• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

do "big arms" use...

fairweather_fan

Eagle Member
do pros and accomplished ams who throw 400+ at will carry anything in their bag btwn a teebird equivalent and their max distance disc (boss, destroyer, force, what have you)? an orc, starfire, wraith, anything?

what do you/they carry?

i appreciate your responses, as i have to prepare for my impending dominance of the sport, at all levels. ;) naw seriously, just asking for theoretical, thought-experimental purposes.

I throw in the 430ish consistantly and I didn't when I tossed TBs. There was a gap in coverage, so I switched to a PD which flies like a TB with and extra 20-30 ft. I ended up dropping my TBs which suprised the hell out of me.

thanks for the responses.

i am figuring "no" is the answer, as if you can pop the teebird (or equivalent, as dgdave pointed out) out to its further reaches, a) you obv. have the arm to get work out of speeds 12+, and b) the situations where you would 'need' the specific length of a speed 8-12-type driver (as opposed to the 'sweet spots' of a speed 7 or speed 13) are few and far btwn and can be successfully negotiated by maxing the teebird or powering down on the d-driver.

if anyone else has input, please chime in!

Last edited:
why dont you just look at the different brand websites and click on their team button and then look at individual pros and see what they have in their bag.
Innova
Discraft
Gateway
you get the point.....

well, i've been kinda surprised as i look through the team pages- apparently if you're under (around) 30, you don't throw much from speed 7-12, but if you're older you probably do. i suppose this isn't that shocking, disc chronology being what it is, but it's been interesting to look at the various disc selections.

I still throw a ton of teebirds. It is much more controllable and if you have the arm, you still can get the teebird out almost as far as the higher speed discs. The 20-50 feet just isn't worth the loss of predictability in many situations. Quite frankly I am going to use a mid whenever I can for the same reason. More control is far more valuable then distance.

BTW...his name is Climo

*EDIT*
(Misunderstood post...not really much to go in between those distances for me)

I still throw a ton of teebirds. It is much more controllable and if you have the arm, you still can get the teebird out almost as far as the higher speed discs. The 20-50 feet just isn't worth the loss of predictability in many situations. Quite frankly I am going to use a mid whenever I can for the same reason. More control is far more valuable then distance.

that's exactly what i'm thinking...if you can put the tbird equivalents out to their max point, i just don't see that many situations (even on the longest courses i am familiar with) where you're looking for something btwn that and a big boy driver.

teebird for president, i guess is what i'm saying. :clap:

just to clarify- i throw a teebird about 300' controlled, repeatable golf distance. i'm in no danger of having to worry about what to put in my bag next...i'm good right where i'm at!

I dont have a big arm...but i keep a viking in there between teebird and teerex/destroyer/xcal

if you don't mind me asking, what do you think you're getting out of the longer discs that you couldn't/can't get out of a teebird equivalent (if you worked to max it out)?

I think Barry Schultz probably carries a beast... don't know how much or when he throws it? That might qualify as an inbetween disc from teebird to "distance drivers". I use it for extra speed and glide without having to throw it real hard.

Nate Doss uses the Avenger, I think that's kind of in the range as well. I just picked my first one up this year in ESP plastic -- so far it's been pretty overstable in it's brand new condition. It's extra speed and stability might work better than a teebird into a strong headwind (10...15+mph). It's very predictable.

i throw a wraith my main driver but i also have a valk for roller turnover and a leopard for striaght and slight annie holes. Boss, firebird, rocs and aviars also and those 7 discs r my bag super simple.

The only high speed drivers I haven't seen in a top pros tourney bag are speed 13 drivers. Though on most technical holes they will be driving with putters, mids, and fairway drivers.

basically you want some overlap in your disc selection.
take for instance my lil diagram (not to scale) here. Your max D driver is one that you can crank out real far but not with the greatest accuracy or versatlity. your control distance driver (teebird-ish type disc) is one that you can drive far with great accuracy, usually not that short of your Max D driver. your fairway driver is an inbetween of the midrange and control driver, not everyone needs or uses this disc. i think yuou get where im going i dont need to talk about mid and putter.
some people may have multiple control drivers (condition dependant) and multiple max D (condition dependant). for example, on windy days one might use a teerex over their wraith for distance. so really it all depends on what you need to be able to cover the range from your putter to your Max D.
44514074.png

P.S. The team websites havent been updated in awhile so their current bags arnt represented but it gives you an idea. on that note why are disc brand sites so far behind in updating regularly? i mean Discraft still has Cam Todd on their team. Isnt he barred from the PDGA or something?

Latest posts