• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do Bright Colored Discs Matter?

sillybizz

Course bagger and Bjork super fan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
So many people in this game make sure they buy brightly colored discs so they can find them. I'm not saying this isn't sound reasoning its just that people lose discs and then blame it on the disc color when in reality this isn't usually the case. I've had the same old dark (DARK) red disc that I throw all the time and as soon as I'm looking for it others in my group give me a look like 'I told you so'. Thing is I've never lost this disc in 5+ years of throwing it and most of the time I have to look for it it's because I didn't watch the entire flight of the disc and ending up looking for it in the wrong spot and then eventually found it. I think the only time it really matters is in times of weaning light; dawn/dusk. Seems to me if you search in the correct area you find the disc no matter the color.

It's not that I can't find the dark discs. It's that I spend less time looking for the bright ones, and more time playing disc golf.

Throw pink!

It's not that I can't find the dark discs. It's that I spend less time looking for the bright ones, and more time playing disc golf.

Throw pink!

QFT. The amount of time I've spent looking for black discs (PDGA Membership), green and dark blue discs is time I could have been throwing.

Personal favorite colors: orange, then pink and yellow.

Many of the courses I play have lots of undergrowth and bushes. If a disc lands upright deep in a bush, it is much easier to see a bright pink disc over a green or faded yellow disc.

In Upstate SC a lot of courses have thick undergrowth, typically filled with thorns etc, off the fairway; you REALLY don't want to spend time searching in there if you can help it. There's also usually leaves from several past autumns still on the fairway, and discs love to slide under these. It's also a lot easier to spot brightly colored discs than it is to spot dark ones, ESPECIALLY when the disc is 80%+ covered in dark brown leaves. I'm not saying it's impossible to find darkly colored discs, it's just a whole lot more frustrating versus brightly colored discs, and typically takes longer as well. However, I do bag a cranberry colored TL that has a subtle swirl on the flight plate. I've been frustrated a couple times looking for it, but it looks so cool and flies so great that I'm willing to spend the time looking for it.

So I would say that brightly colored discs do matter, and that it's probably better to have mostly those kinds of discs in your bag because they are much easier to find, but if you find a cool/perfect disc that's darkly colored, go ahead and throw it.

However, the bigger issue to me is tye-dye discs. You have to be really particular about which designs you pick, because some act a lot like camouflage, especially in vines or leaves.

Blue is a good colour as well, at least over here. The only other place that is blue is a lake or sea.

I like it when people searching for discs in a group (for example tournament) keep asking what color it is. It's a round piece of plastic, and there are probably not two of them in the same area. So just keep looking.

But yes, I too buy mainly bright colors.

It makes no difference what color a disc is when I throw courses overflowing with unchecked vegetation and/or blind basket shots. If I can help it I'll only buy, in no specific order of preference, yellow, orange, red, or pink. I'd literally replace one of my colorful discs with one that has a leaf pattern if there is enough urgency though

Blue is a good colour as well, at least over here. The only other place that is blue is a lake or sea.

Shadows are blue, especially when the light filters through greenery.

I just avoid black, clear, or green discs. Anything else seems pretty easy to find in most conditions.

Color blind players typically throw white plus colors that work based on their type of color blindness. Blue, red, pink and orange are colors that can be difficult for them to find in grass.

White is boring, but it is highly visible on most courses, in the twilight or deep shade, and under water. A little problematic on courses with litter problems, and where a there is a lot of exposed quartz, but otherwise pretty visible.

Agreed...especially important to me in tournament/competition rounds. Lost disc penalties are a real buzz kill, particularly after a good to decent throw.

OP might want to try neon colors (yellow-green is great) in "weaning" [sic] light around dawn/dusk. They will glow at that time of day making them easier to find than in full sunlight.

A rare thread where everyone agrees. :thmbup:

My faves are dayglo and hot pink for visibility. But I love the look of white discs, and have more of that color than anything else.

I have mainly orange, yellow, bright red and pink discs. I do have a bright blue Teebird that shows up remarkably well. I've had a few dark discs and really hated searching for them. And I gifted away my black PDGA membership disc as soon as I got it. No way I'm looking for that thing in the shadows.

And don't get me started on playing rounds with guys who only throw dark tie-dye discs...

I lost two yesterday, both were brightly colored. One was a WTF alien abduction, the other was in dense 6-7' thorned vertical weeds and grass and humid and steaming and swarming with bloodsuckers.. 2 of my best discs too! A lighter FAF Star FB and a 1.1 SOLF. Color isn't everything.

My buddy throws a couple prized 11x Teebirds, one is yellow and the other is orange/dyed the color of leaf litter. We spend more time looking for those discs than anything in my bag.

^Yea, sometimes no color is good enough for the thick stuff. Too bad you lost your discs.

Dayglo, pink, and white (in non winter months) are the easiest for me to find. I prefer (bright) red, blue, and white because they're fairly easy to spot and America.

Latest posts