• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

do "big arms" use...

I think Barry Schultz probably carries a beast... don't know how much or when he throws it? That might qualify as an inbetween disc from teebird to "distance drivers". I use it for extra speed and glide without having to throw it real hard.

Nate Doss uses the Avenger, I think that's kind of in the range as well. I just picked my first one up this year in ESP plastic -- so far it's been pretty overstable in it's brand new condition. It's extra speed and stability might work better than a teebird into a strong headwind (10...15+mph). It's very predictable.

I was using Avengers there for a while but I just had to much overlap with my Teebirds. The Avenger has more speed but the Teebird has more glide so it equals out.

Its not about the speed of drivers between teebirds and boss's. Its about stablility. Its more important to have a full range of stability than it is to fill "speed" gaps

I would say most pros carry a fairway and a distance driver, then there's feldberg that probably has 15 discs between his fairway and distance driver ;)

You don't NEED anything in between them. The shots that a tweener disc covers can all be accomplished by either throwing your teebird (or disc like a teebird) on a higher line, adjusting the hyzer angle on your distance driver, or take something off the d driver. If you aren't confident with any of those choices throw a tweener disc....but no you don't NEED one.

Last edited:
basically you want some overlap in your disc selection.
take for instance my lil diagram (not to scale) here. Your max D driver is one that you can crank out real far but not with the greatest accuracy or versatlity. your control distance driver (teebird-ish type disc) is one that you can drive far with great accuracy, usually not that short of your Max D driver. your fairway driver is an inbetween of the midrange and control driver, not everyone needs or uses this disc. i think yuou get where im going i dont need to talk about mid and putter.
some people may have multiple control drivers (condition dependant) and multiple max D (condition dependant). for example, on windy days one might use a teerex over their wraith for distance. so really it all depends on what you need to be able to cover the range from your putter to your Max D.
44514074.png

P.S. The team websites havent been updated in awhile so their current bags arnt represented but it gives you an idea. on that note why are disc brand sites so far behind in updating regularly? i mean Discraft still has Cam Todd on their team. Isnt he barred from the PDGA or something?

Nice chart but when u know a pro or an am who can throw a roc 350 with control basically the fairway driver is out and a putter they can throw 300. A pro is at a different class on there own which is scary but that is y they r pros

Nice chart but when u know a pro or an am who can throw a roc 350 with control basically the fairway driver is out and a putter they can throw 300. A pro is at a different class on there own which is scary but that is y they r pros

Most people who can throw a roc 350 still carry fairway drivers, I'm not sure where you are getting that. Fairway drivers are how you get the next level of distance while still having good control, most pros wouldn't jump straight to a boss on a hole that was a little too long for a roc shot.

You don't NEED anything in between them. The shots that a tweener disc covers can all be accomplished by either throwing your teebird (or disc like a teebird) on a higher line, adjusting the hyzer angle on your distance driver, or take something off the d driver. If you aren't confident with any of those choices throw a tweener disc....but no you don't NEED one.

if this were the case, tiger could carry nothing but his driver, since it covers every distance he potentially needs to hit the ball, from putt to drive. people carry discs that cover the range of distances required so they can throw each disc with *about* the same power on the same line and realize varying yardages. i like smyith's graphic representation of this. personally, i carry fairway drivers (viking, teebird, stalker), control drivers (max, wraith) and distance drivers (destroyer, boss, katana). each does something different and when thrown similarly, they allow me to be much more precise with my distances than if i was trying to power down a boss or really crank on a teebird. but everyone's different, i guess.

did you read the part that said "not to scale"? as in its just a representation. and most pros do throw fairway drivers. even the greatest of all time throws fairway drivers. in years past he used to throw whippets and gazelles but with courses expanding in length those old distance drivers are becoming fairway drivers (ex. teebird).
Ken Climo
Distance Drivers:
2x KC Star Wraith
1x Pro Destroyer
1x EchoStar XCaliber
1x Champion Boss
1x Pro Wraith
1x Pro Starfire
1x Champion Firebird (old Pro stamp)
Fairway Drivers:
3x KC TeeBird
1x CE TeeBird
1x CE TL
1x CE Eagle

Mid-Range:
4x KC Roc
Putt & Approach:
3x KC Aviar
i have friends who can throw their rocs easily 350 and their drives 500 and they still carry fairway drivers. i can put my rocs out 300 and my drives 400 and i still carry fairway drivers. a fairway driver can make and do shots a midrange cant. lets say you have a 300' low ceiling tunnel shot. are you gonna use a roc with on that? or are you gonna take your fairway and put it up there since it can make that 300 on a low tight line?

P.S. The team websites havent been updated in awhile so their current bags arnt represented but it gives you an idea. on that note why are disc brand sites so far behind in updating regularly? i mean Discraft still has Cam Todd on their team. Isnt he barred from the PDGA or something?

Cam Todd came back and they put him on the roster again.

do pros and accomplished ams who throw 400+ at will carry anything in their bag btwn a teebird equivalent and their max distance disc (boss, destroyer, force, what have you)? an orc, starfire, wraith, anything?

what do you/they carry?

i appreciate your responses, as i have to prepare for my impending dominance of the sport, at all levels. ;) naw seriously, just asking for theoretical, thought-experimental purposes.

The longest throwers in the world can put a wraith out over 600 ft if the situation and distance lines appropriate call for it.

So to summarize, those who have been playing for <3 yrs (for the most part)see no reason to carry anything between a Tbird and a Boss. The rest of us realize their potential benefit in the lineup. The OP can decide whose advice to take.

Latest posts