• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do big people have a natural distance advantage?

jpeaslee

Par Member
I know I'll probably get prerubed on this one (tried searching, but I didn't know what else to search than 'fat'), but do bigger people have a more natural advantage when it comes to throwing farther? Being as most of it comes from form and not muscle and that the x step only tacks on a little power (i've heard 10-20%) I wouldn't think that this is the reason why, but my brother (150lbs) says i can double his distance just cause I'm a hoss (250lbs). Any thoughts?

maybe as a beginner, but over time I think the smaller folks have a slight edge. For one, their bodies are smaller/more compact and weigh less. This makes it easier to keep timing and coordination together because there is less to sync together. Also, smaller folks will have to work harder to develop distance through improving their form. This will ultimately lead to better distance, and if nothing else better CONTROLLED distance which is really the most important kind in the end.

No... I wouldnt think its true at all from what I have seen. Its all about form. You can take a guy that weighs about 130lbs, 5' 10" compared to a guy that weighs 225lbs, 6' 3" and they can both throw 500 plus if theyre form is good enough. Or the smaller guy can throw 500 plus while the taller guy cant because his form sucks. Ive also noticed that smaler guys are much quicker with there X-step, which creates more snap and speed when they let go of the disc, making it go further than a bigger guy that moves a bit slower and doesnt quite get the snap on the disc from his X-Step motion.

I will say I think that skinny people with longer arms should throw the farthest with the same level of technique, simply due to the physics of rotation and torque.

It's mostly about form...but size and strength are always an advantage. All things being equal, same form, etc...you throw the same disc as your brother, you should be throwing farther.

A number of my friends played D1 football or basketball....and I can tell you from experience that size and strength makes a difference in the type of distance you can get.

I've got a couple of buddies from the Sudan, and if they come visit this summer, I'll have to get you guys videos of 7 footers (with like 7'6" wingspans) throwing disc...it's pretty amazing despite their lack of experience:)

There are some physical features that will give slight distance advantages, but as long as we're talking about relatively similar builds (as in late teen to adult males or full grown females) and we're not comparing major differences (an adult vs a 6 year old) then the difference in distance you'll see is pretty minor. There's no way you have double the distance potential of your brother unless he has some sort of disability that prevents him from performing proper technique.

I have wondered about this question too. I think more mass does equal more distance even with the variables like wrist pop, OAT, etc.

I've played with one guy that was an out-of-shape 250 lbs+ that appears to use mass to throw his disc further than mine. I am 170 lbs. One friend of mine who is around 280 lbs and athletic bombs a sidearm. He could only play one round because his wrist hurt so bad from bad form. And finally, I played with a buddy who threw javelin in high school (still holds record, I think) and his first time out he could smoke his drives an easy 250 ft. He was only 190 lbs with natural talent.

It depends on how you define big. Once you get into 'real distance', and by that I mean distances of 400' and greater, your power comes from the ability to spin your body around quickly, then drag your arm along with it.

If you take two guys, both 6'3", but one is 270 and the other is 190, then I'm going to say that the 190 lb guys will have the easiest time getting big distance, simply because he can be a lot more nimble, and rotate his body quicker. I've been struggling with this trying to break the 450' barrier, and I'm convinced that I need to shed a few pounds, and work on core muscles, to get there.

well, I'm like 6'4'' and 315. It took me a year of hard work to break 300' with any sort of accuracy.
but I've seen some smaller peeps do it quicker. it's all about form and wrist snap, in all truth, it doesn't have anything to do with a persons size.

Yeah total advantage.

That's why this girl in the middle threw 276' at 10 years old, see how huge she is?

Almost towering over that basket!!

DiscGolfGirl5750.jpg

If you want a disc golf body look at Ken Climo and Jeremy Koling.

Look at Climo's wing span in this picture. I swear when he is walking around his hands are below his knees.

485663233_1bc502a897.jpg

Just look at Avery vs Nikko. They have 2 completely different body types and can both throw farther than 90% of the people who play

^^^lol

The only way I can see a larger person having an advantage is whn you have two people that stong arm their discs.

Oh and the guy that is 5'10" and weighs 130 needs to gain some weight. Im 5'6 125 and im skinny...

Just look at Avery vs Nikko. They have 2 completely different body types and can both throw farther than 90% of the people who play

This is what I was thinking as I read this thread. People of all shapes have equal chance at this game. Just depends on how early you start and how good you want to be. I gotta say that Climo's wing span certainly doesn't hurt him any though. Probably great for leverage. Just a lot of 'arm' to coordinate consistently.

Size definitely DOES matter, and anyone that says anything else is fooling themselves.

Its simple physics. The longer the lever the more force on the swing. Weight isn't going to matter much, but your height and your wingspan will both figure in prominently. Now I'm not saying its everything; I'm 5'6 and I can throw over 400'. But if I were 6' with the same mechanics I would be throwing way way way farther.

I love how tall people claim its not the height, its how you use it. Thats true, but damn I wish I had a few more inches of height to use like I use what I have now.

I definitely have a bigger frame and about 3 or 4 inches height wise (6'2" vs 5'10-11") so its not like I tower over him. He's always been INSANELY athletic and in great shape while i'm a chunky monkey. I think I just have a lot better form then he does. I get my buzzz out to about 300 (after about 6 months of playing) and my wraith about 400-420 (more recently) while i'm not sure if i've ever seen him even break 300'.

We're both of argumentative nature, and he is much more knowlege of kinesthetics and all that junk, but it just sometimes grinds my gears when after i crank one he seriously comments about how he wishes that he had my size so that he could throw farther too. I think he just doesn't like it when I can actually beat him at things other than Hockey.

And big size isn't always better. I have a damn bumpy head and I haven't found too many chicks that are attracted to a gut... at least not desirable chicks. There are pros and cons to almost everything.

Size definitely DOES matter, and anyone that says anything else is fooling themselves.

Its simple physics. The longer the lever the more force on the swing. Weight isn't going to matter much, but your height and your wingspan will both figure in prominently. Now I'm not saying its everything; I'm 5'6 and I can throw over 400'. But if I were 6' with the same mechanics I would be throwing way way way farther.

I love how tall people claim its not the height, its how you use it. Thats true, but damn I wish I had a few more inches of height to use like I use what I have now.

No. It doesn't.

This man can throw 500'
515752460_daf3d4d73d.jpg

discGolf.jpg

If you know how to use your damn body it's size does not matter.

Size does not matter. I can't comment on how much it affects thumbers/tomahawks but that should be the exact same as any other throw. Arm length will help, but body weight will not. I'm 6'0" 145 lbs on a good day, and throw farther than anybody I play with on a regular basis.