• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Diversity in the bag?

I also started out with all Innova, but I also throw Discraft and Gateway now. It's all about whatever works best for the thrower because in most cases, it's not the instrument but the musician.

Cool! I am a musician. I always wanted to play tunes. Thanks. By the way, how many musicians use ****ty old, out of tune instruments?

Thanks everybody! Glad to hear that I what I kinda reached on my own is basically how the game is played =)

I have Innova, Discraft, MVP, and Gateway in my bag. I obviously don't have any brand preference.

When I first started I threw only innova, because its hard to find any discraft around me, and impossible to find anything else. Then I found my buzzz and fell in love. I knew then I had to try some other brands. Right now, actually, since I've disced down, I'm only throwing gateway and discraft, because I stuck to innova drivers for so long, but used discraft mids.

It is kind of a regional thing I think, where one company has a little bit more following in one area. Also availability of discs at a local store as well. Personally, whatever disc works the best for me is what I throw.

I own something from almost every brand, I like something from almost every brand.

I carry about half Discraft, half everything else.

Actually at the moment it's like 50% Discraft, 30% Innova, 20% Gateway/MVP/Lat 64.

Gotta play around with some more PD's and get them to the point I'm totally comfortable with them...I do like them though, as well as the DD. And the TD as well to be honest.

\/\/

All in my bag. Use whatever works for you, and don't get too hung up on who makes it. Loyalty in this case, sucks.

My thoughts exactly. You're shorting yourself if you don't try everything that you can.

On most any course I usually carry:

3 - Inova
2 - Millenium
2 - Gateway
1 - Discraft
1 - Lightning

Of course with this eclectic bag I also have to stock many spares.

But as far as maker diversity in the bag, is there some sort of stigma against having both Innova and Discraft in the same bag?
You might find some people that swear by one brand or think throwing a mixed bag is bad, but you'll also find people who think throwing overhand or throwing rollers is bad. As you're finding out, most people who have thought about it objectively end up with a mixed bag.

Is there some sort of advantage to sticking with the same producer? Such as a familiar grip or more similar paths of flight between discs?
The only one I can see is if you have a preference for a specific plastic, but IMO most of those differences aren't big enough to warrant throwing inferior discs. I'd just judge each disc on it's own and throw the discs that are the best regardless of manufacturer.

Cool! I am a musician. I always wanted to play tunes. Thanks. By the way, how many musicians use ****ty old, out of tune instruments?
Not many, but I bet Eric Clapton could use a crap guitar, like a poorly tuned Squier Strat, or a Walmart First Act, and still make it sound better than most of us. I think that's the idea he was going for.

i'm not brand loyal, but i follow the philosophy of "easiest to replace" as my bag has been fine tuned and locked in place. When i lose a disc, i know the exact replacement. I've done tons of experimentation so i have a good idea of what i need...

I have found that each company has their own plusses and minuses and can be used to fine tune your game accordingly.

(from my observations, please comment or update as necessary)
Innova: Largest. Most diverse product line.
Strengths - Offers the most "complete" coverage of all companies. Easiest to find, good products and industry standard.
Weaknesses - Overall, none..... there are a few production issues (weight, inconsistencies) but i am not convinced that this isnt a bunch of DG Geeks being hyper critical and normal for a production facility of their size. Slight inconsistency issues from year to year (again see Geek Theory).

Discraft: Second Largest. Makes good "compliments" and substitutions for the Innova baseline /industry standard.
Strengths: Discs tend to be ready "off the shelf" with little breaking in period. (maybe it's me) but their products seem to be a faster version of an existing Innova disc. (eg. Firebird -> Predator)
Weaknesses: (IMHO) Decent product line, but only a few great discs. Can be more difficult to replace lost items. (From observation) One half season, and step, behind Innova; innova makes a new disc, and DC follows 4 months later with something "similar" but different.

Lat64: Europe's version of Innova and Innova's Europe Partner
(I have had limited experience with this manufacturer, but what i have had and the words i've heard are nothing but complimentary!)
Strengths: Make very good useful, fast, long discs.
Weaknesses: <unknown> small sample size..... hard to find?

Aerobie: (Do we really need to discuss the merits of the makers of the Epic and Arrow?)

etc....
i cant really comment on other manufacturers...
MVP: Young company, flagship product (Ion) has been VERY well received.

Discmania: Innova's bastard sub company. when you want a disc Innova didnt think they could make money on, or wants to experiement with....

Gateway: Heard a few positive things... Dont they make the driver with the dimples? (weird indeed)

none-the-less...
i have no preference as i want to win. I'll play with whatever disc makes me best. It just happens that i tend to be an innova player... Every manufacturer has their own specialties, but i am not sure that spending the time to fine tune my bag buying and experimenting with so many different companies and possibilities is really in my best interest. I research, pick and choose very carefully when i realize that i need to make a change or try to find a solution to a hole in my game. (usually picking up another disc, at this point, either adds another disc to my bag, or creates a hole somewhere else as i replace an existing disc...)

i've done a very good job of assembling a bag that allows me to throw all shots competatively and fits me very well, but i am not sure that "The Perfect Bag" exists without carrying 30 discs and cluttering your brain (and shot selection) with an overwhelming number of options. (i try to carry 10 +/-).

Last edited:
I have mostly Innova and a couple discraft and gateway discs and i should be adding an MVP Ion to it soon.

The only "diversity" in my bag is my putters. I carry four different putters as follows:

Innova Pro-Rhyno (for long approaches and overstable putts)
Gateway WizardSSS (for hyzer approaches and stable putts as well as straddle putting)
Discraft Soft Challenger Elite-X (mostly for long approaches.... I really havnt caught on to putting with this one)
Millenium Omega Super-Soft (for anhyzer and straight lofting putts)

The rest of my bag is pretty much Innova with the just a couple of Discraft thrown in.

Techno, "only a few great discs"?!
So how many does innova or other companies have? I see them having an about equal number (innova and discraft). Just cause innova has more molds, doesn't mean they gave more great molds.

There seem to be a number of areas of the country that are mostly Discraft or mostly Innova. For example, Dave Greenwell is an Innova sponsored player and has been for... well a very long time. So because of that, the Louisville area is mainly Innova. Huntsville, AL seems to be the same way probably because Lavone Wolfe is down there. Discraft is in Michigan so a lot of the players up there throw Discraft.

My bag is mainly Innova because that's what I started throwing before I knew anything about disc brands. I don't dislike Discraft, it's just that they and Innova make discs that are very similar so I never felt the need to switch it up.

I have a Buzzz in my bag and a Q Sentinel by Millennium (that I occasionally swap out for a Wasp) but the rest is Innova.

I've been to Wolfe's store and you are right all Innova. Last time I was up there they had just added Discmania stuff... but yeah still all Innova :p

Latest posts