• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do discs un-beatin?

attik34

Birdie Member
After a period of not using a disc, does it get more stable?

example: I have a DX cheetah that i used as my primary driver for a long time...I outgrew it and it got beat up and was really flippy...really flippy....i recently tried to throw it after not using it for like a month ...it is noticably more stable...is this a normal thing? obviously after a few throws its going to get back into the broken in point it was at?

This brings me to my next point...should you make sure and throw all ur discs you carry at any certain frequency in order to keep them where you want them?

your form changed not the disc.

You were probably throwing a smooth line, then when you got tired you went back to sloppy form and over torqued it.

Otherwise you are just trolling for a reaction, discs do not magically stable up.

Short answer: no.

The physical characteristics of a plastic disc don't change because it's not being thrown. Most likely what changes is your ability to throw them. Your Cheetah may SEEM more overstable because you're underpowering it or throwing with more hyzer or OAT. As you get used to throwing it again, you throw it more cleanly and it behaves the way you remember.

So the answer to the second question is yes. But not because you need to keep the discs in tune, rather, you need to keep your arm in tune with your discs.

Shouldn't matter, although storage temperatures/humidity/conditions can definitely affect the plastic over time, usually when it gets hot and warpy but i suppose cold could stiffen em up some.

There are countless stories of CE drivers cracking right in half after being pulled out of storage and hitting the first tree.

You can "tune" your discs to give more/less stability by flexing the rim all the way around in one direction or the other. It emulates hitting trees and such without actually throwing them.

Wouldn't recommend it on dx plastic, though, as it would prolly stay warpy. Most ppl do this with newer Champ/Star drivers to make it less stable. But sometimes if you hit a tree and it bends the rim, you can re-tune by flexing the rim (towards the flightplate) to bring back some stability.

your form changed not the disc.

You were probably throwing a smooth line, then when you got tired you went back to sloppy form and over torqued it.

Otherwise you are just trolling for a reaction, discs do not magically stable up.

keep in mind this is happening over the course of a months time >.> And i wasnt playing that entire month...i would agree that i would be tired after that...

I'm also guessing that normally discs don't "un-break in" over time...but with two possible exceptions.

1) Discs that have been in the water for a long period of time.
2) Discs that have changed shape via heat / compression / etc.

Both these situations I have seen - although, funny, not in 100% of the times - discs become more over stable through changing shape. What normally happens is that any dome 'flattens' and thus the disc has more disc under the apparent parting line than it initially did (thus increasing its over stability).

But the OPs scenario seems to be neither of these.

Karl

not unless you have the new 'regen' discs that are all organic plastic that regenerates dings and nicks.. I think it's made by In-new-vo?!?! :D

It doesn't matter, your discs did not get more stable.

I disagree. Many elements can make a disc more stable than they were at a certain beat in point. This may not be true of all discs but certainly is with pro rhyno's.

Example:
1. Take a 5/10 white pro rhyno.
2. Dye it deep dark red. It takes heat and time to do this.
3. Throw it, it is now significantly more stable.

Prerube if you want you can send me two beat to piss pro rhynos and I will send you one back more stable then you sent it to me.:)

I'm considering putting my bag in storage for a year so all my discs become new again!

No, if you've cleaned your form up since you last threw the disc it won't be all wobbletronrollertown when you throw it, thus appearing more stable.

I disagree. Many elements can make a disc more stable than they were at a certain beat in point. This may not be true of all discs but certainly is with pro rhyno's.

Example:
1. Take a 5/10 white pro rhyno.
2. Dye it deep dark red. It takes heat and time to do this.
3. Throw it, it is now significantly more stable.

Prerube if you want you can send me two beat to piss pro rhynos and I will send you one back more stable then you sent it to me.:)

I do one better. Send me 3 beat pro rhynos I'll put them in my magic new machine and send you back one perfectly brand new. Unfortunately, the process takes 4 grams off the weight but it is such a good deal how can you pass it up.

I do one better. Send me 3 beat pro rhynos I'll put them in my magic new machine and send you back one perfectly brand new. Unfortunately, the process takes 4 grams off the weight but it is such a good deal how can you pass it up.

4 grams :gross: - don't start

Does this machine work on women? Newer and lighter might be a good thing. lol

The lake at my local has a lot of plastic going in it, it always comes out less stable than before.
I have never experienced a disc gaining stability.

It's very possible that the DX Cheetah returned to a more "normal" shape after a while. I've taco'ed many a DX/KC Pro Roc and Aviar and if you throw them with the huge crease, they will be flippy. If you bend them back to shape, they regain a remarkable amount of stability. It's not a huge leap to imagine the same thing could happen with your Cheetah to some degree.

It's also very likely that your throw has changed.

Latest posts