• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance Driver for 250 foot RHFH

As a RHFH player, I don't throw much farther than the guy in question. I mainly use a 12x champ teebird. The buzz go's almost as far but that's another story. I use slower speed discs in different plastics to get different lines but they overlap a lot. DX/champ, X/Z. It all comes down to finesse and practice. (which I sorely need more of) I am not willing to throw out my arm to be better. Accuracy can succeed over distance.

I throw RHFH and max out at about 350 with some that go farther with a good strong snap. I'm 47, and I will list my bag and distances each disc gets with a hard snap...

1. ABC Bee Line - 350 to 400
2. DD Freedom - 325 to 375
3. DD Trespass - 300 to 350
4. Innova Roadrunner - 250 to 300
5. Mvp Amp - 250 to 300
6. Star Eagle - 225 to 275 (I can throw this farther RHBH)
7. DD Felon - 200 to 250

I don't flick midranges so none are listed. Also a disc that works great backhand might not be so good forehand and vice versa.

As a RHFH player, I don't throw much farther than the guy in question. I mainly use a 12x champ teebird. The buzz go's almost as far but that's another story. I use slower speed discs in different plastics to get different lines but they overlap a lot. DX/champ, X/Z. It all comes down to finesse and practice. (which I sorely need more of) I am not willing to throw out my arm to be better. Accuracy can succeed over distance.

Actually, with good form you have less stress on your limbs and you need less power. For example you will have less knee problems down the line when you turn on your heel instead of your toes. Same goes for shoulders, ellbows etc.

Play smart.

Actually, with good form you have less stress on your limbs and you need less power. For example you will have less knee problems down the line when you turn on your heel instead of your toes. Same goes for shoulders, ellbows etc.

Play smart.

I fully agree. When I do it right, there is no pain. Even with multiple rounds on long courses like Stafford lake that require a bit of hiking. Trouble is when I don't play for a while, I try too hard. I've learned to just go easy. Seen others get hurt trying too hard on a funny shot early on in a round too often. Relax. When you do it right there is no pain.

As an aside, I would also recommend the Discraft XL for lighter folks with my kind of distance.

When I'm playing well, I only get sore legs. When I'm playing poorly, I come home with a sore arm. The sore legs are the good kind of sore, the arm not so much. My body gives me pretty accurate playing tips.

Exactly. I backpack and never minded the legs. Watching my younger brother throw his arm out on hole two when we're playing two rounds was not so cool. He got back in on like the twelfth of the second turn but that's a long hike without even playing. A man's got to know his limitations....

HA - I read the very first post and thought he was talking about me.
right hand forehand and only throws about 250
although the "although" got me, I'm 61 and just started 2 years ago, BUT - I throw a Wraith.

The good thing is MY 250 keeps growing in length so I know I have not topped out,even at my advanced age. I DO get bothered when I see articles saying it's a sport played by 10 to 65 years old. Means I only have 4 years left! :-(

WOW - not that I read the thread I come away with a few things.

1. way way to much testosterone at some points
2. I laugh when people brag how far they can throw - big deal. Can you hit the side of a barn?

Believe it or not, not everybody who plays is looking to perfect their form and put in hours of field practice. Some people actually do this for fun. Who woulda thunk it?

So true.

The OP did not say how long the guy has been playing - 15 years? 2 years? 15 years yea - look at form. 2 years he is still learning what works, what does not. Plus KNOWING good form does not mean HAVING good form. Brain and body do not always talk to each other.

HOWEVER - now that I got that off my chest - the discing down thing intrigues me! What would be the advantage of discing down. What new theory's coming into play.

WOW - not that I read the thread I come away with a few things.

1. way way to much testosterone at some points
2. I laugh when people brag how far they can throw - big deal. Can you hit the side of a barn?

So true.

The OP did not say how long the guy has been playing - 15 years? 2 years? 15 years yea - look at form. 2 years he is still learning what works, what does not. Plus KNOWING good form does not mean HAVING good form. Brain and body do not always talk to each other.

