• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance from slower discs?

Pirate35

I typically throw a distance driver on any hole that is at least 300 feet. I will throw a boss most often and it has such a hard finish to the left. It works ok if there is an open fairway and I can play it to the right to have it finish left towards the basket, but what if the fairway is narrow? I see so many people throwing a leopard 300 feet and getting it to go dead straight! I've tried taking a slower disc and doing the same but I throw it and it takes off to the right every time I try to get some real distance out of it. Just not sure how to get those long control shots with a slower disc.

The technique normally used to get slower discs out further on straighter lines is called a Hyzer Flip.

I suggest throwing some putters, mids, and fairways like the Leopard which are understable and figure out how to make them fly to the left, straight, and to the right in a controlled manner. As you get control over the feel for the different shots with the same discs (hyzer, straight, anhyzer, hyzerflip etc) you will be able to throw those discs further on those same lines with practice of proper technique-- and that's a entire different discussion really which parallels with what you are trying to achieve.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/tips.shtml

Last edited:
The technique normally used to get slower discs out further on straighter lines is called a Hyzer Flip.

I suggest throwing some putters, mids, and fairways like the Leopard which are understable and figure out how to make them fly to the left, straight, and to the right in a controlled manner. As you get control over the feel for the different shots with the same discs (hyzer, straight, anhyzer, hyzerflip etc) you will be able to throw those discs further on those same lines with practice of proper technique-- and that's a entire different discussion really which parallels with what you are trying to achieve.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/tips.shtml
/thread

...with practice of proper technique-- and that's a entire different discussion really which parallels with what you are trying to achieve.
I'll say what Aim is eloquently avoiding saying about technique here...

In order to get your Boss to 'predictably' finish to the left, it's likely that you're rolling your wrist and/or torquing your body to the right to get the disc to fly on the line you want. That will work for overstable discs like a Boss, but as you're discovering, that form technique won't work with more neutral discs like a Leopard or a neutral midrange. Additionally, using that form to compensate for a lack of getting the disc up to speed (which will help the disc to fly straight) is training a poor form habit that will keep you from being able to throw more neutral discs straight since your tendency is to throw to the right in anticipation that the disc will come back to the left.

I'd echo the suggestion that you play some rounds with a slower, more neutral disc (midrange or fairway driver) and really concentrate on throwing those discs straight out, trying to eliminate the wrist roll. This will help you to develop a proper form which is one of the main foundations for longer distance overall.

Latest posts