uses the Whippet wing, but with the Cheetah top instead of the Teebird.

If you get good images of the side profiles of the discs, you can see the parting lines, which define the top of the mold and the wing of the mold. It is interesting seeing how differently shaped the tops/bottoms can be sometimes.

Absent someone working in production for one of the manufacturers chiming in, jakebake is the only one with actual plastic molding experience posting here.

With that said, the idea of the nose spacer always seemed plausible to me. Where I work, we have a number of tools that have inserts to allow us to run a slight variation without investing in a whole new tool. We do that alot for the die cast parts, but there are a few examples of plastic injection molded parts done that way too. I don't really understand how it works (I'm just the guy who asks why it costs so much).

Absent someone working in production for one of the manufacturers chiming in, jakebake is the only one with actual plastic molding experience posting here.

With that said, the idea of the nose spacer always seemed plausible to me. Where I work, we have a number of tools that have inserts to allow us to run a slight variation without investing in a whole new tool. We do that alot for the die cast parts, but there are a few examples of plastic injection molded parts done that way too. I don't really understand how it works (I'm just the guy who asks why it costs so much).

I'll definitely admit these types of molds weren't something our shop had a lot of, and the ones we had didn't have modular parts. A ton of our standard molds had interchangeable inserts as you describe, for a litany of changes using a single mold. I'm just struggling to envision where you'd attach some kind of spacer on the stripper to achieve that different geometry without having to just use a totally different insert. Which is what I'd assume it was, meaning it's a different mold part. But Im not 100% positive.

I wish I still worked there, I'd already have an answer for you guys.

I always understood the idea of making a variation of a mold but with a spacer as making actual new molding pieces, but making them larger.

For example the Rocx3 is just the Roc3 but with a thicker rim. It feels like the added a spacer to the bottom molding piece, in actuality they probably made a whole new bottom molding piece, just making it a little higher.

Anyone want to speculate if this "new" disc shares parts, or is it an original mold? Looking at those flight numbers, looks to be pretty interesting

Galleon
Maybe Anhyzer top (Infinite reviewer mentions a 'thumbtrack') and some other bottom - viper or banshee? I haven't seen a profile view but there was some discussion & a video from a team member testing it in the Infinite Discs collectors/thrower FB page. People there mentioned the Griffin sharing the same PDGA specs but I don't know how keen Innova is on bringing back very old mold pieces that have been retired/OOP for a while. One of the Infinite team members there said it was a tester run to see if its a feasible mold to release.

The recently approved Millennium ES1 (Experimental series 1) may be a similar 'new mold' combination mashup of existing mold parts. Seems like the Millennium team FB tester video I saw they weren't sure what the flight would be which indicates it likely wasn't a former Innova or Discmania mold combo.

From what I understand, The Westside Sorcerer is the bottom of a Lat 64 Bolt, with the top of a WS World...

Back to the whole spacer/no spacer discussion, if they were using a spacer, wouldn't discs made with a spacer have flashing in at least one additional ring?

I'm assuming that wherever mold pieces meet, some flashing results. So, the spacer should result in an additional meeting of mold pieces and more flashing.

I definitely don't really know what I'm talking about, but it seems to make sense.

Small Diameter Innova mid's are kind of a game to figure out.
DIscmania had the GM, which was also known as the Innova Gremlin.
Add a spacer to it and it became several other discs that are still around.
It's also a disc with an x, and an l bottom. As an x it is the Gator, and with the l, it's a Panther.