HOWEVER - now that I got that off my chest - the discing down thing intrigues me! What would be the advantage of discing down. What new theory's coming into play.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11552

Great 1316 posts for one simple question LOL Thanks - that's a big help :)

You would THINK that a statement of - disc down to increase speed would have something less then 1316 posts to answer the question. What is the theory.

Last edited:
Discing down is better advice for backhand. I don't find distance drivers any harder than mids to get a good hit on forehand.

The Theory for discing down is basically X disc, say a putter, has Y amount of distance potential with proper form and until you can hit that distance with the lower speed disc, your form and speed are off. The higher speed/distance potential of the disc, the better/faster your arm needs to be to reach next said level. It's not that you can't get more distance out of a 13 speed disc than out of your putter, but you are doing it in a way that actually hurts your form for your slower discs and as your arm speed increases, will also hurt your form with faster discs.

All that to say, discing down is usually advised for BH, as stated above. FH's unique form may or may not benefit from it. Although, learning to FH a Buzzz and Stalker well did help me overall initially, so there may be something to it.

50 yrs old here, and similar distance. I throw RHBH and RHFH. My best distance tends to be FH, occasionally reaching around 300', but usually 220'-260'.

Best discs for me FH are:
150g Champ TB (has a 6g DiscBeeper on it)
165g Star TL
150g StarLite TB
169g N Amp (I believe that it is a 1st Run)
169g N Shock

The following used to be very good for me FH, are still very good for me BH, and are very good FH IF my form is clean and I dial back my throw a bit, though I now often flip them:
146g StarLite RoadRunner
139g StarLite Valkyrie
169g N Volt (also 1st Run)
139g Blizzard Katana (I keep this around for longer throws near or over water, since it floats)

The MVP discs (Amp, Volt, and Shock) work for me as they were lighter, but still, I can't wait to get hold of a Volt and an Amp in the new, lighter Fission plastic. I do also recommend a 150 class Star Leopard.

Last edited:

Take your bag out to a field and forehand everything from drivers down to putters and see where your throws turn to $hit. Is it the understable discs, the putters or mids? Then just throw those that you couldn't throw well a little bit until you can consistently follow through and get a nice flight from them. Now repeat that nice new throwing form on your drivers and see if you notice an improvement.

You don't need a monster overstable disc to throw a nice forehand. A nice smooth and easy throw with an Eagle or Valkyrie may amaze you after just a little time in a field. When you can easily hyzer flip an Eagle or Teebird out to the same distance that you had been previously torquing that overstable monster with before, your body will thank you, it will last longer and feel a lot better while doing it.

For what i's worth, I'm 54 and at the beginning of last year I could only forehand to get out of trouble, now I can forehand every disc in my bag (putters can still be wobbly at times) and the advantage is that I don't need as many discs to do special turnovers or annies anymore. It's nice carrying fewer discs!

One thing I have learned the hard and expensive way is that I like the 164ish weight disc but those are hard to find even in Madison so if I really want a disc I have to order it online.

the 170+ discs just seem heavy and clunky for my arm. I'm just glad I'm at a point where I can see a difference now.

Early fade on Wraith, turns over a Beast. I think Orc is good choice in-between those. Someone who already throws Beasts will find the Orc feels similar but will fade a little more.

Still, I agree with others on the form issue, I believe decent form on a forehand ought to allow for good control of an understable disc. Put a little hyzer on it.

The 150's class Fission Photon is perfect for a 250 foot FH. It will likely add distance, feels great with the FH grip, and sails away more effortlessly because of the enhanced GYRO and light weight. I know I recommended the Insanity earlier in this thread, but that was before having the pleasure of tossing the Photon.

I too am over 50 & have gotten more distance by dropping down in weight. Lately I've been getting about 320 with a 150 ESP Nuke. **Note my throwing style**

He needs to change his form. Your best option is to tell him that continually throwing with his current form will cause pain, and can actually cause injury. As for a disc, try something like an eagle, TL, SL, or Valkyrie. Other brands have comparables. Something in that speed range with some high speed turn but also enough stability to hold some torque. Going to a midrange or the trusty comet will just frustrate someone who is already unwilling to change.

Latest posts