• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do Bright Colored Discs Matter?

Dayglo chartreuse and white. Bright blue and candy red. No tie dye or Ti plastic for me

It's not that I can't find the dark discs. It's that I spend less time looking for the bright ones, and more time playing disc golf.

Throw pink!

Why is it so? Why don't you change it?

When buying/trading discs i go for Pink, dayglo/neon, Chartreuse, and white. Foil/shiny stamps are even better. No earth tones or black. I spent 1 hr looking for my buddies Black Escape he threw into a tree a bit after dusk, it got old quick.

Nothing naturally in East Texas is Pink/Dayglo and round, so it just makes finding them easier than the stupid Green Bolt i throw or the Camo Dyed Eagle. Dumbest dye ever.

Bright orange, pink and light blue are the easiest for me to spot. Most of my bag is bright yellow though. Yellow actually can be tough to spot at times when playing evening rounds. The glare from a low sun can really hide them at times.

No more tye-dye, had one champ teebird that you could lose in the middle of the fairway.

pink is 3/4 of my bag
bright orange also good unless in crazy fall color leaf piles
bright dayglo green tough-ish now as lush summer growth is in effect

more throwing less looking = more fun

I like it when people searching for discs in a group (for example tournament) keep asking what color it is. It's a round piece of plastic, and there are probably not two of them in the same area. So just keep looking.

But yes, I too buy mainly bright colors.

I like to know what color I'm looking for so I can focus on finding that color. By knowing the color you have one more thing to look for besides round and plastic. Then again I also like to know what disc it was and where it was thrown from(I have often helped people find discs as I played through without seeing them throw just knowing what disc and color they threw(and I did it quite quickly.))

Pink is the least common color in nature, so that is why it is the best. My plastic colors rotate with the seasons. Generally, spring/summer gets fluorescent reds, pinks, and blues, fall gets bright greens, and winter gets oranges and yellows.

Bright orange, pink and light blue are the easiest for me to spot. Most of my bag is bright yellow though. Yellow actually can be tough to spot at times when playing evening rounds. The glare from a low sun can really hide them at times.

Yep. I usually try to avoid playing or practicing during sunset because it is so tough to find discs at that time of day.

Far and away the most popular color in the lost and found boxes at our course is yellow, followed by orange, then blue. I'm not sure if that's an indictment of those colors as "easier to find" or proof that a lot of people feel like they'd be easiest to find and thus have a lot of them (and subsequently lose them).

The under-represented colors in the boxes...black, purple, and pink. Again, not sure if it's that they are easy to find so don't get lost or people don't buy them (for different reasons) and therefore don't lose them as often.

Frankly, other than losing discs in water, I think the biggest reason people lose discs is they aren't observant enough to see watch where they went. They see them headed in the wrong direction, turn away in disgust before the disc lands, and then end up looking in the wrong places because they didn't see the ricochet it took or that it punched through the tree they thought it got knocked down by. Bright colors don't help in that regard.

Far and away the most popular color in the lost and found boxes at our course is yellow, followed by orange, then blue. I'm not sure if that's an indictment of those colors as "easier to find" or proof that a lot of people feel like they'd be easiest to find and thus have a lot of them (and subsequently lose them).

The under-represented colors in the boxes...black, purple, and pink. Again, not sure if it's that they are easy to find so don't get lost or people don't buy them (for different reasons) and therefore don't lose them as often.

Frankly, other than losing discs in water, I think the biggest reason people lose discs is they aren't observant enough to see watch where they went. They see them headed in the wrong direction, turn away in disgust before the disc lands, and then end up looking in the wrong places because they didn't see the ricochet it took or that it punched through the tree they thought it got knocked down by. Bright colors don't help in that regard.
They turn away and start complaining about the shot and now you can't see or hear where the disc went.
Keep quiet and listen for tree hits please.

Always stayed away from tie-die. I think they just do those so the noobs have to by a new one every round. Bright colors work great. I moved from Michigan to South Carolina and Even from area to area colors that were easy to find can be hard to spot. Day-glow green in South Carolina can be tricky at times along with red. Back in Michigan I would throw those colors without thinking about much other then fall with the leaves changing.

glow champion plastic (more so when worn in) is one of the worst colors to find (especially on errant shots).... which always ends up being a detriment, because its usually more over stable which makes utility discs like the firebird/gator awesome in glow plastic.

I ended up dyeing some glow discs like my gator to just make them a little easier to spot quicker.

i'm a fan of, HOT PINK, blue, and white. white/glow champ sucks in winter (snow).

when my friend/DG mentor Bobby C gave me one of his Team Stamped Terns I was so happy, but deathly afraid of losing it.

18061466495_d608626bdc_z.jpg

One thing I forgot to mention about dayglow champion style plastic. It is super easy to find if you come back at night with a UV flashlight.

It's not that I can't find the dark discs. It's that I spend less time looking for the bright ones, and more time playing disc golf.

Throw pink!

^ this.
I will give the caveat that what color is easiest to spot can vary greatly depending on:
- your vision... quite literally, not all of us see things the same way.
- the types of courses you play and what the hazards are, grassy, thick brush, deep leaves, water, snow... didffernt colores (and even plastics) are more/less visible in different conditions.
- time of year. What works well in Sping may not work as well in fall or winter.

Last edited:
I prefer hot pinks, uber bright orange, dayglo yellow and bably blue across the widest range of conditions.

FWIW, time to find can make a difference in tournament rounds.

I think the biggest reason people lose discs is they aren't observant enough to see watch where they went.

They turn away and start complaining about the shot and now you can't see or hear where the disc went.

Exactly my point in post one. People *think* the reason they need bright discs is to see them but the vast majority of the time the reason they are searching for one is the reasons above. Glad someone else in this thread knows. :hfive:

post hoc reasoning:

dark discs get lost because they're dark
bright discs get lost because they're really, really hidden

My discs never get lost, because they're on the fairway :rolleyes:

Also, my clear "grass-green" CE Firebird has been in the bag 15 years now :)