• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance Question

arastis

I am RHFH. I usually drive with a 175g star valk. My drives go pretty straight and usually in the 300-350'range. I was wondering if using a different disc, but with a similar stability to a valk, if I would be able to increase my distance? If so, what disc? I am considering a surge ss. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

350' FH is pretty good and maybe hard to get much more distance. I've got a big arm and my farthest FH on a football field was 375' with my 175g Star Boss. I can get decent distance 325-350 from my Star Monarch and Roadrunner with a FH hzyer-flip with less effort, but control can be an issue. I prefer my Star Xcals 172-175g for FH distance and accuracy around 350'. The Surge SS is going to be pretty similar to the Valk.

Learn Backhand if you want more distance. I think the record for FH is around 500', but the backhand record is 820'!

The Beast is faster with similar flight ratings.

That's not bad distance really. Most holes are in that distance range. The key is if you can throw accurately at that distance. If you want to change anything, you could try a lighter weight Valkyrie. That might give you a little extra distance while retaining similar flight characteristics. Overall though, I would work on accuracy over distance.

great advice all around here..imo, you will get more distance with a more stable/faster disc(you are already using max weight)..from beast go to wraith, teebird, and on up...i throw a monster or ce eagle for max d on forehands now..try the boss but i found it unpredictable and the rim is too wide for me..but then again, you are way beyond most if you are 350' forehand..learn a backhand!! do you throw forehand rollers as well? try those..great shots for "trouble" holes

I'd caution against making too big a leap as far as speed ratings go. The Valk is rated 9 I believe and the Beast is 10. Midnightbikers advice is sound as the beast should be the next logical progression. A big jump to a real speedy disc like a Groove may prove to be too much as it will seem much more stable than the Valk. Just my .02

Many people would be happy to be where you are at--I commend you for looking to take it to another level. I just started throwing a Pro Destroyer again (RHFH) and am having a very good results. Always looking for more D is a sickness that there is no cure for :)

Keep at it

I'd caution against making too big a leap as far as speed ratings go. The Valk is rated 9 I believe and the Beast is 10. Midnightbikers advice is sound as the beast should be the next logical progression. A big jump to a real speedy disc like a Groove may prove to be too much as it will seem much more stable than the Valk. Just my .02

Many people would be happy to be where you are at--I commend you for looking to take it to another level. I just started throwing a Pro Destroyer again (RHFH) and am having a very good results. Always looking for more D is a sickness that there is no cure for :)

Keep at it

Yeah I wasn't thinking of going up too much. I've tried other people's high speed drivers (destroyer, groove, force, etc.) and I dont think I have the power to throw these. I am thinking of trying a surge ss, beast, orc, or just a lighter valk. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Yeah I wasn't thinking of going up too much. I've tried other people's high speed drivers (destroyer, groove, force, etc.) and I dont think I have the power to throw these. I am thinking of trying a surge ss, beast, orc, or just a lighter valk. Thanks to everyone for their help.
+
+
Try the Beast. Its a faster Valk. I don't have a big arm either, and it works great for me.

"What plastic and weight are your beasts?"

171 Champ. FH Hyzer flip or turnover. Gotta be careful or else it becomes an unintended roller.