• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance question

DGchamp

Par Member
When throwing flat for maximum distance should I hold the disc up by my chest or at my stomach? I have been trying to throw at my stomach, but then I saw the beto driving video. I tried throwing it at my chest, but it felt awkward and I kept releasing it on an anhyzer. Do I just need more practice?

I had videoed my practice shots a couple days ago and noticed that I was pulling across my diaphragm. I went back and reviewed the Form Analysis threads and videos and a lot of the thoughts were it should be across the pecs. Today practicing I pulled across the pecs and improved my distance about 25 feet. For me I was able to get the elbow extension better. Also, I was standing up straighter on my reach back. Before I had my chin way past my rear ankle, today my chin was above or just inside my foot. It's amazing what a difference a couple of little things make.

I think it depends what kind of disc you are throwing. Understable discs should be pull from lower and over stable from higher. There is a disccraft video that touches on this. I am not sure if this is true as it also seems everyone has their own style. I am not a pro so my comment may noy be correct but from what ive noticed and seen it seems to be the case.

When throwing flat for maximum distance should I hold the disc up by my chest or at my stomach? I have been trying to throw at my stomach, but then I saw the beto driving video. I tried throwing it at my chest, but it felt awkward and I kept releasing it on an anhyzer. Do I just need more practice?
Well a flat throw is prone to angle issues and not ideal for distance lines. You probably need to get your balance on your toes more. The disc you are throwing might be an issue as well.

I throw a starlite roadrunner for max D, and a dx valkrie for a tighter pattern.
Flat? Maybe if you are maxing out at 300'. Those discs are pretty understable and will need hyzer release angle to go further.

Best thing you can do is tell these guys your distance and post video. Those discs will basically roll with more than 300' of power so I'd guess you aren't throwing much farther than that.

I think it depends what kind of disc you are throwing. Understable discs should be pull from lower and over stable from higher. There is a disccraft video that touches on this. I am not sure if this is true as it also seems everyone has their own style. I am not a pro so my comment may noy be correct but from what ive noticed and seen it seems to be the case.

On the video, Scott Papa of DisCraft says that a person is more prone to errors when throwing the disc lower.

However, I've learn to go back to the basics. Unless you have some type of howitzer for an arm or your form and technique are spot on, then leave the speed 12+ drivers for the big boys. I have went back to just throwing my Fairway Drivers: TeeBird3, FD, TeeBird, Eagle, TL, Leopard and learn correct form. I will occasionally break out my Pro SL (speed 10) and bomb it 300-325, but that is as fast a driver that I currently throw. I am trying to break my G-Star Wraith (speed 11) into my bag, but my SL is my main Distance Driver for now. I can launch my Fairway Drivers anywhere from 225-300.

And keep coming back to the website. Every time that I have a problem and pose the question, I get soooooooooooooo many good tips that the only thing that I can do is get better. So keep throwing, keep watching videos, keep asking questions and NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Last edited:
I am kind of wondering about this too...I think I may be pulling a bit too low like near my diaphragm.

Is the ~90 degree arm to spine angle pretty typical for best leverage?

And to OP, you would be best served starting another technique thread with your form video as there are likely some other very crucial things preventing you from throwing a bit further.

The best in person advice I ever received was from this man right here. Try to stand over a parking block in a nice athletic stance and pull straight through or very slightly upwards angle. Always keep your head on the same angle without moving it until the disc is released. A good way to practice this is, when the sun is out, try putting a penny on the ground and looking at the shadow of your head and pulling through. If your head moves during the pull through, you are losing power and accuracy. This came straight from John Kirkland.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dDi671m-T7U

I am kind of wondering about this too...I think I may be pulling a bit too low like near my diaphragm.

Is the ~90 degree arm to spine angle pretty typical for best leverage?

And to OP, you would be best served starting another technique thread with your form video as there are likely some other very crucial things preventing you from throwing a bit further.
It's more like 70-80 degree through the power zone and finish, the arm should be lower than your shoulder. I start the swing a little lower to swing through my center of gravity and my center lowers during the throw so it keeps it more level. Turning your spine fast enough, the arm will naturally rise and extend from your side from the centripetal force pulling it away from your shoulder socket.

Latest posts